Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Can/Should a production bike be resized (shrunk)?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-21-20, 05:03 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts

I recognize that pretty much anything can be accomplished with enough $. But that's not really the box I'm putting around this.

I've hit conditions that find me waxing nostalgic for my very first race bike from the early/mid 1980s that was built of Columbus SLX tubing. Easier to find examples of this bike are selling for $2K as a frameset and I was privately offered a museum piece fully built up with practically new vintage parts for $3K plus shipping, which seems extremely selfish of me to throw that much money at something that will only serve to... well... I don't know what exactly it would serve other than a selfish desire to have in my hands something that I would have paid $3K for.

I found locally an example of this bicycle for less than half of the museum piece, and so now I have in my hands something I did NOT pay $3K for, but it measures 59.5cm c-c. Sure, I can ride it, but it's not ideal. It fits nicely on the wall and so it fills part of my perceived void. But now I'm wishing I could have it in my size as something I could occasionally ride and perhaps even enter in an Eroica event.

[edit edit snip snip-- I was typing way too much and getting long winded in details]

Anyway, I'm wondering how practical and reasonable would it be to explore having a professional framebuilder remove 3.5-4cm out of the seat tube (and necessary amount bottom off the bottom of the seatstays and 2-2.25cm out of the top tube (and corresponding amount out of the head tube and possibly down tube) So I'm changing a 59.5x58ish bike into a 55.5x56 bike.

I recognize that SLX has butting plus spirals / rifling and I thought I recalled that different tubesets had different length reinforcement depending on what size frame is was meant for.

I'd then have to have the whole bike rechromed and repainted, which is not something I really wanted to do (I like patina) but I recognize at the end I'd have a custom sized bike with the manufacturer pantographing and unique tubes/lugs/bridges AND a normal sized stem AND the bike I "wanted". Other option is of course just try to find one in closer to my size or see if someone has the same bike as I but needs a larger one and wants to trade.

Too expensive and/or too fooish a path? Would any framebuilder even be willing to take something like this on?
Old 08-21-20, 06:01 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I would think it would be easier to have a framebuilder build a new one from scratch. You can still find SLX tubesets.
Old 08-21-20, 06:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,665 Times in 2,497 Posts
Keep looking, you aren't describing a bike that sells for $2k. People have shrunk bikes and it works but it's a horrible idea
Old 08-21-20, 07:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by spank226
I recognize that pretty much anything can be accomplished with enough $. But that's not really the box I'm putting around this.

I've hit conditions that find me waxing nostalgic for my very first race bike from the early/mid 1980s that was built of Columbus SLX tubing. Easier to find examples of this bike are selling for $2K as a frameset and I was privately offered a museum piece fully built up with practically new vintage parts for $3K plus shipping, which seems extremely selfish of me to throw that much money at something that will only serve to... well... I don't know what exactly it would serve other than a selfish desire to have in my hands something that I would have paid $3K for.

I found locally an example of this bicycle for less than half of the museum piece, and so now I have in my hands something I did NOT pay $3K for, but it measures 59.5cm c-c. Sure, I can ride it, but it's not ideal. It fits nicely on the wall and so it fills part of my perceived void. But now I'm wishing I could have it in my size as something I could occasionally ride and perhaps even enter in an Eroica event.

[edit edit snip snip-- I was typing way too much and getting long winded in details]

Anyway, I'm wondering how practical and reasonable would it be to explore having a professional framebuilder remove 3.5-4cm out of the seat tube (and necessary amount bottom off the bottom of the seatstays and 2-2.25cm out of the top tube (and corresponding amount out of the head tube and possibly down tube) So I'm changing a 59.5x58ish bike into a 55.5x56 bike.

I recognize that SLX has butting plus spirals / rifling and I thought I recalled that different tubesets had different length reinforcement depending on what size frame is was meant for.

I'd then have to have the whole bike rechromed and repainted, which is not something I really wanted to do (I like patina) but I recognize at the end I'd have a custom sized bike with the manufacturer pantographing and unique tubes/lugs/bridges AND a normal sized stem AND the bike I "wanted". Other option is of course just try to find one in closer to my size or see if someone has the same bike as I but needs a larger one and wants to trade.

Too expensive and/or too fooish a path? Would any framebuilder even be willing to take something like this on?
slx tubes or a specific brand....if you are looking for some specific brand and yearwise post a WTB (want to buy) in the classic and vintage for sale section.....you would be surprised and how often this come through

If you are just looking tubes the idea of getting a build to build you one sounds a lot more fun/sound than resizing

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-21-20, 07:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,665 Times in 2,497 Posts
He's not an upgraded member so he can't post a wtb unless he upgrades. But I agree, there is some poor unloved SLX 55cm frame out there that could use a new paint job. I have an SL frame from the early '80s that I am thinking about giving away. Def needs a paint job though.
Old 08-22-20, 01:15 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
spank226

I assume whatever this bike is would fit in the Classic & Vintage forum. There's an active "frame doesn't fit" thread. Post what you want and what you've got (with pix, assuming you have more than ten posts under your bikeforums.net belt). You might well find someone with a suitable trade.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 08-22-20, 03:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I have reduced the height/size of a frame I built once. It cracked just below the seat lug (I was still early in my learning curve...) before it got painted. It was built with a rather short TT so I figured by cutting down the HT and ST (and redoing the seat stays) I could end up with a frame with a slightly long TT for the new size. Did this and the frame served someone else for many years.

But the OP's situation is somewhat more complex and not what I would offer to do. About the only part of the frame that could stay the same is the chainstays/BB/seat tube (and that's assuming the seat angle and drop don't need changing). The BB socket for the DT will need manipulation for the new DT/ST angle. Can this be done? sure. What will it cost? A lot and possibly more then a complete frame. Andy
Old 08-22-20, 06:20 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

What I get from this is I should first try to exchange the larger one I have for the exact one but in a smaller size. A different bike with SLX tubing just won't do, nor would the same brand bike that was offered with SLX earlier/later.

I still have my old Marinoni w/ Columbus SLX that replaced the team-issued bike that I'm trying to turn back time on, so that will have to make do until I either find a trade or make the decision to earnestly look for a frame builder to take the shrinkage on.

I'm still learning the forum, so I'm slow with the postings to make sure I don't violate any standards that I'm still not familiar with.
Old 08-23-20, 12:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by spank226
I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

What I get from this is I should first try to exchange the larger one I have for the exact one but in a smaller size. A different bike with SLX tubing just won't do, nor would the same brand bike that was offered with SLX earlier/later.

I still have my old Marinoni w/ Columbus SLX that replaced the team-issued bike that I'm trying to turn back time on, so that will have to make do until I either find a trade or make the decision to earnestly look for a frame builder to take the shrinkage on.

I'm still learning the forum, so I'm slow with the postings to make sure I don't violate any standards that I'm still not familiar with.
seriously check out Classic and Vintage and it is worth it upgrade your membership so you can use the for sale forum