Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How much saddle to bar drop on your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 12:04 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

How many cm saddle to bar drop in your gravel setup?
Old 02-06-18, 03:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
How many cm saddle to bar drop in your gravel setup?
About 2cm.

But this is highly personal, right? Different riders want and need different things. I am in my fifties and have a neck that was screwed up in a car wreck, so less drop works for me. You might ride better (faster, more comfortably, whatever) with less drop...Or with more drop.
Old 02-06-18, 05:27 PM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
3 and a half inch from seat top to top of bar were the hoods mount... wish it had less drop, but Im more leg than arm/torso so stack hight is always a challenge.. already running a stem with some rise and even bars with rise (Specialized Hover Adventure bars)

If I rode steeper and more rocky roads/trails on it I would need less drop.. on pavement and fairly smooth fire road its good.

The drop is going to vary on body type/flexibility and depend on the type of terrain you ride... I have seen guys way faster than me on both fairly level bars and drops so low they look like velodrome bikes to me.
Old 02-06-18, 06:05 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Unpopular theory:
Saddle to bar dropis irrelevant in the face of effective stack and effective reach.

Your saddle should be where it needs to be for your legs, KOPS be damned. Your hand position relative to your bottom bracket is a far better way to judge how your bike handles.
Old 02-07-18, 07:49 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
None. If anything, I think my bars are a little higher than my saddle.
Likes For kuroba:
Old 02-07-18, 08:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
Unpopular theory:
Saddle to bar dropis irrelevant in the face of effective stack and effective reach.

Your saddle should be where it needs to be for your legs, KOPS be damned. Your hand position relative to your bottom bracket is a far better way to judge how your bike handles.
I'm not a bike fit expert and have only a vague sense of what "stack" and "reach" refer to...But I do agree with the sentiment. KOPS does not work for me -- I prefer my knees several cm behind the pedal spindles, and have ridden for years in that position - as much as 200 miles per day.
Old 02-07-18, 08:21 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
About 2cm.

But this is highly personal, right? Different riders want and need different things. I am in my fifties and have a neck that was screwed up in a car wreck, so less drop works for me. You might ride better (faster, more comfortably, whatever) with less drop...Or with more drop.
Of course. There have been a few such threads in the Road forum, but I was curious to see how people had their fit set up for Gravel in comparison.

I am around 2cm as well.

Unpopular theory:

Stack/reach are useful when comparing frame geometries of different bikes. And agree that saddle position is absolute. But when judging your fit on the bike, your reference is off where you are sitting. Once saddle position is determined, one has a range of options to position the upper body with the stem and bars relative to the saddle.
Old 02-07-18, 08:33 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I am not talking merely about frame stack and reach, but effective stack and reach of the whole bike. that is, where your hands end up, relative to the BB, when the bike is built up. basically, stack and reach + stem and handlbar dimensions. there are multiple positions that you can acheive that will be comfortable to sit and pedal in a static position that can be described in terms of cockpit length and saddle-bar drop. unless we're talking about a stationary exercise bike, this information is only partially useful.

if you steer, accelerate, stand up, sprint, ride over any sort of rough terrain, etc, the effective stack and reach, as I described it above, will tell you more about how confidently the bike handles under you. once you stand up on the bike, saddle-bar drop goes out the window from one bike to the next because BB drop, head tube angle, and such vary from one bike to the next.
Old 02-07-18, 08:36 AM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't measured exactly but it's about 4 cm. On my road bike I have about 8 cm so it's a decent amount higher than that.

Re: KOPS, I think most people think of it as a starting point which is then tweaked to the rider preference and comfort. I've tried both forward and behind KOPS and have been most comfortable about a cm in front of it. I had some IT band issues with the saddle behind KOPS.
Old 02-07-18, 10:18 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
What do you hope to learn from answers that are totally dependent on so many variables?
Good point. This thread is like asking "what size shoe do you wear?"
Old 02-07-18, 11:11 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Agreed. With everything above.
Old 02-07-18, 11:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Almost 9. A little low for gravel, but I've got to get there as well.

Ben
Old 02-07-18, 11:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My gravel bike is my road bike. I don't see them as different things, more like different ends of a spectrum from smooth and fresh tarmac through chipseal to gravel.
Old 02-07-18, 02:57 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Almost 9. A little low for gravel, but I've got to get there as well.

