Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Racers and Coaches: What would you want out of a track-specific iOS app?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Racers and Coaches: What would you want out of a track-specific iOS app?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 03:17 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
UGGGGG....I fat-fingered something and the Road Cog selection screen isn't showing the right values. If you selected the right values before, you are fine. They are already stored in your preferences.

I've issued an update and asked for review to be expedited.

I apologize
Old 02-13-15, 03:11 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

I've issued an update and asked for review to be expedited.
They listened! The update is already available. Thx
Old 02-13-15, 04:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
They listened! The update is already available. Thx
Thanks for spotting my error!
Old 06-14-15, 03:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hi, guys.

So, I'm coming up for air after a long time. I'm about to start working on new features for the Track Cycling Stopwatch app as well as pruning things that you guys may not be using.

On deck:
- Saving data in the app
- Changing some layout things.
- Refactoring the code (optimizing)

If you have any feedback after having used it a while, let me know.
Old 06-15-15, 01:00 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, guys.

So, I'm coming up for air after a long time. I'm about to start working on new features for the Track Cycling Stopwatch app as well as pruning things that you guys may not be using.

On deck:
- Saving data in the app
- Changing some layout things.
- Refactoring the code (optimizing)

If you have any feedback after having used it a while, let me know.
First of all I want thank you for a great app, use it in training for timing flying efforts and the cadence and speed calculator saves a lot of time when checking if the gearing was right. In races I use it when calculating what gear to use.

The option to save data in the app would be great, lost the data a few times when I messed up the emailing.
Old 06-15-15, 01:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
First of all I want thank you for a great app, use it in training for timing flying efforts and the cadence and speed calculator saves a lot of time when checking if the gearing was right. In races I use it when calculating what gear to use.

The option to save data in the app would be great, lost the data a few times when I messed up the emailing.
That's great to hear! I'm glad you and your friends like it.

It's been out so long that I haven't heard from anyone in a long time. So, I don't know what people think.
Old 06-15-15, 01:36 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great to hear! I'm glad you and your friends like it.

It's been out so long that I haven't heard from anyone in a long time. So, I don't know what people think.
It's a great tool. When comparing riders and efforts one can see the different types of riders. I was doing flying 600m efforts with the national kilo champ, and we did identical times, but the way we did it was completely different. I have a better kick and hit my top speed faster doing the first 200m faster the second 200m I keep more or less the same speed and then fade for a slower last 200m, He does a negative split for the first 400m going quite a bit faster on the second 200m compared to the first and then he also starts to fade. Just timing the whole thing wouldn't have showed this difference. When I put in our different gearing it is also fast to compare our cadence.

Last edited by Bulldogsprinter; 06-15-15 at 03:30 AM. Reason: -
Old 06-15-15, 05:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
It's a great tool. When comparing riders and efforts one can see the different types of riders. I was doing flying 600m efforts with the national kilo champ, and we did identical times, but the way we did it was completely different. I have a better kick and hit my top speed faster doing the first 200m faster the second 200m I keep more or less the same speed and then fade for a slower last 200m, He does a negative split for the first 400m going quite a bit faster on the second 200m compared to the first and then he also starts to fade. Just timing the whole thing wouldn't have showed this difference. When I put in our different gearing it is also fast to compare our cadence.
Wow! That's great to see that you guys are getting the most out of the tools! That's exactly why I made them. This is very encouraging.
Old 10-19-15, 02:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hey, all. I've issued an update to 2 of my apps in the app store. If you have them, you should have gotten the update notice.

I can't really promote them here, but I can talk about them. If someone else wants to link to them, I won't be mad
Old 10-19-15, 06:28 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id be happy to link the android app, its coming out soon right? RIGHT?!

I was thinking about this lately, and here are some things that would make my life easier when I am coaching:

-a way to track multiple efforts and people back to back. I find myself scrambling down numbers as I have 6 different riders doing pursuit back to back, and then trying to figure out who was who. so maybe a way to have back to back stop watches but it saves the splits auto magically somehow. so like a recall function, that recalls sets.

-another thing Im running into is track time indoors is tight since its expensive. so maybe a way to integrate a schedule into the app with reminders. so you could be doing a stop watch and at the top get a reminder that theres only X time left in the session, or maybe a 30mns in a reminder to move on to Y

Probably less of a problem on outdoor tracks where you have all the time in the world, but at $250/hr for the track we don't waste a minute haha
Old 10-19-15, 09:22 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hahaha, I asked a buddy of mine to make one but he didn't want to. I told him that I'd give him all of my algorithms and everything. Sorry.

I was thinking about this lately, and here are some things that would make my life easier when I am coaching:

-a way to track multiple efforts and people back to back. I find myself scrambling down numbers as I have 6 different riders doing pursuit back to back, and then trying to figure out who was who. so maybe a way to have back to back stop watches but it saves the splits auto magically somehow. so like a recall function, that recalls sets.
My app does something similar. At the end of an effort, you can email out a table with the split of each lap including split time, total time, avg speed for the lap, avg cadence for the lap, and distance traveled. Most coaches simply email it to the athlete right after and whoever else needs to see it.

I've strongly considered saving the data in the app. But, that's a decent amount of work and I just don't have the time to sit down and bang it out and test it.

-another thing Im running into is track time indoors is tight since its expensive. so maybe a way to integrate a schedule into the app with reminders. so you could be doing a stop watch and at the top get a reminder that theres only X time left in the session, or maybe a 30mns in a reminder to move on to Y
I could make this, but in iOS it would probably be easier to hold the Home Button and say, "Set a Timer for 30 minutes." or "Remind me to switch to standing starts at 3PM." and Siri will set those alerts.
Old 10-21-15, 11:16 AM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha, I asked a buddy of mine to make one but he didn't want to. I told him that I'd give him all of my algorithms and everything. Sorry.

