Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about downsizing my bike inventory

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-09-16, 07:21 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts

Well, I'm thinking about doing the unspeakable, and getting rid of my road bike (a CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red) and just using my CX bike for road. A couple of reasons:

1) I've been on a quest to simplify life lately.
2) This past summer I set my fastest 100 mile time ever on my CX bike, running it with road wheels/tires.

Which, of course, illustrated the fact that - properly configured - my CX bike has no discernible performance disadvantages compared to my road bike. Maybe if I were a pro, or even a Cat 2, those seconds would matter, but it's clear to me that the differences are in seconds, not in minutes.

Just random thought to share in an internet vacuum. Anyone else done this? (CX bike only, not shared random thoughts. I'm sure we've all done the latter.)
Old 03-09-16, 07:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Get rid of a bike? This just does not compute.....
Old 03-09-16, 07:41 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
well I'm +1 to a gravel/adventure/do it all bike and will probably got to n=1 once I have that set up. I am currently n=1 with carbon road bike. I have owned as many as 4 at once but as an apartment dweller I've always had limited space. Now I'm married with a kid so even less of my own space so having 1 bike makes everything easier for me. I'm also almost 40 and average 15 mph on my 15 lb bike on a good day (with varied elevation) so a slightly heavier bike with more relaxed geo isn't going to effect me that much
Old 03-09-16, 07:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It's your choice, but I do favor having a "backup" bike in case your usual one has a serious mechanical.
Old 03-09-16, 07:47 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to downsize from 4 road bikes and 2 single speeds, because I live in a smallish apartment. But I love them all.
Old 03-09-16, 07:58 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Blasphemy!

Old 03-09-16, 08:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
As a show of good will, I will, here and now, declare that I will accept free of charge, and in the spirit of providing you all with a more simplified, clutter-free, and honest life, accept any velocular vehicles that you wish to remove from your current life experience. I promise to cherish and provide them with such lubricants and bolt tightenings as might be necessary over their lifetimes, as well as provide for proper burial when the time comes.
Old 03-09-16, 08:15 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Well, since I currently have 3 working bikes (road, cross, and weather/utility beater), the backup bike is taken care of.

Problem is, while I might not NEED my road bike, I really LIKE my road bike. So...
Old 03-09-16, 09:01 PM
tiiger
Boots lost in transit

Bikes: 1989 Ritchey Outback, 2014 All-City Macho Man Disc, 2016 Wilier GTS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A new carbon road bike is imminent, but I'm toying with the idea of replacing my commuter (Surly Steamroller Fixed) and my old MTB (1989 Ritchey Outback) with one bike: an All-City Macho Man Disc.

So I smell what you're cooking.

Plus, I'm also in St. Paul, so depending on how you're cooking it, I might literally smell what you're cooking.
Old 03-10-16, 12:19 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a special place for people like you,, IN HELL !!

EVERYONE GRAB YOUR PITCH FORKS !!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grab your pitch forks.jpg (73.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-10-16, 12:42 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just send that bike here. I'd be quite happy with it.
Old 03-10-16, 06:26 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I need every one of my bikes. Each has a niche purpose. In fact, I'm looking for a reason to get a sixth.

Getting rid of one... that's just silly talk.
Old 03-10-16, 06:54 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I never went the "only CX bike" route, but I think I could if I wasn't mountain biking too. The bike would do a lot of things really well and you could pretty much ride anywhere. The gearing is a bit different on a CX bike, and the geometry is too, but all that can be worked with to provide thousands of "anywhere" miles.

I'm currently selling my Rivendell road bike and replacing it with a different road bike; I don't really think I could be without something that I can just leave the house with and enjoy a thirty mile solo ride after work. I need a bike that does that just for sanity...but a good CX bike could do that too. I can see simplifying that way.
Old 03-10-16, 08:21 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link0
I'm trying to downsize from 4 road bikes and 2 single speeds, because I live in a smallish apartment. But I love them all.
I'm curious how you choose which to ride on a given day? Do you just rotate them or is it a case of horses for courses.
Old 03-10-16, 08:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
A CX bike ticks a lot of boxes for me if I were to downsize. I do a lot of riding on my soma doublecross.
Old 03-10-16, 08:49 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A thought- you could lend your road bike to someone who could benefit from it but couldn't afford it. Maybe a young person. And that way you could always get it back if you needed it (wreck your CX frame...) and in the meantime it would do a lot of good for someone.
Old 03-10-16, 09:18 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The majority of people that actually own bikes in this world, own only one, so you will be in pretty good company.

I got the bug to downsize two years ago so I sold off two and gave away one but kept my Rivendell and I kept my Brompton as a back-up. I have never regretted this decision. It was a lifestyle choice for me and one I don't regret.
Old 03-10-16, 09:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I'm curious how you choose which to ride on a given day? Do you just rotate them or is it a case of horses for courses.
The latter for me. Factors such as rain/moisture on the road, ice/snow, about of 'stuff' you carry would factor into the decision.

I find my two bikes without fenders rarely get used because I don't do much riding on the weekends anymore. Kind of a shame, really, cause I like riding them.
Old 03-10-16, 09:37 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
When I had a bad crash that ruined one of my frames, I very nearly sold my road bike to buy a Trek Boone as my road/gravel/commuter all in one bike. I ended up with a Domane and later bought a Crockett frameset, but still got rid of the original road bike. I am SO glad I got the Domane. I do some road rides on the Crockett, but it just isn't the same as a purpose built road bike in its purest form. And the Crockett can do stuff I'd probably seriously hurt myself on if I attempted it on the Domane.

I do understand the desire to simplify, and I've had two previous sales made with the intention of downsizing and never regretted it, but I think I always need at least one proper road bike to keep me happy. However, it's all personal. Best of luck on your decision.
Old 03-10-16, 09:41 AM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
good idea, sell the plastic and pick up some metal, Ti would be fine steel also great choice for a non racer. why non racers buy carbon bike baffles me every day... then you will have a reason to keep the road bike also, because its coupled and Ti for travel...
Old 03-10-16, 10:32 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I rode my Colnago CX bike yesterday, road tires, and thought exactly the same thing. I like the way it handles and the gearing is fine for anything short of a tailwind sprint with buddies. I should just swap out a couple parts to reduce its 22# weight and ride it all of the time. I like it that much.

Old 03-10-16, 11:29 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
If you change the equation to N-1 you will eventually have either zero bikes or a negative number of bikes and since you can't have a negative number of bikes that equation isn't possible. I'm sorry. You logically cannot get rid of one bike without replacing it.
Old 03-10-16, 11:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
It makes sense if you're trying to simplify or downsizing your home significantly. I have evidently been doing the opposite, so I'll have to get rid of other crap. It is hard to get rid of a bike unless I am replacing it with something else. That said, I do ride on trails in the winter and mountain bike the rest of the time. I need many bikes.
Old 03-10-16, 12:05 PM
tiiger
Boots lost in transit

Bikes: 1989 Ritchey Outback, 2014 All-City Macho Man Disc, 2016 Wilier GTS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MZilliox
why non racers buy carbon bike baffles me every day...
Why?

I have nice, professional-quality musical instruments, but I'm not a pro, by any stretch.

(Not saying all carbon bikes are professional caliber, but a nice carbon bike can be a real treat to ride.)
Old 03-10-16, 12:06 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Didn't someone start a thread a couple days ago asking for a free bike?

edit: here she thead https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...road-bike.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.