Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need some help on tandem value

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 04-18-21, 10:45 AM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

HI, I need some help on value of my tandem. I am blind and thinking of selling it because it is too hard to find pilots and not used enough.

The frame is a Trek T2000
-Alpha Q X2 fork
-Di2 ultegra 10 speed deraillleurs and shifters
-FSA SLK carbon cranks
-Gates belt drive with bushnell eccentric
-Thompson seatposts
-Spinergy aero wheelset with rim brakes.
Continental GP400S tires 700X25
-weiths 26.xx pounds
I have ridden it a couple of times but like I said without pilots I can't use it.

I would like an idea of the value to see if worth selling.
Thank you

Old 04-21-21, 02:06 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any useful replies to your queries. And this one won't be much help either.

The value of most anything is sort of what people are willing to pay for it. I have several tandems that I bought used. I never paid more than $1,100 for one; a 2000 Cannondale about 8 years ago, $700 for a 2004 Speedster and recently $400 for a Trek T1000 which was in really great shape.

Your bike shares the nearly the identical frame as that Trek - but just about everything else about it is top notch; the fork, the wheels, just about every component on it. Hell, you got it down to what? 26lbs!

That's a pretty nice bike. But it's still a Trek. It's difficult to get more than about 1/2 the original purchase price on a bike that is what 12-16 years old now? But you've got some very nice upgrades on it.

Bottom line; how much is it worth? A lot depends on what other tandems are available when you try to sell it, how well it fits the needs of someone who really wants it - I mean, you've got to pay a crap load of money for a bike that weighs in at 26lbs!

If I wanted it, if it fit, and was nearby and I didn't already have a bunch already, I might be tempted at $2,000. $2,500 might be a good starting point, put that's me. I'm a real cheapskate! But, jeez - 26lbs and all those nice components. Some folks, chasing grams on a tandem would be all over that. $3,000 or $3,500 might be worth a try to test the waters. Much higher and you're getting into the realm of used Co-motions and the like. But you'd be hard pressed to find any tandem that light at 3X's that cost. Of course, it's more than just grams (or lbs.). The bike has got to ride sweet, too.

I suppose someone will flame me on this, but I can take it.

Last edited by joeruge; 04-21-21 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 08:53 AM
joeruge

Hey, I should have asked, where are you? I'd love to get a chance to ride that bike with you!

Joe R.
Old 04-22-21, 09:44 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
Hey, I should have asked, where are you? I'd love to get a chance to ride that bike with you!

Joe R.
Has Quebec in their profile. Nice tandem. Maybe you can give them a discount if they take you out once in awhile. We have a local program called BORP that takes people out with all kinds of physical challenges. What was the price new? I'd try asking at least half of that. Good luck.
Old 04-22-21, 02:56 PM
joeruge

[QUOTE=curbtender;22026226]Has Quebec in their profile. Nice tandem. Maybe you can give them a discount if they take you out once in awhile. We have a local program called BORP that takes people out with all kinds of physical challenges. What was the price new? I'd try asking at least half of that. Good luck.[/QUOTE

It does surprise me that there isn't a local organization that helps connect people with differing abilities.

As for pricing, I'm not sure the cost of that 'bike' new (about $3,600) will help very much. Except for the frame, it doesn't appear that any other component is left from the original bike. Wheels, fork, the entire drive train (single sided it appears), all added over the years.

That bike certainly didn't come off the showroom floor anywhere close to 26lbs. Maybe it was 32-34? If it really is 26, that's a heck of a set-up.

The frame is probably the weakest part of the deal, but it's not a terrible frame. Heck of a deal for a lighter team that wants to fly.
Old 04-26-21, 04:52 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I understand that value is not easy. When I built it I went with the trek frame because it was lighter than a Cannondale and I then added everything to it, I am really proud of the build and I will probably keep it since I invested so much in it in parts.
When I see similar tandems like calfee or Co motion with similar parts sell for 10-12k I think its crazy. I know frame is different, of course.

I am near montreal in Quebec, there are some blind associations that ride tandem but with covid its very hard to find pilots and its too "racing" for most blind association pilots.

