Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 07-18-21, 10:18 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Cool bike! Please post pics of this when you are done 'cos we (I?) have no idea what you are talking about and want to see what it is
Sure thing!

The adapter clamps onto the chainstays and lets you mount a direct-mount brake there. I don’t have it set up all that well yet, as this is my first time dealing with this kind of brake, but it’s already better than my old brake and the bike looks cleaner now. I don’t use the back brake much at all, but both brakes are required by law here, so I figure if I have to have it, might as well make it a good one.
Old 07-19-21, 06:26 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Sure thing!

The adapter clamps onto the chainstays and lets you mount a direct-mount brake there. I don’t have it set up all that well yet, as this is my first time dealing with this kind of brake, but it’s already better than my old brake and the bike looks cleaner now. I don’t use the back brake much at all, but both brakes are required by law here, so I figure if I have to have it, might as well make it a good one.
Hahaha - its like a clamp-on version of the old mountain bike under chainstays brake. I'm not sure if its cool or not cool. IIRC in the old days those dealies were all U-brakes rather than road calipers like yours. But there are reasons that they stopped using them after a couple years. You got a link to that thing? I'm curious what the unattached assembly looks like. Ride safe...
Old 07-19-21, 06:08 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
You got a link to that thing? I'm curious what the unattached assembly looks like. Ride safe...
The product on the manufacturer’s site is here.

Made locally in Nagano, they make a number of adapters and things like that, including a few brake mounts specifically for track bikes.

Last edited by Fugazi Dave; 07-19-21 at 06:09 PM. Reason: URL went all weird
Old 07-19-21, 06:26 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
My latest... Missed having a singlespeed.

Old 07-27-21, 06:58 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Done!

Will get final weight. Will be in the 21.5ish rate I think with Brooks. With higher end/lighter tires and tubes could probably shave a couple hundred grams.

One time owned by Martin Copland who was a Scottish grass path (track) racer of some clout. From my internet sleuthing, was able to determine it came to Chicago area about 15 years ago. Passed some hands, got to me. Not 💯 period correct, but is 100% functional, rideable, and perfect for me. Just sharing what I have info wise, for future reference and documentation. Frame repaired at some point near seat post binder. Has support bands which make max seatpost 26.7, originally would have been 27.2.

- 1969(?) Carlton Flyer RT model (drilled for front brake) this is purely speculation on year and model. Frame bare is approx 2180 grams, fork approx 790 grams. 60 c-t seat tube x 57 c-c top tube.
- Tange headset- campy bottom bracket (114mm iso, perfect chain line)
- GB bars (map) and stem- generic seatpost and saddle clamp
- Stronglight 49d crankset
- TA chainring (looking for criterium/track adaptor for all you hoarders who have one)
- Brooks swallow

- Milwaukee Bicycle Co hubs laced to mavic open elite (I know, but close enough from 10 feet)
- Continental Grand Prix classic 700x25
- VO cotton bar tape, over Fizik 2mm gel pads- Velox wood plugs, Velox classic (washer) didn't fit, will replace when I get washer solution figured out- Weinmann 500 caliper (NOS)
- Weinmann lever w/Carlton hood
- MKS Sylvan touring pedals and cages w/custom toe straps

I think that's it. Will post better pics when I'm out and about with DSLR. Nursing a separation of the AC joint, so no riding for now.

Riding impressions: fairly light, tracks well. Some BB/stay flex when climbing, but I'm also a large man. Relaxed enough for 30 mile FG rides. Could probably fit smaller measuring 28mm in front, maybe 30mm in rear. Too much into it money wise, but happy where it is.

Last edited by Senrab62; 08-06-21 at 12:36 PM. Reason: formatting
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 07-27-21, 06:41 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward1066
My latest... Missed having a singlespeed.

Yooo! That map holder is amazing! Love it!
Likes For nel e nel:
Old 07-29-21, 03:03 PM
JJ Mango 

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
Made a few changes to the Trek build - a pair of silver A23/Formulas, proper cable clamps, and some grips that better matched the Brooks. Also swapped out the black chain ring to keep the all silver component theme going. Just have to install the new brakes when they arrive next week, then the VO headset I've been too lazy to bother with, and I think I might be done. At least for a while.

I love what you did with the Trek. I just purchased a mostly stock 1980 Peugeot Competition PKN10E in hopes of converting to a SS city errand cruiser, and this really resonates with the look I'm going for. May I ask what bar-stem combo you went with, and how wide you were able to go on the 700s?

Likes For JJ Mango:
Old 07-31-21, 06:08 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Just got back from a 32 mile shake down ride and I had a blast! I can foresee SS becoming my weekend go-to. It's a 'french fit', to be sure, but it rides so smooth and silent. Very stoked on what turned out to be pretty much a parts bin build.

