Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Barbed wire "boobytrap" on bike path.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Barbed wire "boobytrap" on bike path.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 11:16 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
When I was still in Miami, some d-bags threw a box full of thumbtacks all over the bikelanes on the most popular weekend riding route in the city, knowing full well that there would be a few hundred cyclists riding at dawn the next morning. I got one flat, but there were literally 30-40 people stopped on the side of the road changing tubes since a large shop ride hit the patch at the same time and virtually all of them ended up flatting. Some good Samaritans came back with big brooms and cleared the paths, but I don't think anyone ever figured out who threw the tacks down.
Probably the owner of the shop who's ride got super flatted. Imagine how much tube revenue that box of tacks would generate!
Old 03-14-16, 11:27 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
When I was still in Miami, some d-bags threw a box full of thumbtacks all over the bikelanes on the most popular weekend riding route in the city, knowing full well that there would be a few hundred cyclists riding at dawn the next morning. I got one flat, but there were literally 30-40 people stopped on the side of the road changing tubes since a large shop ride hit the patch at the same time and virtually all of them ended up flatting. Some good Samaritans came back with big brooms and cleared the paths, but I don't think anyone ever figured out who threw the tacks down.
One of the biggest rides locally has had tacks put down on roads a few times the night before. It's normally just people lashing out for no reason. At least it's generally not as bad as that guy who was throwing chunks of cinderblock at cyclists' and pedestrians' heads.
Old 03-14-16, 12:38 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
One of the biggest rides locally has had tacks put down on roads a few times the night before. It's normally just people lashing out for no reason. At least it's generally not as bad as that guy who was throwing chunks of cinderblock at cyclists' and pedestrians' heads.
Remember that same thing happened a few years ago at one of the stages in the tour de france. I think 20 or 30 riders flatted.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-14-16, 09:15 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
What's the other option? Bunny hop the barbed wire and hope the next poor schmuck to come along sees it and has mad bunny hopping skills too?
Keep moving, be alert! Get a couple hundred yards away from the site. Then with your bike in good get-a-way gears pull out your phone and send a pin to the local police. Remain alert and prepared to defend the position/protect other cyclists. Remember.... the "poor schmuck".... isn't coming along later. You are the poor schmuck.
Old 03-14-16, 09:25 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
One of the biggest rides locally has had tacks put down on roads a few times the night before. It's normally just people lashing out for no reason.........
Not all human behavior is sane or normal.... but "lashing out for no reason" isn't a human behavior I am familiar with.
Old 03-14-16, 09:39 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
? I would never stop near a booby-trapped area... as the stopping and dismounting would likely be the exact behavior the guys (with baseball bats) that set up the trap want you to do.
Keep moving, be alert! Get a couple hundred yards away from the site. Then with your bike in good get-a-way gears pull out your phone and send a pin to the local police. Remain alert and prepared to defend the position/protect other cyclists. Remember.... the "poor schmuck".... isn't coming along later. You are the poor schmuck.

This is the best advice of all in this entire thread. Point taken - people don't do this without some expectation of reward.

J.
Old 03-14-16, 09:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
The pop-psych is tremendously lame, as in, couldn't get any more meaningless.
Old 03-15-16, 07:33 AM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Some of you may not beleive this is a legit story. There is always a conspiracy theorist in the bunch. As the thread has gone on, several other examples have been shown that this does happen. If you call BS on the story, so be it, to each their own.

In my local area there was a guy that did the thumb tacks in the street thing because he didn't like cyclists passing his place. After several flats people started to really complain because it was a public street. I know the guy was unapologetic, but not sure what ever happened with the case.
Old 03-15-16, 09:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Not all human behavior is sane or normal.... but "lashing out for no reason" isn't a human behavior I am familiar with.
It's a figure of speech. It means that whatever the reason, it was not related to you and would have been unpredictable. Sometimes it's really as simple as that. For example: road rage.
Old 03-15-16, 10:04 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I frequently see deer, coyotes, foxes, racoons, muskrats, woodchucks, even a mother beaver and two kits, using the paved trail along the fox river......
The fauna along the Fox River trails is very diverse indeed. I even saw a hobo passed out on the trail last suday. I almost ran him over... NO joke!
Old 03-15-16, 10:27 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'll bet it was down by Aurora downtown........
Old 03-15-16, 10:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Ah, the FRT or the Fart as I call it: full of weaving riders going 8 MPH, full of oblivious runners running three abreast with headphones in and full of dogs off the leash (one of whom bit me last year). The path is inconsistently marked, extremely poorly planned around any town center and actually has stairs on it (it's a friggen bike path, guys) on more than one occasion. Large sections of it have been randomly closed for years with no sign that anyone is trying to actually fix them. Try to figure out the South Elgin intersection of the Prairie Path and the Fart if you've never been there. Go on, give it a try, I dare you. Try to figure out how the hell to get through Geneva on the Fart if you haven't been there before. Why the F$%^ did they route the thing right through a major park? God I hate that path.

Back to the topic at hand. This is my personal nightmare. I ride on a tree lined path in the dark frequently and I could easily see some dumbass trying this. Barbed wire is at least somewhat visible, try piano wire...
Old 03-15-16, 10:43 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have heard stories that some members of The Sahara Club would booty trap dirk trails with the intent to cause death. He is a site with how to's
Earth First's "Death Manual"
Old 03-15-16, 10:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
They did it the same thing here in the area West of Atlanta recently.

Busted the lights in a tunnel on the local MUP and put concrete blocks and rocks in the path.

If they did it to motorists on the road the entire community would rise up.
Old 03-15-16, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
One of the biggest rides locally has had tacks put down on roads a few times the night before.
Someone/people were doing this in Oregon around the Larch Mountain area a decade or so ago. There is a big climb there. At the top there is area where you can see five mountain peaks, including Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Saint Helens. It was a popular area to cycle in. The tacks were believed to be put down by one or more locals who didn't like "rich city folks" with their fancy bikes and spandex coming into their piece of the world. Cycle Oregon used the climb and descent in 2005. Before the ride there was much concern among some participants of a repeat, but I think the patrols of SAG vehicles were a deterrent.

BTW...I think there was also another MTB trail sabotage incident in Canada recently. Believe there is a thread about it on the A&S forum.
Old 03-15-16, 11:04 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'll bet it was down by Aurora downtown........
Believe it or not it was downtown St. Charles on the pedestrian bridge. I was coming fast and the dude was laying across the path. I went to the side not sure I could've bunny hopped him.
Old 03-15-16, 11:11 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
Believe it or not it was downtown St. Charles on the pedestrian bridge. I was coming fast and the dude was laying across the path. I went to the side not sure I could've bunny hopped him.
There is a MUP in Denver that follows a stream, and is well below street level.
The entrance/exit ramps to get to/from the street, are quite steep.
A co-worker was cycling down a ramp which was accelerating him into the shadow under a bridge.
Just as he entered the shadow he realized there was a sleeping bum, stretched all the way across the MUP.
He said he didn't know he could bunny-hop that high!