Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Multimeter battery voltage test

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-21-20, 02:44 PM
yippee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a silly question, but since I don't know anything maybe somebody can explain it.
My 36V battery charging is getting a little finicky. Today I had to play a little with the plug for the charger to go to red. Since I had to go out and didn't want to come back to any charred remains, I unplugged the battery and the charger while the charger light was still red. Came back, plugged everything in but the charger wouldn't go back to red to finish the charge (if it needed completing). So I pulled out my trusty multimeter and measured the voltage of the 36V battery, but I put the leads on reversed (I guess) because the voltage reading was -42 (negative). Everything's good because that's (I understand) the fully charged voltage of my 36V battery. The thing is if I reverse the leads to get a positive voltage reading from the meter the voltage oscillates between 40.1 and 41 volts. Isn't that strange? What do you think is causing the different voltage readings?
Old 08-21-20, 03:38 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
My guess would be the volt meter. Try the same thing with the charger; should verify the culprit.
Likes For 2old: