Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Motorized electric or gas?

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 03-02-18, 10:30 PM
Jestjoking69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Show 'em off! Which motor and why? Jack shaft or no?
Old 03-05-18, 10:27 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Why not both? Electric motor in the front and/or rear wheel, and a gas engine driving a generator to keep the batteries charged?
Old 03-06-18, 09:55 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i've picked up a few electric bikes (an orange crush bike i've been trying to leave whole, and a couple of mongoose electric bmx bikes that may end up being whatever i can think of for them), but with dead batteries so i don't have real experience riding them. i have a motorcycle so i'm not too interested in a gas engine on a bike, but i have a few ideas where i'd like to try adding electric assist to a bicycle.
Old 03-07-18, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts

motorpacing on the velodrome..
Old 03-10-18, 03:26 AM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The upside of bicycle transport is that it's quiet and emissions free. If you're putting a two-smoke engine on it you're defeating the point in my eyes. It's not like electric kits are rare and unaffordable nowadays.
Old 03-13-18, 01:54 AM
skjoldger

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Gas engine kits should be outlawed, at least all but a few bikes.
I keep seeing the cheapest of the cheap with 80cc engines on them.
What gives? Why would someone put a fellow human on what is a death trap by any other name?
Sure that coaster brake or crappy rim brake might slow you down from 35 to 40mph a few times, but what then?
Once that brake gets hot there goes your stopping power.
Not to mention the stress dynamics it (frame+forks) was engineered for are multiplied by a factor.

This times a 100. I have the kit but im scared of it. So the engine is just on display in my workshop
Old 03-23-18, 02:01 AM
Roger2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ruled out internal combustion engines because of then noise level. If there was some way of making a quiet 2 natural gas engine I would prefer it over electric.
Old 05-12-18, 05:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts

Glad I found this thread. I thought there was a forum for (gasoline) motorized bikes...I guess not. I frequent several of the BFs but this is my first post in the alt bike culture thread. Anyway...my concern is over a motorized bike that my teenage Godson has. It was "a kit" but I'm not sure of the engine size. Generally, he's more mechanical than lots of kids. But like most teenagers he's stupid too. He doesn't know a lot about specific bicycle mechanics...so he usually comes to me. Case in point: He brought a rear wheel over today that was missing more than half the spokes, and he asked me to essentially re-lace it for him. It's all set now... tensioned, and trued. I haven't actually laid eyes on this motorized bike, but some of the things he's mentioned to me about it have me worried. He says that it's go about 30-35mph. But like you said...the bike frame and wheels are not designed for those speeds. And then he mentioned that there aren't rear brakes on it...just front. OMG! I told him to get working rear brakes on it BEFORE he rides it again. (I envisioned and ass over teakettle situation followed by dental work, and facial reconstruction.) And, I told his mother about all this and clued her into my general concerns. She knew about the motorized bike, but not the condition he keeps it in (i.e. no rear brakes). So, knowing that he's going to keep riding it...what other concerns should I consider?

Damn kid!!! Saw him today and he tells me that he sold the motorized bicycle for $400. And then he tells me that part of his sales pitch was that "it has a newly re-spoked rear wheel"...THE SAME WHEEL THAT I JUST COMPLETLEY RE-LACED FOR HIM...FOR NO CHARGE. I said I better be seeing at least $100 of that money. Little fncker!!!

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-28-18 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-13-18, 08:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Buy a Moped if you want Petrol power, it will have BHP , to bring it to a stop.

The Mid drive electric bike market is good for 2018, As long as you have sufficient funds..
Old 05-14-18, 12:12 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c u3
What gives? Why would someone put a fellow human on what is a death trap by any other name?
Sure that coaster brake or crappy rim brake might slow you down from 35 to 40mph a few times, but what then?
Not to mention the stress dynamics it (frame+forks) was engineered for are multiplied by a factor.
I tend to agree with that , I remember my first motorcycle pretty much a scooter with fairing it was fifty cc and it had a lot more frame mass than these bicycles with those 80 cc engines they're selling today,,, better brakes too,
Old 05-20-18, 10:29 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c u3
35 to 40MPH?

ahaha no. 20 to 25 out of a standard kit, they're severely limited by the bad ports. Anyone who's knowledgeable enough to get 40 out of one is smart enough to fit adequate brakes.

