Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

28 on back 25 on front

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

28 on back 25 on front

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 08:56 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
28 on back 25 on front

Physics say yes, what say you?
Old 08-29-20, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What Physics?

What ever.. I don't think Isaac Newton wrote about bike tires .. do you have a Thesis to quote ... footnotes??

I bought 2 406 - 40 tires, I always put the new one on the front, the old front a 406 - 47 is on the back,
when its worn I'll put another 40-406.. on the front...

will 3mm matter? others ask can I put a fatter tire on the front to be more comfortable ?

you certainly can try it..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-29-20 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 09:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
No worries. BITD, it was pretty common to run 25 or 23mm tires on the rear and 18 or 20mm tires in front.
Old 08-29-20, 11:08 AM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I'm not really sure if there's any gain in having the narrower tire up front. Most of the weight is in the rear, so I'd use the narrower tire there since it'll run higher pressure and roll with less resistance. Then the larger tire up front can take up bumps better.
Likes For crankholio:
Old 08-29-20, 11:45 AM
BillyJohnLee

Bikes: Scott speedster flatbar, univega fixed gear conversion, Dawes Galaxy MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have done 23/25 tbh couldn't notice the difference in ride between that and 25/25.
Old 08-29-20, 11:49 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Puffier tire on the front
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-29-20, 12:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Typically a wider tire in front will provide more cushion than one on the rear. I really doubt that there is any speed difference regardless. Although 25 to 28 is not going to make much more of a smoother ride, you might as well take advantage of it.

John
Old 08-29-20, 12:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
I'm not really sure if there's any gain in having the narrower tire up front. Most of the weight is in the rear, so I'd use the narrower tire there since it'll run higher pressure and roll with less resistance. Then the larger tire up front can take up bumps better.
Backwards. The rear bears more weight so would benefit from more tire if you're going to run staggered tire sizes. Why would you over inflate a smaller tire on the rear just to wind up increasing the crr and lowering the ride quality?

Also, aero wise.......run the narrower up front since the front wheel sees undisturbed air and benefits from that. The rear sees the air already churning by the bike and rider, so the larger tire doesn't matter as much.

If there isn't a bicycle dimension restricting what I use and I'm not racing......I use the same. If I'm in a TT, smaller front optimized to the wheel larger rear optimized for crr. Cyclocross same size for both, the most I can run on the bike suitable for the conditions and allowed at the race.

But yes, you can do it. It is common. And the smaller one goes up front.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-29-20, 12:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I recall a tire set sold like that - narrower tire for front, wider tire for rear. Go for it!
Old 08-29-20, 12:30 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
Maybe the front would be softer, but then the rear would be much harsher. The gain isn't in having a narrow tire in front, it's having a wider tire in the rear.

And I believe it's been shown that higher pressure narrow tires don't necessarily have lower rolling resistance.
Old 08-29-20, 12:30 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Backwards. The rear bears more weight so would benefit from more tire if you're going to run staggered tire sizes. Why would you over inflate a smaller tire on the rear just to wind up increasing the crr and lowering the ride quality?

Also, aero wise.......run the narrower up front since the front wheel sees undisturbed air and benefits from that. The rear sees the air already churning by the bike and rider, so the larger tire doesn't matter as much.

If there isn't a bicycle dimension restricting what I use and I'm not racing......I use the same. If I'm in a TT, smaller front optimized to the wheel larger rear optimized for crr. Cyclocross same size for both, the most I can run on the bike suitable for the conditions and allowed at the race.

But yes, you can do it. It is common. And the smaller one goes up front.
The rear could be wider. It would improve power transfer, stability and braking. I am toying with the idea. It makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 08-29-20, 12:38 PM
trailangel

Larger tire goes on the front.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-29-20, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Opinion-theories abound on many topics , this being one ..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-29-20, 12:44 PM
Mulberry20

I cannot think of another application where the larger tire goes on front.

Physics would confirm the rear.
Old 08-29-20, 01:03 PM
trailangel

Which is easier to control. A front tire washout or rear tire washout.
Put this in your physics slide ruler.
Old 08-29-20, 01:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never understood the logic behind putting a smaller tire up front and bigger in the rear and it doesn't make sense to me for a bike that is used on pavement. I prefer the same size tires on my bikes which I use for pavement or gravel riding...but if I was going to run different sized tires I would put bigger tire up front for better handling and comfort and smaller tire on the rear for better acceleration and rolling resistance....Right now I am running different sized tires on one of my mountain bikes: 2.35 inches in the rear and 2.5 inches up front. The bigger tire up front gives me better handling, traction and comfort and the slightly smaller tire in the rear gives me better acceleration and makes climbing hills easier.
Old 08-29-20, 01:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Physics say yes, what say you?
I say it doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-29-20, 04:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’d say people sometimes overestimate the difference in weight distribution because they don’t consider the weight distribution during braking nor while standing out of the saddle. I prefer to run the front pressure no more than 10% below the rear. So I just run similar tire sizes.

