Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Recommended tri bike /question

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 03-12-21, 02:39 PM
rkaleda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Returning to triathlon after 10 years off. Goal is IM. Done 2 half. I race only to finish. Any recommendations on a tri bike? What's to gain for a 'just finish' guy to go from say a 2k tri bike to 3 or 4k?

Also, is anyone familiar with the shiv hydration system? How do you fill it on the fly? My current bike has the age old 'big gulp' between the earo bars and you just dump it in.
Old 03-15-21, 06:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by rkaleda
Returning to triathlon after 10 years off. Goal is IM. Done 2 half. I race only to finish. Any recommendations on a tri bike? What's to gain for a 'just finish' guy to go from say a 2k tri bike to 3 or 4k?

Also, is anyone familiar with the shiv hydration system? How do you fill it on the fly? My current bike has the age old 'big gulp' between the earo bars and you just dump it in.
If you race only to finish, why are you looking at $4k tri bikes?

If I were you I would start with your old fit coordinates or go get some at a local fitter. Then figure out which USED tri bikes of around $2k with 11spd mechanical you can get setup within your coordinates.

IMO, if I were you and you quoted as saying "I race only to finish".......it screams $2k used Shiv (triathlon version) with 11spd mech. It has that built in front hydration. It's a known good bike. Nothing with the concern of "just finish" will do much noticeably better. You could also even rent fancy race day disc and front wheel setup just for your race but train on something affordable to keep cost down. Our local triathlon shop rents wheelsets.

I mean it stands to ask, are you really wealthy and want to spend the money despite only wanting to finish the race? If you are, then go with a P3 or P5x, the tri superbike. If you are, that changes the question a lot.

But I've seen that model Shiv popup on our local CL a few times for around $2k ready to ride.
Old 03-15-21, 08:35 AM
rkaleda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If you race only to finish, why are you looking at $4k tri bikes?

If I were you I would start with your old fit coordinates or go get some at a local fitter. Then figure out which USED tri bikes of around $2k with 11spd mechanical you can get setup within your coordinates.

IMO, if I were you and you quoted as saying "I race only to finish".......it screams $2k used Shiv (triathlon version) with 11spd mech. It has that built in front hydration. It's a known good bike. Nothing with the concern of "just finish" will do much noticeably better. You could also even rent fancy race day disc and front wheel setup just for your race but train on something affordable to keep cost down. Our local triathlon shop rents wheelsets.

I mean it stands to ask, are you really wealthy and want to spend the money despite only wanting to finish the race? If you are, then go with a P3 or P5x, the tri superbike. If you are, that changes the question a lot.

But I've seen that model Shiv popup on our local CL a few times for around $2k ready to ride.

Thanks for the insight, Not looking to throw money away. Looking to best invest my resources to try to get this old body to the finish with the best possible chance of success. Dont want to over spend for features that won't matter or underspend and fall short because of inferior equipment..
Likes For rkaleda:
Old 03-15-21, 09:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I feel ya on the inferior. My old TT bike was fine. But some new cracks in bad places and I sprung for some really nice stuff. But I love riding it and it's a hobby, so why not.

I'd say if you're going long course having really slick hydration/nutrition/storage that is ergonomic is a big deal. If that were my thing I would spend good money on bikes that have an advantage on those areas.

Newer more expensive tri specific bikes have taken that in consideration versus the older stuff.

I do TT, so that kind of thing isn't of a concern for me. Have fun with the search! Show us pictures if you decide on something.