The deets, for those who care about such things (I know I would):

1980/1 (?) Centurion Super Le Mans, 23"
Sturmey Archer HBT30 32h track hubs with flip flop rear laced to Sun CR18 700c rims. Rear is spaced to 130. 18t Shimano freewheel/16T Redline track cog.
Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard 700 x 28
Sugino LP 170 crank arms with Sugino 48t chainring and Origin8 track chainring bolts.
Shimano UN55 cartridge bottom bracket.
Some off-brand vintage bmx pedals that are kinda thrashed.
Weinmann 610 centerpull brakes
Tektro brake levers
Tange Levin headset
Nitto Technomic stem
? 26.4 seatpost
Vetta SL saddle
Soma Portola handlebars with cheapo cork tape.

Last edited by bargo68; 07-31-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-31-21, 06:21 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Nice bike
enjoy!
it’s hard not to on a ss or fixed gear.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 08-02-21, 03:53 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
This one may be the, then, most frugal single speed here. Bought it new about seven years ago. I'm now a 67 year old cancer survivor with one blown knee. Two years of cancer treatment took away much of my strength and stamina. But, I'm back on the bike again. I ride it as a single speed, not a fixie. Paid $75 for it new. I use it on a daily 2.5 mile route with enough hills to make it a workout, and time each day to compare. Have not been able to ride standing up due to the knee, so, it's a bit of a challenge. The bike weighs about 31 pounds with an added seat stem rack and water bottle cage. It uses 700C tires. I"d guess about 29 lbs without those items. I've just done basic maintenance on it. Replaced both tires, one set of brakes, cleaned, inspected front and rear hub bearings, and repacked with grease. Hoping that riding will improve the knee, give me back some of that strength and stamina that was taken from me, and that I may then be able to ride farther and longer like I used to.

Not my bike, but it's just like this one.
Likes For birdmove:
Old 08-02-21, 04:21 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Cool bike
price means little. I paid more for my used rack than I paid for my bike.
congrats on surviving.
Cancer sucks. That’s all there is to it.
Knees are another design flaw.
I hope when I am 67 I can still ride every day.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 08-02-21, 04:56 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I’ve owned my Specialized Hardrock for several years and always wondered how I would like it’s a single speed, but because of the vertical dropouts, never gave it try , until now .
I’m 70 and looking at making a bike that that’s easy pedaling , to “spin” my way around the neighborhood.
I just finished it up today and I’m thinking I’m going to enjoy this one .
With a 30 tooth single chainring and a 21 tooth rear cog , I spin out around 9.5 mph. That’s fast enough for me and it allows me to spin up the hills around here .
Old 08-02-21, 05:03 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Nice
Im just about done building up something similar on an unknown frame (curb find) for messing around on the dirt trails. No hills around here, but we have levee banks, soft sand and wind so I can pretend.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 08-02-21, 05:07 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by birdmove
This one may be the, then, most frugal single speed here. Bought it new about seven years ago. I'm now a 67 year old cancer survivor with one blown knee. Two years of cancer treatment took away much of my strength and stamina. But, I'm back on the bike again. I ride it as a single speed, not a fixie. Paid $75 for it new. I use it on a daily 2.5 mile route with enough hills to make it a workout, and time each day to compare. Have not been able to ride standing up due to the knee, so, it's a bit of a challenge. The bike weighs about 31 pounds with an added seat stem rack and water bottle cage. It uses 700C tires. I"d guess about 29 lbs without those items. I've just done basic maintenance on it. Replaced both tires, one set of brakes, cleaned, inspected front and rear hub bearings, and repacked with grease. Hoping that riding will improve the knee, give me back some of that strength and stamina that was taken from me, and that I may then be able to ride farther and longer like I used to.

I say good for you!

Your bike may not be as fancy or lightweight as many of the ones people show here, but the important thing is it gets used. Few things are stupider than a really nice bike that's a garage queen. And if you're riding yours every day, it has probably given more value than many of the nice ones photographed and shown off, in terms of hours of enjoyment per dollar spent. I have too many bikes. I ride all of them, but some have not yet given a value anywhere near one hour per dollar. You've probably got me beat by a long shot!*

I hope your strength continues to build and your knee improves, so you can enjoy riding your bike for many more years.

I assume on your own bike the brake levers are positioned at a comfortable angle. That's the one thing that looks really wonky in the example picture you posted.

* You've also certainly beaten some guys who spend upwards of $10k on a flagship model from Specialized, Colnago, Pinarello, or the like, and ride it a few times a month. I mean, I'm sure those ultralight carbon fiber machines look really pretty hanging up in a sparkling clean garage, next to a Porsche or Range Rover. To me, they look even better out on the road, getting dirty with sweat dripped from above and road grit flung up from below.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-02-21, 05:20 PM
birdmove

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I say good for you!

Your bike may not be as fancy or lightweight as many of the ones people show here, but the important thing is it gets used. Few things are stupider than a really nice bike that's a garage queen. And if you're riding yours every day, it has probably given more value than many of the nice ones photographed and shown off, in terms of hours of enjoyment per dollar spent. I have too many bikes. I ride all of them, but some have not yet given a value anywhere near one hour per dollar. You've probably got me beat by a long shot!*

I hope your strength continues to build and your knee improves, so you can enjoy riding your bike for many more years.

