Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Flats and Tires on Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Flats and Tires on Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 10:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
in all seriousness, what did you learn from these two flats?

did you see clear and evident proof of what caused the flat, ie piece of glass, wire still sticking in tire?
was it a pinch flat due to underinflation?
what weight did you have on the bike, ie what were the pounds of stuff in panniers and pounds of you? What pressures did you run?

as you can see, using co2 cartidges is a waste imo, and causes waste also, but more importantly if you havent identified the reason for a flat, they are one shot deals.

if we assume the flats were because the tires were either getting thin, or are so so tires, you can see why its worth getting good quality tires and having new ones or at least in good shape before a trip--simply to avoid the pain in the keester and time waste of dealing with multiple flats.
Unless it was bad luck, and if your tires were in good shape, do look at the tire pressure factor.
also consider getting a pressure gauge or a pump that has a gauge, so you can actually keep track of pressures for a given weight situation, good for future references.

most importantly, we all hope you both had a fun time, croissant flat fixing experiences aside.
Old 06-29-21, 11:04 AM
MidLife50

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
I relied on the bike shop on flat #1. For flat #2 I found a pinhole in the tube and then used a cotton ball to diligently search for a cause. Finding none I changed the tube and carried on.

I'm right at 200lbs and I carried 28 pounds of panniers/load on the back. I was running about 85lbs in the back tire (+/- 75 in the front).

Definitely had a good time. Appreciate all the helpful advice. Thanks.
Old 06-29-21, 01:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
That is unfortunate.

You now have had twice as many touring flats as I have had. Odds are now that you won't have any for years to come. Or, your rear tire is jinxed and more will come soon and frequently.
Old 06-29-21, 02:51 PM
djb

cant recall if this was said, but to help id where a hole is in tube, or even in tire if an unseen thingee isstill in it, position the tire so that the brand name is lined up with the valve hole, that way you have a rough known placement of rim/tire/tube

you saying that you couldnt find the object in tire, sometimes it helps to really look with reading glasses and to actually flex the tire where you know the hole was made in tube, and sometimes a hidden little wire or glass piece will then show up.

as said, if you keep getting flats, consider getting a better rear tire.
thats usually been my thermometer of "ok, this tire is getting tired....."

your pressures sound ok, they are 35mm 's right? but really only you know if the tire is overly bulgy or soft feeling at those pressures with your bike loaded.
hope thats the end of flatsville for a while
Old 06-29-21, 04:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Yup:

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A few notes:
  • When you pull a tube out of a tire, make sure no dirt gets into the tire, a grain of sand can cause a puncture in a tube miles later.
  • If your tires are dirty, having a pair of disposable gloves like medical staff use can come in handy. I keep a pair with my spare tubes. Pre-covid, when I asked at the dentist or doctor office if I could have a few pair for road emergencies on my bike, they were always happy to give me a few pair, but I suspect that stuff is in short supply still so I never ask now.
  • If you have the tube valve stem on the wheel at the same place as the tire label, after you pull the tube out of a tire, if you put plenty of air in the tire with the pump you can usually tell were the puncture was. And then you can line up that spot on the tube with the spot on the tire which makes it easier to find if there is a piece of broken glass or something in the tire that cause the flat. There are two possible places on the tire when you do that, flip over the tube to find the other spot on the tire to look.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Get a silver Sharpie and mark an arrow with the direction of rotation or mark it “left” or “right” on the tube. Cuts the number of choices down by one.
Old 06-30-21, 06:26 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
MidLife50 , what Bontrager tire do you have?

I am asking because I have done the GAP/C&O multiple times. In the very beginning I was paranoid and rode Marathon Plus Tours. Then I tried lighter and more supple tires like Conti Speed Rides (the rear one exploded near Cumberland) and Vittoria Voyager Hypers. Never had a flat on the GAP/C&O, and I attributed this to the natural surface and the absence of the glass shards. (On the Erie Canal trail I had about 5 flats in one ride, 4 of which were caused by small pieces of glass I picked on road in the cities; to be fair, the rear tire was also somewhat worn.)

Last November I rode the DC to Pittsburgh, and after the 5 flats on the Erie Canal I decided to mount a stronger rear tire, a Bontrager H5 Hard-Case Lite. I thought it was bombproof for the purpose and I took a small pump with no gauge. I had a slow leak like the one you describe, lost some time and as a result I had to ride the last hour to Hancock on WMRT in the darkness (with the light I had). I did exactly what Tourist in MSN and djb said, but I could not find the cause of the flat. Also, the leak was exactly at the seam, so I blamed a tube defect for that. The next day I have a slow leak again. I figured it was at the same place (I align the tire label with the valve as described here) in the new tube. Then I realized there was something with the tire, and I could not find it. I talked to the shop owner, describing the situation, and he installed a new tube (they warranty the repair), removing a small splinter.