Maybe I could part it also. I will think about it.

Thanks
Old 04-26-21, 05:55 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie50
Thanks for the advice, I understand that value is not easy. When I built it I went with the trek frame because it was lighter than a Cannondale and I then added everything to it, I am really proud of the build and I will probably keep it since I invested so much in it in parts.
When I see similar tandems like calfee or Co motion with similar parts sell for 10-12k I think its crazy. I know frame is different, of course.

I am near montreal in Quebec, there are some blind associations that ride tandem but with covid its very hard to find pilots and its too "racing" for most blind association pilots.

Maybe I could part it also. I will think about it.

Thanks
The 10-12k is a price for a new tetra Calfee. A full carbon frame with dual disc and internally routed Di2. A new Co-motion can get above $10k but only after you start adding customization, couplers or carbon wheels. The Supremo with newest version of di2 (not the original 10 speed) is going to be under $10k, before tax.

As you mentioned parting it out would provide you the most money but would take work, you'd also have to put parts on the trek and you're looking at $500-$1000 with basic wheels and groupset. Even with all the work you're not going to get the money you put in it.

In my opinion the big reason your not going to get the value you want: Doesn't have dual disc, has a diagonal tube (shows it's age), 10 speed di2 that no one wants. Anything you customized isn't customized to the new owner, it's just what was on the bike. Expensive bikes are definitely luxury items and people pay high dollar for the newest, lightest thing and the value drops quick.
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 PM
joeruge

Originally Posted by act0fgod
In my opinion the big reason your not going to get the value you want: Doesn't have dual disc, has a diagonal tube (shows it's age), 10 speed di2 that no one wants. Anything you customized isn't customized to the new owner, it's just what was on the bike. Expensive bikes are definitely luxury items and people pay high dollar for the newest, lightest thing and the value drops quick.
You know, it all in the eye of the beholder. It's a wonderful build. I'd hate to see it parted out, if it was mine. It's a beautiful bike and would be a hell of a racer for the right team, as is.

I personally have no problem with the diagonal tube. In fact, I prefer it. I think ten speed is perfectly fine and disc brakes? They're okay but not a deal breaker. It is unfortunate that it looked from the one picture posted that it is one of the earlier Trek frames, from before they started adding the disc brake mounting option to the rear dropout.

I'm not sure I'd compare this bike to a new one in the same weight category. I don't think the OP is looking for any amount approaching the cost of those bikes. That's what makes it tough to value. But if the right couple caught a glimpse of this bike and wanted to get into racing, they could get into it for with an awful nice machine.

If the OP is still interested in riding this beauty again, I'd hold onto it and let the pandemic wave pass. You'll find someone to ride with you. Maybe you just need to cast a wider net in your area.

By the way, I didn't know that the Trek frame was lighter than the Cannondale. Do you have any specifics you'd care to share?
Old 04-27-21, 05:00 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Trek T2000 frame has the bosses for rear disc brake, I never cared much for discs for what I used it for. Fast rides, some triathlons and mostly with light pilots (I am 155 pounds) Good caliper brakes with good pads are really efficient.

I know what most will not see it as the most recent technology, its fine by me.

I had 3 cannondales before, started my tandem riding on one, but after trying a T2000 I was so surprised about the ride quality especially for me (stoker). The Cdale has a very stiff and harsh feel, the trek is smoother.

I don't remember the exact weight of the Cdale frame but I think it was at least 2 to 3 pounds heavier.
The T2000 came at 3210grams with a couple of bolts and brackets still on it.

Regards

You know, it all in the eye of the beholder. It's a wonderful build. I'd hate to see it parted out, if it was mine. It's a beautiful bike and would be a hell of a racer for the right team, as is.

I personally have no problem with the diagonal tube. In fact, I prefer it. I think ten speed is perfectly fine and disc brakes? They're okay but not a deal breaker. It is unfortunate that it looked from the one picture posted that it is one of the earlier Trek frames, from before they started adding the disc brake mounting option to the rear dropout.

