Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Velocity Aerohead (Road) Replacement Rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Velocity Aerohead (Road) Replacement Rim?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 09:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
......I have also been reading that RR on a drum is not a good real world test since none of us ride on a steel drum or really smooth asphalt either. Silca makes a good point in their almost impossible to find blog posts........

Exactly!

I can't believe all the lemmings that think a test on a 20" diameter drum is going to have a contact patch resembling that of a flat surface.
The drum is obviously going to favor the more supple sidewall.
I expect a supple sidewall to be "better", but not to the degree the test leads some to believe.

A better test would to be roll the bike down a ramp with a chronograph located at a point where the bike is just off the ramp on the level surface and another at a measured distance away.
Make "n" passes for an average.
Compare the % lost between the 2 points.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 07-23-21 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
You are technically correct in that the hub, spokes, rim are stiff enough not to affect compliance (suspension). However, the road-tire-rim interface DOES affect compliance and ride quality. Changing from a 20 to a 23mm rim width significantly affects the profile (shape) of the tire cross section hence its compliance and contribution to ride quality. The same thing happens in your car with low-profile tires.
No, a 3mm change in rim width doesn’t have much of an effect on the tire cross section. People seem to get hung up on the whole number nature of the metric system. 3 mm is the width of a nickel. It will change the tire profile a little but, honestly, a “huge difference” is more perception than real.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-21, 06:34 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Well, I actually switched to the old, narrower rimed spare wheels and went for a 68 mile ride today.We had some good asphalt and some really terrible chip & seal. Running the same pressures that I had recently been running on the A23s I noticed a definite improvement in ride quality but it is not nearly as much as what I remember after originally switching to the A23s. I suspect that this is because I was still running too much pressure in the A23s at the time. Looks like I need to find some better tires with more supple casings.