OTOH, it will totally work to run different sizes front and rear. It accomplishes different things depending on where you put the larger tire. Larger tire in back and you could run pressures the same, and probably is more efficient. Larger tire in front means lower pressure and maybe easier on your hands.

Otto
Old 08-29-20, 04:59 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
That’s what’s on all my bikes, except for the Sports Tourer. Played around with the pressures, and settled on 85psi rear, and 75 psi front. But then again the roads around my house really suck!
Tim
Old 08-29-20, 05:25 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
For the front, one should use narrower tires that are supple and lighter weight overall, this will translate into faster reaction to turning. Supple casing means more shock absorption. Also, if you use aero wheels, most are optimized for a 23mm or 25mm tire. A good front tire would be something like Veloflex Corsa or Vittoria Corsa.

For the rear, one should wider tires with harder casing and a tad tougher rubber. This is mainly for wear and puncture resistance. A good example here would be Conti 5000GP, Vittoria Rubino series,

There is nothing more enjoyable then riding a front tire that allows the bike to carve naturally around curves. I have tried 28mm tire for the front once, then took it off after a few ride. It's akin to buying Ducati and then proceed to put Harley tires on them... very vague, floaty, and imprecise feel for the front. Oh sure, if you use a wider tire and lower the pressure, it'll give you more comfort... until you try to hard corner,.. then you curse wtf!
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 08-29-20, 05:48 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Bigger tires all around. I've got 700x32's on both front and rear on my roadie and single speed. Tour bike has 700 x 35's. No problems with either set up.
Old 08-29-20, 06:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
The rear could be wider. It would improve power transfer, stability and braking. I am toying with the idea. It makes a whole lot of sense.
Power transfer? You have traction problems on acceleration, now that’s a first.
Stability? Your rear tire has stability issues, that’s also a first.
Braking? Considering weight transfer and all never considered the rear having a major influence on braking performance! A first for me.
Old 08-30-20, 01:16 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
While it's an interesting question, I'm not convinced anyone can tell the difference.
Old 08-30-20, 01:36 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Only if you make more than 0.33 Horsepower.
You’re not a dragster. Unless you routinely spin out on your 25s, tires won’t have any effect on power transfer.
Same for braking; skids under braking are more to do with weight shift, or lack there of, than tire contact patch.

In the rigid MTB days, it was not uncommon to run a bigger tire on the front, so you could run lower pressure for absorbing bumps, and for more float over the loose stuff.

No no real reason to stagger sizes on a road bike, unless those are the only two tires that you happen to have on hand. In that case, I’d run the 28 on the front, since your hands aren’t as good of a shock absorbers as your butt.
Old 08-30-20, 08:33 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
For the front, one should use narrower tires that are supple and lighter weight overall, this will translate into faster reaction to turning. Supple casing means more shock absorption. Also, if you use aero wheels, most are optimized for a 23mm or 25mm tire. A good front tire would be something like Veloflex Corsa or Vittoria Corsa.

For the rear, one should wider tires with harder casing and a tad tougher rubber. This is mainly for wear and puncture resistance. A good example here would be Conti 5000GP, Vittoria Rubino series,

There is nothing more enjoyable then riding a front tire that allows the bike to carve naturally around curves. I have tried 28mm tire for the front once, then took it off after a few ride. It's akin to buying Ducati and then proceed to put Harley tires on them... very vague, floaty, and imprecise feel for the front. Oh sure, if you use a wider tire and lower the pressure, it'll give you more comfort... until you try to hard corner,.. then you curse wtf!
For those of us who regularly ride gravel and crushed stone, 32 mm is just about the smallest useful width, so we have that to consider.

If that is not a factor and it’s only for road use, there is still a consideration of the effect of tire size on trail. As I expect you know, a properly designed frame will have the head tube angle and fork offset chosen to produce an optimal amount of trail (for that head tube angle) for an assumed wheel size, which includes an assumed tire size.

Smaller tires reduce trail, larger tires increase trail. For a given frame, excess trail makes the handling more stable but slower, while less trail makes it less stable but quicker. Changing front tire size can definitely make a noticeable effect. Whether you like it is a matter of preference.

Otto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.