I'm not sure I'd compare this bike to a new one in the same weight category. I don't think the OP is looking for any amount approaching the cost of those bikes. That's what makes it tough to value. But if the right couple caught a glimpse of this bike and wanted to get into racing, they could get into it for with an awful nice machine.

If the OP is still interested in riding this beauty again, I'd hold onto it and let the pandemic wave pass. You'll find someone to ride with you. Maybe you just need to cast a wider net in your area.

By the way, I didn't know that the Trek frame was lighter than the Cannondale. Do you have any specifics you'd care to share?
Likes For Eddie50:
Old 04-27-21, 06:08 PM
joeruge

Thanks Eddie50,

That is really a sweet bike - not sure it's the right size for us, but if you weren't 2000 miles away, I'd at least come by to ooggle it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a Trek T1000, which is the same frame (everything else is different). I think it's probably vintage 2007 or so, as it has the disc brake boss. I also have a 1999 or 2000 Cannondale.

It's hard to compare how they each ride; different wheels and tires and such, but my 'impression' of how they ride sounds similar to what you mentioned. In my case, I'm the captain, so different point view, too.

The Cannondale seems very stiff and rock solid, like it runs on a rail. TheTrek frame, which is a smaller size, seems a little more 'noodlely.' Maybe more 'supple,' would be a kinder way of saying it.

My stoker, 145lbs, is not a very smooth pedaler. I seem to feel her movement a lot more on the Trek. Not sure how much this has to do with the stiffness of the frame or perhaps the trail, which has an affect on 'stoker steer.'

I can see that if you have a smooth pedaling team how the Trek frame could soak up some of those bumps.

Thanks for the frame weight, too.
Old 07-17-21, 12:14 PM
joeruge

Just checking back in w you

Hi, just wondering how you're making out. Did you find a new captain or have you sold the bike? It sure is a beautiful beast!
Old 03-20-22, 06:29 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, just wondering how you're making out. Did you find a new captain or have you sold the bike? It sure is a beautiful beast!
I still have the tandem, there is a young blind local guy that wants to start racing but has limited funds and can't afford to buy a racing calfee or similar, so I will probably sell the bike to him. I still don't know what to ask for it
Likes For Eddie50:
Old 03-21-22, 08:15 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie50
I still have the tandem, there is a young blind local guy that wants to start racing but has limited funds and can't afford to buy a racing calfee or similar, so I will probably sell the bike to him. I still don't know what to ask for it
You might find the Bike Blue Book useful as a guide to value. I don't know the year of your T2000, but as an example, see https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3031517/, as a starting point
Old 03-21-22, 10:03 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Ahhhhhh, wish I could buy my bikes a BBB prices all the time. I'd have them make an offer and see if it's something you can live with.
Old 03-21-22, 11:52 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
A simple rule is to take MSRP and divide by two. If the bike's old and/or has a lot of miles, then subtract. If it's very new and has very little mileage, then add.

Now you've done a ton of upgrades, so that complicates the issue. You could add in the MSRP of all the parts to the bike MSRP, then subtract nominal amounts for each of the OEM parts you removed. This achieves somewhat of a good starting point.

That being said, you're probably not going to get more than $3,500 for it, and you probably don't need to list it below $2,000. So it doesn't really matter at this point; obsessing over it won't change the above parameters very much. What's $1,500 worth you? In the big picture, it's a drop in the bucket; also consider you've seen a year elapse due to indecision.

I have a 35 year old Counterpoint I'm selling for a friend. This is an even worse example of something to sell. It was $4k new, but it's 35 years old! So we're assuming well south of $2k in market value. But it's in excellent shape. I think they'd be lucky to get anything over $1k. Then again, a brand new one is $7,500, and with tax that puts it over $8k. So picking it up for around $1,200 is a bargain compared to what you have to shell out for new.

With all this said, I told the seller, "Talk to your tax advisor and ask if you'll do better donating it instead." I've already spoken to BORP and they expressed interest.

So consider donating it if your tax situation calls for it.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 03-23-22, 12:37 AM
robakun

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0, Momentum Street, Sterling Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Tandems are such a niche market so hard to price out and sell right?! I picked up mine from the 80's several months ago for $300 but no where near as nice as yours!