I assume on your own bike the brake levers are positioned at a comfortable angle. That's the one thing that looks really wonky in the example picture you posted.

* You've also certainly beaten some guys who spend upwards of $10k on a flagship model from Specialized, Colnago, Pinarello, or the like, and ride it a few times a month. I mean, I'm sure those ultralight carbon fiber machines look really pretty hanging up in a sparkling clean garage, next to a Porsche or Range Rover. To me, they look even better out on the road, getting dirty with sweat dripped from above and road grit flung up from below.

Yeah, I've got the brake handles adjusted well well me. I still like this very basic single speed bike. I did an extra four miles on yesterday just for fun. Not ready to ride it to Hilo and back yet, but optimistic I'll get there.
And, thanks for your comments!!
Likes For birdmove:
Old 08-02-21, 05:40 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Not ready to ride it to Hilo and back yet,
I'm not ready to ride to Hilo either. Since I'm in Utah, I guess it would be very wet ride. But I would LOVE to put my bike and myself on a plane and fly there, then do some epic rides all over the islands!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-02-21, 06:52 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
NBD: 2018 Rinsei Lab Keirin

Yay! I received the frame and built it up this morning, and then gave it an inaugural 70km ride this afternoon. I am kinda excited about this bicycle—more than I have been in quite a while when it comes to a bike. The oversized downtube changes the ride noticeably in terms of stiffness—a subtle but quantifiably different feel than the other keirin bikes... Super dope. And the paint is insane... Rinsei-san is certainly an artist in all meaningful ways when it comes to making a frame.

Old 08-02-21, 08:50 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
Yay! I received the frame and built it up this morning, and then gave it an inaugural 70km ride this afternoon. I am kinda excited about this bicycle—more than I have been in quite a while when it comes to a bike. The oversized downtube changes the ride noticeably in terms of stiffness—a subtle but quantifiably different feel than the other keirin bikes... Super dope. And the paint is insane... Rinsei-san is certainly an artist in all meaningful ways when it comes to making a frame.

Beautiful build! Love it. Thanks for sharing!

What tires are those?
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 08-02-21, 08:59 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by Senrab62
What tires are those?
The tires are nothing special: They're the Panaracer Pasela at 25mm... If I am honest, I don't like having such a costly tire at the rear when riding brakeless... I'd much rather a $20USD RiBMo or Rando back there. However, when building this thing up, I kinda got stoked on the look of skin walls front and back and decided to just go with it. As soon as I shred the rear Pasela, I'll be returning to something more economically consumable—guaranteed
Old 08-03-21, 12:20 AM
birdmove

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I'm not ready to ride to Hilo either. Since I'm in Utah, I guess it would be very wet ride. But I would LOVE to put my bike and myself on a plane and fly there, then do some epic rides all over the islands!
You could ride over, what we call, Saddle Road, which goes over to the Kona side, where they do the Ironman competition annually. That's about an 85 mile ride. Unbelievably tough ride, but I see people doing it.
Old 08-03-21, 11:56 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Built this around an old Bianchi Pista frame about 20 years ago, including the wheels, still ride it til this day. I did the LA Wheelmen Grand Tour 200mi highland route on this bike a few years back.

Old 08-04-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You could ride over, what we call, Saddle Road, which goes over to the Kona side, where they do the Ironman competition annually. That's about an 85 mile ride. Unbelievably tough ride, but I see people doing it.
I know Saddle Road very well. When I was stationed in Oahu in the army we trained up in Pohakuloa often. I spent a week there once on detail with a rental car and drove it multiple times. I was never able to bring my bike but I always dreamed of riding it. If I lived on that island I'd probably have tree trunk legs.
Old 08-04-21, 11:14 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts

I'm using this bike as my everyday, everywhere rider ATM and wasn't feeling not having flat-fixing-stuff with us. Too much?

Likes For IAmSam:
Old 08-05-21, 05:06 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

I'm using this bike as my everyday, everywhere rider ATM and wasn't feeling not having flat-fixing-stuff with us. Too much?
I know that I float this balloon every time I see this bike, though it is the honest truth that this is my favorite bike in our secluded section of this forum... Indeed, so much so, that my casual-fun-runaround-bike now has pink Neubaum's bar tape as a direct result.

The pink saddle bag is insanely dope... It just balances out the entire color scheme that we have going on here. It almost makes the bike feel more 'planted', in that the brightness front and back makes the whole thing more balanced. Methinks it is a benefit, not a detriment.

Though I have to type: It always makes me smile and feel hopeful when I see this bike pop up here...
Likes For ethet:
Old 08-05-21, 10:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampthing
Nice
Im just about done building up something similar on an unknown frame (curb find) for messing around on the dirt trails. No hills around here, but we have levee banks, soft sand and wind so I can pretend.
Nice. Rock it.

I actually wonder why anyone in FL has a derailleur. Headwinds?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.