Next day everything is fine, and the day after that I have a slow leak again. I was so desperate that I just bought the last 700x42c tire at Ohiopyle and threw away the Bontrager tire. Probably I could have glued some patch to the tire or inserted a dollar bill, but I was so frustrated by this hard-to-find tire defect. To rub the salt into the wound, the next morning the tire was flat again because the glueless patch I had applied to the tube did not hold -- again, the puncture was near the seam, and I did not sand it enough.

Another good reason to carry a spare tire on a tour

Do you get any more flats in this tire after the ride?
Old 06-30-21, 06:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by csport
MidLife50 , what Bontrager tire do you have?

I am asking because I have done the GAP/C&O multiple times. In the very beginning I was paranoid and rode Marathon Plus Tours. Then I tried lighter and more supple tires like Conti Speed Rides (the rear one exploded near Cumberland) and Vittoria Voyager Hypers. Never had a flat on the GAP/C&O, and I attributed this to the natural surface and the absence of the glass shards. (On the Erie Canal trail I had about 5 flats in one ride, 4 of which were caused by small pieces of glass I picked on road in the cities; to be fair, the rear tire was also somewhat worn.)

Last November I rode the DC to Pittsburgh, and after the 5 flats on the Erie Canal I decided to mount a stronger rear tire, a Bontrager H5 Hard-Case Lite. I thought it was bombproof for the purpose and I took a small pump with no gauge. I had a slow leak like the one you describe, lost some time and as a result I had to ride the last hour to Hancock on WMRT in the darkness (with the light I had). I did exactly what Tourist in MSN and djb said, but I could not find the cause of the flat. Also, the leak was exactly at the seam, so I blamed a tube defect for that. The next day I have a slow leak again. I figured it was at the same place (I align the tire label with the valve as described here) in the new tube. Then I realized there was something with the tire, and I could not find it. I talked to the shop owner, describing the situation, and he installed a new tube (they warranty the repair), removing a small splinter.

Next day everything is fine, and the day after that I have a slow leak again. I was so desperate that I just bought the last 700x42c tire at Ohiopyle and threw away the Bontrager tire. Probably I could have glued some patch to the tire or inserted a dollar bill, but I was so frustrated by this hard-to-find tire defect. To rub the salt into the wound, the next morning the tire was flat again because the glueless patch I had applied to the tube did not hold -- again, the puncture was near the seam, and I did not sand it enough.

Another good reason to carry a spare tire on a tour

Do you get any more flats in this tire after the ride?
Several years ago I had a similar problem, could not find why my tire kept causing minor punctures in my tubes. After two or three flats, I took one of my flatted tubes that had not yet been patched, and skipped the patch. Instead I surgically removed the valve stem and put a slit all the way around the tube. That tube became my tire liner, no more flats after that.
Old 07-01-21, 07:50 AM
MidLife50

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Lite, 700x35c...and the leak I found was also on the tube seam.

Tempted to think it was a bad tube but maybe time for new tires as well? Back home now but did need to air it up a bit for a short ride. This time I told myself that I was merely replacing CO2 that leaked faster. If it leaks anymore definitely go tire shopping.
Old 07-01-21, 01:27 PM
djb

Bicycle tubes do lose pressure over time, how much pressure in how much time varies.

If you really want to check things, remove tube, hold carefully underwater with some air in it, will show up pinholes possibly.
Old 07-01-21, 06:46 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
3 years ago, I was touring with a couple of friends in the gorgeous Dordogne valley in France. I went into a bike shop and I was chatting with the shopkeeper/mechanic who was interested in my Bike Friday folder, when 2 British brothers in their 20s came into the shop with a fancy road bike. They spoke almost no French and the shopkeeper spoke no English, so I soon found myself translating. One of the brothers was repeatedly getting flats in one of his wheels and came into the shop to buy some more tubes. I think he said he had had something like 8 flats in just a couple of days, though he didn't have a flat at that moment. They had driven to the shop. The shopkeeper had a bunch of questions, as did I. The British cyclist couldn't answer a single question. He hadn't attempted to look for a reason for his flats, so he had no idea if the flats kept happening in the same spot, which seemed likely. He hadn't checked to see if a piece of glass had gotten embedded in the tire tread, for example, or if a spoke was puncturing the tubes from the rim side of the tube. With each flat, he would simply put in a new tube. The cyclist thought that perhaps his tire pressure might have been the reason, but the mechanic checked the pressure, which was correct for those tires. The cyclist left after buying about 10 new tubes, but he said he'd pay attention the next time he got a flat. After they left, the shopkeeper & I shook our heads.
Old 07-01-21, 07:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The above are all great suggestions, at least the ones I read. Whenever I ride a bike outside, I have with me 2 tubes, a patch kit, boot kit, and a spare tire. I always use folding tires. If I flat, I change both the tube and tire. That saves time and frustration. I worry about why later, in camp or at home. It's quite a bit quicker to do that than to try to find the cause on the road. The patch and boot kit are belt and suspenders. I have used them.

I don't use CO2, Road Morph G only.