Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Silver Comet Trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 12:53 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
Silver Comet Trail

Is the trail open completely? Planning a ride from Smyrna all the way to Anniston.

Thanks
Old 06-04-21, 07:19 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Is the trail open completely? Planning a ride from Smyrna all the way to Anniston.

Thanks
AFAIK, it is. I've seen riders post about riding complete rides from either end to the state line.
What I don't know is whether the roots-raised areas between the state line and Piedmont, AL have been addressed yet. I know riders painted warnings around these areas on the pavement, though, so just be on the lookout.
There are riders here from Bham that do an out-and-back full trail from Weaver (Anniston) to the GA end and back each June weekend closest to the Solstice. I attempted one year but turned around in Dallas and ended up with 149mi.
Old 06-08-21, 09:14 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Trail is open. A portion of the roots, (Chief Ladiga) have been ground down near Piedmont and Jacksonville, AL. This is the far West 33 mile piece from the Georgia / Alabama line to Anniston.
Most of the Georgia section (Silver Comet -65 mile) is all concrete with no problems. First 15 miles (East end) is asphalt, Cobb County, Smyrna, Georgia section.
Lots of walkers on the Smyrna MP 0 at the far East end, just slow down. All is a good shady and scenic ride.
Likes For 1979schwinn:
Old 06-08-21, 09:25 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Here is a good web site with mile markers and information.
https://bikesilvercomet.com/default.aspx