Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Giant Cadex CFR overhaul

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Giant Cadex CFR overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 02:03 PM
Stormy85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Giant Cadex CFR overhaul

Hi guys and girls

I have a sad looking Giant Cadex CFR1 lying around and wanted to overhaul it and make it presentable. As shown on the picture the paint is not in a good condition anymore so I want to sand it down and possible spray a fresh coat of paint. I have the aero carbon fork as well. The bike will be build up with the original Shimano Tricolor 600 groupset that it came with. The original Rigida rims have been swapped to some Mavic OPEN SUP CD with the coated brake surface.
The new paint should flow with the age of the bike but I am not quite sure what color. I was thinking of a deep purple with white logos. I believe I saw some photos on google? Or perhaps just clear the carbon. In that case I would probably spraypaint a black fade over all the alu lugs. Not a fan of the bare alu. Any suggestions?
Also, anyone know where I might find the decals from back then?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Kind regards
Kim
Old 07-22-21, 11:22 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Cool frame! I have my doubts about decal availability. I think you may just need to use photos/tracings and have a graphics artist make vector drawings of them, and commission them custom. I kinda like the original color, but the purple/white sounds pretty good also.

If you clear the carbon, maybe try masking the lugs and painting something contrasting if you're bothered by the bare aluminum (I think it would look cool to be honest). Maybe a transparent finish so they look metallic. Trans purple?
Old 07-24-21, 05:27 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
The frame is missing the downtube shifter bosses and the front derailleur mount... did you remove them for painting? If not, then you're screwed, cuz you're never gonna find replacements.

Also, stripping the paint off of carbon fiber tubing can be tricky, as many of the easily-available chemicals don't play nice with epoxy resins. A Home Depot job this is not, IMHO. Make sure you buy the right stuff and follow the directions.

--Shannon
Old 07-25-21, 01:31 AM
Stormy85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
The frame is missing the downtube shifter bosses and the front derailleur mount... did you remove them for painting? If not, then you're screwed, cuz you're never gonna find replacements.

Also, stripping the paint off of carbon fiber tubing can be tricky, as many of the easily-available chemicals don't play nice with epoxy resins. A Home Depot job this is not, IMHO. Make sure you buy the right stuff and follow the directions.

--Shannon
Hi Shannon
Yes, I do have the front derailleur hanger and the shifter bosses. So that's not an issue.
I am going to sand the frame so chemicals shouldn't be an issue either. I might use some paint remover on the lugs.
Old 07-25-21, 01:36 AM
Stormy85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Cool frame! I have my doubts about decal availability. I think you may just need to use photos/tracings and have a graphics artist make vector drawings of them, and commission them custom. I kinda like the original color, but the purple/white sounds pretty good also.

If you clear the carbon, maybe try masking the lugs and painting something contrasting if you're bothered by the bare aluminum (I think it would look cool to be honest). Maybe a transparent finish so they look metallic. Trans purple?
Yeah, I tried Google without much luck. I guess I will have to do the vectors. I managed to do the cadex logo but not really sure if it is a hit or miss. The photos I am using are not that high quality and unfortunately I already sanded the logo on the frame
In terms of color now I am thinking British racing green with cream and white decals. Always wanted to do that color.
Old 07-25-21, 04:49 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Have you tried velocals?

--Shannon