Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

hand signals...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

hand signals...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 03:59 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Old 11-06-20, 03:45 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I had a weird incident last year. We have small, residential blocks here, with light traffic; I was coming to my left turn, so I signaled and took the lane about the middle of the block. A man in a pickup behind me swerved into the oncoming lane to get ahead of me and then he made a right turn. I have never figured out the point of that stunt. We were both lucky no one turned into him.
Old 11-06-20, 08:54 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I had a weird incident last year. We have small, residential blocks here, with light traffic; I was coming to my left turn, so I signaled and took the lane about the middle of the block. A man in a pickup behind me swerved into the oncoming lane to get ahead of me and then he made a right turn. I have never figured out the point of that stunt. We were both lucky no one turned into him.
Pure Gasholery.... and selfish disregard for life.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-06-20, 10:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I see more drivers doing stupid things while I'm driving that threaten my safety than I do when cycling. So it's very likely those that act stupidly to cyclist also act stupidly to other motorists.

Please don't ask for proof, but I will say that three out of every four people make up seventy-five percent of the population.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-03-21, 03:57 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
hysterical!
Old 08-17-21, 01:35 PM
db143

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do we think of sticking an arm straight out vs. curling the opposite behind the back for signalling?

Sometimes with the arm straight out method I feel it is at risk of getting hit. I do always check behind before signalling, but a motorbike or anything can come up very quickly.

However, arm behind back seems much less noticeable.
Old 08-17-21, 03:38 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
I'm kind of sick of all the motorists that wave to me when I signal a turn...although that hot babe the other day that "waved" back was kind of nice

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that does this, but when I have to take the lane, I've learned not to just do a simple hand signal to the left, because it's kind of ambivalent, since I'm not really taking a left turn.

What I do is stick my arm out and point down to the road and I start bobbing my hand up and down, with my fingers facing downwards at the road; this way the guy in the further left doesn't think I'm coming into that lane.

Old 08-17-21, 03:40 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by db143
What do we think of sticking an arm straight out vs. curling the opposite behind the back for signalling?

Sometimes with the arm straight out method I feel it is at risk of getting hit. I do always check behind before signalling, but a motorbike or anything can come up very quickly.

However, arm behind back seems much less noticeable.
I just automatically check before putting my hand out, I do think a hand behind the back would be too difficult to see.
Old 08-18-21, 02:52 AM
db143

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm kind of sick of all the motorists that wave to me when I signal a turn...although that hot babe the other day that "waved" back was kind of nice

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that does this, but when I have to take the lane, I've learned not to just do a simple hand signal to the left, because it's kind of ambivalent, since I'm not really taking a left turn.

What I do is stick my arm out and point down to the road and I start bobbing my hand up and down, with my fingers facing downwards at the road; this way the guy in the further left doesn't think I'm coming into that lane.

I do similar work4bike, if I am signalling any turn at all, I will begin by checking behind me, locking eyes if there's a driver near me, and pointing to indicate while waving my hand/wrist so as to draw more attention. Looks a bit "look at me" but that is the whole point.