Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-biking is not only about bicycles :)

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-07-20, 04:42 AM
iik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Old 06-07-20, 05:47 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I was thinking about my teenage years riding a moped. Ebikes are mopeds that have reversed the mode of power to human power. The two pictures represent my first vehicle and the second maybe my next vehicle.The Juiced Scorpion is a modern interpretation of a Moped/Ebike.

Last edited by alloo; 06-13-20 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-07-20, 06:25 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
First, they are different in the law. That is important, and it is important that they remain separated and not to be confused.

The reason that it is so important is that mopeds were effectively legislated out of existence. I am not going to argue that there are no mopeds. However, they have lost their ubiquitousness. I even remember that my middle school teacher rode one.

Then came registration, insurance, and other requirements that pushed them into pointlessness. When I had mine it had a bicycle license and I was able to ride it as soon as I had my learners permit. However, with the changes, they suddenly had no advantage over a motorcycle. As a motorcycle safety issue, these changes took kids from riding a moped for a year, learning at speeds that had very survivable crashes, to learning on a motorcycle with significantly more power and speed.

Of course, the reality was that most teens bypassed the motorcycle entirely and went straight to private autos. This increased the impression that cycles were "kid stuff," and increased the risk to cyclists.

It is important to continue to make it clear that eBikes are what they are in law, bicycles. Not to confuse the issue by making up our own definitions. This is important when we consider that the group of bicyclists that are so intent on making up their own definitions of eBikes are the very ones that are committed to reducing the rights of eBike riders by playing the exact playbook that was used to end the moped boom and push people back into private autos.
Old 06-13-20, 01:47 AM
iik

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What is the 2nd model alloo ?
Old 06-13-20, 03:34 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Old 06-13-20, 06:23 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Nice, I just got a Catrike expedition, but it is going to stay non-electric.

I am in the process of converting my Rotovelo to e-bike. I started with a Direct drive hub that has a 5-speed internal gear hub. The idea was to be able to use regen, as a Rotovelo is actually pretty heavy. However, that drive system simply didn't work, it was a pretty expensive lesson.

I am now putting a Bafang BBS02 and a NuVinci N380 on it. This is basically the way my previous touring e-trike was configured.

I mention this with the observation that you went with a geared rear hub. I rode an ICE set up that way and it worked well. Why the single sprocket? Is it really flat where you ride?
Old 06-14-20, 11:27 AM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Nice, I just got a Catrike expedition, but it is going to stay non-electric.

I am in the process of converting my Rotovelo to e-bike. I started with a Direct drive hub that has a 5-speed internal gear hub. The idea was to be able to use regen, as a Rotovelo is actually pretty heavy. However, that drive system simply didn't work, it was a pretty expensive lesson.

I am now putting a Bafang BBS02 and a NuVinci N380 on it. This is basically the way my previous touring e-trike was configured.

I mention this with the observation that you went with a geared rear hub. I rode an ICE set up that way and it worked well. Why the single sprocket? Is it really flat where you ride?
I was apprehensive about converting....I love to ride my bikes and did not want to slow it down with a ton of e-component weight and unpowered motor drag. So I engineered it so the stock unpowered wheel can be swapped out with the hub-motor wheel. Battery pops off. Process to go from e-powered to stock non-powered takes about one minute.
Regarding 1X chainring setup: I live in Florida (very flat) and found that I never used the small or medium rings. I was able to shave off almost 2lbs by converting to a 1X narrow/wide setup with lighter crankset.
Old 06-14-20, 12:46 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Most mopeds I recall were 2 stroke - another reason for them to disappear - they were just horrible for the air quality. Spewing combined gas and oil everywhere. Yuck. +1 for Electric.
Old 06-15-20, 05:39 AM
Robert C

Originally Posted by linberl
Most mopeds I recall were 2 stroke - another reason for them to disappear - they were just horrible for the air quality. Spewing combined gas and oil everywhere. Yuck. +1 for Electric.
Most were 2-stroke, as were many small motorcycles of the era. There was no technical reason for 2-stroke, some, but admittedly not may, were four-stroke. Mostly it was about cost and performance, in theory, a 2-stroke engine could produce twice the power, for a given displacement, as a 4-stroke engine. In practice, it didn't work that way. The biggest real advantages were cost and weight, which yes, could lead to better performance.

Modern 2-stroke engines are certainly cleaner than they were at the time. However, remember, there was no requirement that they be 2-stroke, it was just a business decision by the manufacturers. Using 4-stroke engines would have been cleaner.

I certainly am not arguing that we should scrap our eBikes to get mopeds. What I am saying is that we need to avoid saying "Moped" when talking about eBikes. Further, we need to be vigilant in making sure that eBikes continue to be treated as bicycles.

The lesson from the moped boom and bust is not that we should return to 2-stroke mopeds. The lesson is that we need to be vigilant in ensuring that eBikes are not legislated into a very small, nearly non-existent, corner of the market.

There are those, even on this forum, who would like a mandate that eBikes only be used in environments where they are extremely ill-suited. No one should doubt that this would be a component of an effective ban. No, in and of itself it would not be a ban, just as the lesson from mopeds is that they were never banned. However, they clearly ceased to be, and evolve as, a viable transportation alternative. We need to make sure that our own language does not facilitate those who want an effective ban on eBikes.