Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Raked Ti forks?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Raked Ti forks?

Old 07-10-21, 01:18 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Raked Ti forks?

I took this screen shot from Jan Heine's blog (thanks Jan). The shot of a Horse titanium build at the Enve builders event. The bike is so darn beautiful, but the fork seems to detract from the overall aesthetic of the bike IMHO. I see others curved tubes on titanium bikes, why do you almost never see a raked titanium fork? I love the feel of a high quality steel fork, but the non-raked steel or carbon seems to reign. I guess I do not understand why. I would love to hear the frame builders input.

Old 07-10-21, 01:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
A Ti fork will weigh just as much as a steel fork, so it's a lot of work for no payback. People make them though.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-10-21, 07:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
TI is more flexible then steel so a fork would have to be made with "really thick" stock (and as Eric said, weigh a lot) or be made with larger in cross section blades and steerer. Since the steerer is only joined at one end it's section would have to be pretty large, and it's wall thick eenough too.

Sometimes the lack of others with vast resources not doing a certain thing suggests that thing is not easy, or cheap enough or supported by the rest of the industry. Andy
Old 07-11-21, 04:34 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Not everyone likes curved fork blades, so the market for that "vintage" look is pretty small. Some people want their new bike to look modern and Enve makes carbon forks, so it makes sense to use their fork on a bike for an Enve event.
Old 07-11-21, 09:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Virtually all Ti forks are segmented with straight legs. You just aren't going to find a tapered blade on a ti fork nowadays, costs too much. Vintage Teledynes had tapered legs, but those are known as "death forks." Do I recall they went to steel forks at some point?

This was the builder's first Ti bike, so he did well for himself getting noticed by Enve. I would definitely not ride a builder's first Ti fork.
Old 07-11-21, 11:36 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I understand the cost thing, that makes sense for sure. I have a Ti bike with a straight steel fork (the Kona P2 which is heavy) If it had rim brakes, I would get (or build) a steel curved blade fork for it. To address dsaul, there is a lot of functionality to curved blades, and yes, they look great too. It is a personal thing about a plasticky looking thing on the front of a steel or Ti bike.
Thanks for taking time to respond.

Last edited by Gyro_T; 07-11-21 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 01:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think that's a particularly clunky fork, even for an all-road fork.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-12-21, 02:23 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 2,535 Times in 1,065 Posts
Ti Cycles (Dave Levy) near Portland OR makes custom Ti forks in many configurations. I haven't seen one with curved blades, but here's one with tapered blades and a unicrown top, not the typical segmented design.

He's been making forks like this for over 20 years, and he is the only small builder I have ever heard of who built (with Andy of Strawberry) a fork strength/fatigue testing jig to the specs of the European bike industry. I don't know but I assume his Ti forks pass the most stringent standards. Ask him, he'll have the details on that. I have seen his Ti forks on MTBs and tandems, so definitely reliable on a road single.

A tapered and curved blade model would not be outside his abilities, but no doubt rather expensive. Normal custom forks are $1100 according to the website.

Disclaimer, I used to work there, though we haven't spoken in ~20 years.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 07-16-21, 09:54 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That is a beautiful fork. Ti Cycles built a fork for me, as I wanted to replace the steel fork that came on my '13 Ti Fargo. It save me a pound, but luckily it didn't cost me $1100. I think they now have some Asian resources that allows for lower than custom built prices. I guess I just miss the "action" of a premium steel fork in a fast descent, as both of the Ti bikes I ride have straight blades. I am ready to get back on one of my traditional steel bikes to just to feel that liveliness of the frame and fork.
Old 09-27-21, 08:51 PM
SilversSpeed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Bending Ti is usaully more challenging than steel, Forming and welding Ti takes a lot more care. If you heat up or weld Ti it normally has to be completely sheilded in gas. Ti is also more brittle. It can be made into curved or slim forms but requires just require non traditional production methods. I would highly suggest a 3D printed Ti fork. Any geometry could be made and it can be very strong.