My app does something similar. At the end of an effort, you can email out a table with the split of each lap including split time, total time, avg speed for the lap, avg cadence for the lap, and distance traveled. Most coaches simply email it to the athlete right after and whoever else needs to see it.

I've strongly considered saving the data in the app. But, that's a decent amount of work and I just don't have the time to sit down and bang it out and test it.

I could make this, but in iOS it would probably be easier to hold the Home Button and say, "Set a Timer for 30 minutes." or "Remind me to switch to standing starts at 3PM." and Siri will set those alerts.

I'll write the Android version if you need a dev (for free, because I'm a cyclist nerd). I've written iOS and android apps..send me a PM.
Old 10-21-15, 04:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by tonski
I'll write the Android version if you need a dev (for free, because I'm a cyclist nerd). I've written iOS and android apps..send me a PM.
Let me think about it for a sec.
Old 10-21-15, 11:41 PM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever works man
Old 10-22-15, 09:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
BTW, it will work on any iPod touch that can run iOS 8. Previous and current generation iPod touches can do that.
Old 10-23-15, 01:43 AM
Fergie NZ
Fergie NZ

Bikes: Pinarello FP3 with Ultegra SL and Quarq Riken PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still going strong for me. Used it at Oceania Champs to do TTs and riders on both sides of the track. After using it to give IP splits to riders and sending reports to riders and coaches. Excellent tool!!!
Old 10-23-15, 06:54 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Fergie NZ
Still going strong for me. Used it at Oceania Champs to do TTs and riders on both sides of the track. After using it to give IP splits to riders and sending reports to riders and coaches. Excellent tool!!!
Thanks! That's great to hear!
Old 11-28-15, 04:44 AM
Jopo73

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Had to register to the Bikeforum just to post a question to this great thread :-)

Would it be possible to somehow connect tape switches to your app, or any other timing device ? I'm looking an easy and cheap way to have accurate timing for F200 and other short/fast efforts.

//Tommi
Old 11-28-15, 12:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Jopo73
Hi,

Had to register to the Bikeforum just to post a question to this great thread :-)

Would it be possible to somehow connect tape switches to your app, or any other timing device ? I'm looking an easy and cheap way to have accurate timing for F200 and other short/fast efforts.

//Tommi
Hi, Tommi. Welcome to the forum!

I've tossed around dozens of ideas like that to make a system where a user can time themselves and none of them are really feasible with an iPhone and modern tech.

The easiest and cheapest ways are to:

- Setup a tripod such that your phone can see the 200M start and finish lines and make a video of your run. Then time the replay of yourself. This works for any distance really.
- Have someone time you.
- Use a speedometer and record your max speed. Max speed is directly related to your 200M time. If max is going up, 200M time is faster. This method won't give you a time, but it will let you know if you are getting faster or not. This method also works for other short sprint efforts, like standing half lap, flying lap, etc...

The reason why tape strips aren't feasible is because:
- Tape strips require installation.
- They also require a transmitter of some sort (probably custom made).
- The transmission protocol to the iPhone will likely be Bluetooth LE which works when it works...but doesn't when it doesn't. It's known to drop connections.
- Bluetooth LE has a limited range of something like 100m. Riding on the track would/could put the rider on the edge of the effective range causing connection issues.

Thanks for the note. I'll keep tying to think of ideas to meet this need.
Old 08-22-16, 12:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

UPDATE:

Recently, I received a message from one of the Team GB coaches that said that he uses my TT app. Today, a former teammate of mine says that on TV he saw an Olympic coach with an iPad with what looked like my app on it during a Team Pursuit.

Hearing that makes it all worth it

Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone.
Old 08-22-16, 06:10 PM
Fergie NZ
Fergie NZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's pretty cool Carleton. My Sprinter at Rio, and another young Woman Silver medallist from Junior Worlds greatly benefitted from the immediate feedback they got as I emailed them the times and breakdown of each effort in training and racing. While I was coaching the next rider they were in the stands looking at the results and taking control of their next effort.

Hamish

UPDATE:

Recently, I received a message from one of the Team GB coaches that said that he uses my TT app. Today, a former teammate of mine says that on TV he saw an Olympic coach with an iPad with what looked like my app on it during a Team Pursuit.

Hearing that makes it all worth it

Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone.
Old 08-22-16, 07:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

That's pretty cool Carleton. My Sprinter at Rio, and another young Woman Silver medallist from Junior Worlds greatly benefitted from the immediate feedback they got as I emailed them the times and breakdown of each effort in training and racing. While I was coaching the next rider they were in the stands looking at the results and taking control of their next effort.

Hamish
Thanks, Hamish! You are one of the folks that comes with the great ideas. That's great to hear!

I'm trying not to promise too much with my upcoming updates, so I won't speak to them until I'm closer.
Old 08-31-16, 02:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

For those who actively use my app, I'm considering removing the 2-up timing feature. It's a lot of work (especially with the new design) and I wonder if anyone will miss it. Thoughts?

BTW, cook stuff is already being prototyped. Been coding off and on for 2 weeks.
Old 09-01-16, 01:06 AM
Fergie NZ
Fergie NZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who actively use my app, I'm considering removing the 2-up timing feature. It's a lot of work (especially with the new design) and I wonder if anyone will miss it. Thoughts?

BTW, cook stuff is already being prototyped. Been coding off and on for 2 weeks.
YES ME! Love that app, use it at every event!!! DO NOT REMOVE!!!!!

Hamish
Old 09-01-16, 02:15 AM
carleton
Elitist

YES ME! Love that app, use it at every event!!! DO NOT REMOVE!!!!!

Hamish
Hahahaha...OK