It's a bit ridiculous to fearmonger. These have been a normal product for almost a hundred years, and aren't particularly unsafe. here in holland they're for old grannies who don't like to pedal much anymore and even then they're seen as a bit old fashioned since e-bikes became common. The problem with the chinese kit engines is that they need a significant amount of reworking to be powerful and reliable.

Still, I liked the one I had very much. £125 or so on ebay nowadays, vs an equivalent electric kit would be what, £800 and take six weeks to come from china? I know how to tune an engine so I know my choice.
Likes For Cute Boy Horse:
Old 06-12-18, 09:36 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I live in Canada and our bicycles can be electrified but if we add a petrol motor then we need to get license, plates, and insurance. Hence why most up here are electric.
Old 06-15-18, 09:05 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Bio-Nuclear. It's the future (Marty).

Actually, I am the engine and Boy, are my valves a mess.
Old 06-17-18, 10:08 AM
ElijahCooper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Bio-Nuclear. It's the future (Marty).

Actually, I am the engine and Boy, are my valves a mess.
Wow, I've never heard of this, and in the web has not found information about this engine, do not tell where i can read?
Old 06-27-18, 06:39 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
single speed.
three speed.
ten speed.
twenty seven speed.
thirty three speed.
electric motors.
gas motors.

where will it stop... ??? Oh, no. it's what ever works for you... Right???
Old 06-27-18, 11:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Ends with inadequate Brakes ..
Old 07-09-18, 07:15 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saale
The upside of bicycle transport is that it's quiet and emissions free. If you're putting a two-smoke engine on it you're defeating the point in my eyes. It's not like electric kits are rare and unaffordable nowadays.
Agreed. Also, electric because they're more similar to a time machine.
Old 07-09-18, 08:07 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

I always thought it would be nice to put a motor on Bailey's trike.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-09-18, 11:08 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I saw a Whizzer motorized bike on sunday, thought it was some vintage motorcycle, though it might as well had been. I want to get an electric kit for one of my bikes. The job I just got fired from is like 20miles from my apartment. I could've forgone riding the bus and the money saved from getting a gas kit or a scooter was going to getting the transmission rebuilt. Some of those ekits will do 40mph or so. I honestly am not the biggest fan of electric vehicles, I borderline hate them, but I'm intrigued by them and want to build a few.
Old 07-27-18, 03:04 PM
badangel

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric of course!!!
Old 07-29-18, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

pragmatic

Here Hunters buy electric mid drive MTB, for looking for Elk, deer, on timber company owned land..

petrol motorbikes, are banned ,

but electric powered is still considered a bicycle, by the land owning corporations.
Old 08-24-18, 10:43 PM
zombiemaster22

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
motorized bicycles are cooler. you ever see those youtube videos where people are riding bicycles on the highway at 70+ mph.
its a sight to behold.
Old 08-26-18, 06:02 AM
3speeds2slow

Bikes: Huffy 3 speed All Pro, Schwinn Third Avenue (21 speed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about steam powered?
Old 08-26-18, 02:20 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can huff and puff and see my breath in winter, does that count?
Old 09-16-18, 03:41 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Haters gonna hate
Ain’ters gonna ain’t
Too many apose motor assist unless it’s electric. Electric is cool af but some people just have a thing for cumbustion motors. you can’t think of everything but I feel like I have. I’ll help you this and not dismiss your interest. There’s sort of a formula to making something you can trust. Some questions you have to ask yourself. Do you want to go the complicated route or the non complicated route? Can you live with one gear on your bike? it doesn’t matter what your budget is Do you have at least a thousand dollars to spend? Four stroke no exceptions. An up to date e bike is around the same. In the end the cumbustion motor kit would last longer and would take you and your bike more miles than you ever would with out it. Probably more miles than some of these snobs will ever get to. There’s more lawnmower shops that could service a 49cc four stroke and bike shops that could service a bike. Than there a shops that could help you with your e bike. Look for gasbike frames with built in gas tanks. They usually have a 49cc four stroke. If they were smart. Can be found around $200 doesn’t run or runs like poop. Four bolts took the motor out dropped it off at a lawn mower shop. Carb rebuild $45 done. New tubes $6 Be familiar with the definition for the word “forethought “

Last edited by AtNjineer; 09-16-18 at 03:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.