Ben
I like your style. #Roadie4Life
Old 02-07-18, 03:15 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Looks to be around 11cm drop from saddle nose to center of clamp.

That means little by itself, though. Saddle-to-handlebar reach, handlebar style, location and type of things mounted on the handlebar, rider physiology, and rider's preferences for holding the handlebars all affect the implications of a given drop value.
Old 02-07-18, 06:59 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Explain?
How is it not relevant
Old 02-07-18, 07:13 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Explain?
How is it not relevant
It's not irrelevant, but if it's all you have to go on, it doesn't tell you much.

Old 02-07-18, 11:47 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My bar tops are about a 1/4 inch higher than my saddle top on my road bike and on my gravel bike. With my very inflexible neck, that measurement is very important because I like being able to see what is up the road ahead of me and not just what is a couple of feet beyond my front wheel. It is actually my saddle to brake hoods distance that I change for gravel with my gravel bike about an inch shorter.

When I look at the geometry chart of a new bike, stack and reach are the first numbers I look at to get an idea how much I'll need to work with handlebar reach and stem angle and length and spacers to achieve the position I want.
Old 02-08-18, 07:47 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

this might be my favorite thing on the internet ever- Stack and reach calculator
Old 02-08-18, 08:20 AM
tyCycler
Noob

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a road and gravel bike with almost the same geometry measurements, but one thing I did not take into account when choosing the gravel frame size was the shortened 'effective' reach on the bars from where the SRAM brake levers are positioned relative to my road bike Shimano setup. The SRAM setup on the Diverge bars are at least 1.5 inches closer to the head tube vs the Trek Shimano setup.

Point being that when you compare reach and stack when purchasing a new bike, it does not account for hood position on the bars for a given bike.

A stem change could resolve and match the reach of the trek, but I'm actually ok with where I ended up in the stock configuration, but it was another point of measurement I did not take into account and unless I'm missing something, is not published on any of the bike sites geometry info I've seen; that is the distance from head tube to 'hands on the hoods' position.
Old 02-08-18, 08:53 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by tyCycler
I have a road and gravel bike with almost the same geometry measurements, but one thing I did not take into account when choosing the gravel frame size was the shortened 'effective' reach on the bars from where the SRAM brake levers are positioned relative to my road bike Shimano setup. The SRAM setup on the Diverge bars are at least 1.5 inches closer to the head tube vs the Trek Shimano setup.

Point being that when you compare reach and stack when purchasing a new bike, it does not account for hood position on the bars for a given bike.

A stem change could resolve and match the reach of the trek, but I'm actually ok with where I ended up in the stock configuration, but it was another point of measurement I did not take into account and unless I'm missing something, is not published on any of the bike sites geometry info I've seen; that is the distance from head tube to 'hands on the hoods' position.
Stem length has nothing to do with stack and reach. Neither does the reach of the handlebars, something a lot of people don't take into account. Not all bars have the same reach and that matters.
Old 02-08-18, 09:16 AM
tyCycler
Noob

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Stem length has nothing to do with stack and reach. Neither does the reach of the handlebars, something a lot of people don't take into account. Not all bars have the same reach and that matters.
Yep, that is exactly my point.
Old 02-08-18, 09:17 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by tyCycler
Yep, that is exactly my point.
Roger that!
Old 02-08-18, 09:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Unpopular theory:

Hmmm, I'm not understanding your point.

For me, I look at:
1) saddle height (not important with a frame, as it is highly adjustable)
2) Cockpit length (stem plus top tube)
3) handlebar to stem drop.

Those 3 things tell me how I fit the bike (the 3 touch points, and angle of lean). Nothing else really matters, does it?

Saddle to bar drop is critical for me. Stack (handlebar) is adjustable - but for a specific bike - will it adjust to a range that gives me the saddle-handlebar drop I need? (e.g. the lean angle I want?)
Old 02-08-18, 09:48 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
It's not irrelevant, but if it's all you have to go on, it doesn't tell you much.

My good man that is not even a fair comparison ignore the wacked out now illegal position. It does matter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.