Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Getting back out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 08:48 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Getting back out.

Going for my first bike run on the road for over a year this evening.

Is it normal to be this apprehensive?

Prior to lockdown, I regularly rode 20 to 30 miles no problem. Never gave going out on the road a 2nd thought.

Now, having turned 55, put on about 3 stones and lost all of my fitness, I am scared....not sure if this is something that others have experienced?

Thankfully, I am going out with my buddy, she has been a keen cyclist for years and was her that got me in to the sport.

I will let you know how it goes....
Old 04-14-21, 09:03 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Yes, let us know how it goes. Being apprehensive on roads with cars is for sure normal. If you weren’t apprehensive, you might be more at risk of having a crash. Bike handling skills take practice. Gaining fitness takes regular work - I’m not sure how much weight “ represent but the sooner you get out there, the sooner your weight loss/calorie burning will begin.

it is good that you have a riding buddy and that is a keen cyclist, what a great resource!

I forget how to be a good rider when I don’t ride but it comes back the more you do it. I’m back in the “Clydesdale” category and have just under 400 miles on the year which is about where I want to be for mid April.
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-14-21, 09:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
Take a deep breath. Blow it out slowly. Now go outside and go for a bike ride. A bike ride is fun, right? As soon as you start pedaling you'll remember, and everything will be all right.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-19-21, 03:32 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Cheers guys...

It wasnt as bad as I had anticipated. Only did few miles, 7 in total. But, felt OK. Went back out next doy on my own.

Was me letting my doubts take over. Fell better.

Onwards and upwards!
Likes For Gerry221:
Old 06-24-21, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry221
Going for my first bike run on the road for over a year this evening.
Is it normal to be this apprehensive?
for me, yes. often my 1st ride is on a paved but protected trail. thought about a 1st commute of the year today (22 miles ea. way) but didn't get my act together
Likes For rumrunn6: