Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Velo: Thus far, thus bonkers

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Velo: Thus far, thus bonkers

Old 07-27-20, 02:39 AM
MrInitialMan

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I found some trailer springs that were 1-3/4 inches across. I can work with this. I'm thinking of I'm thinking of using one of these for the rear transverse springs, and removing most of the leaves to make it softer and lighter.. I looked up how to soften leaf springs, and apparently removing the shortest leaves will do the trick.

Someone suggested a swing axle setup for the front, and I think I'll go with that. I know these are just asking for trouble at high speed--but I'm not going to be going THAT fast.

There is one other reason I want suspension: Some of the businesses in my town have driveways that meet the road at quite the slope, so either I'd have to make sure I was completely out of the driveway before turning (leaving me way out in traffic) or end up on 2 or 3 wheels momentarily (with major torsion stress to the frame) as I turn out of the parking lot.

UPDATE: The gentleman who built the Nephew of Fantom told me that his ride weights about 83 kilograms, or 182 lbs. That does, however, include an electric assist system, which mine won't have.

UPDATE 2: I'm lengthening the nose and rear by 6 inches each for better aerodynamics. I'll still look at that kayak skin you suggested, squirtdad. I found a video on it, and see how it hardens, and how sturdy it is. Maybe I could even use it for the floor. Can you use Tremclad paint on it? I want to paint this medium blue (I have reasons.)

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 07-29-20 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 02:23 AM
MrInitialMan

Another design change. I realized that where I have my front wheels would result in EXTREMELY limited turning (the wheels could deflect a maximum of 8 degrees before hitting the body). I was looking around and found inspiration in pictures of hot rods, of all places--there's a type of front transverse suspension called a Bulldog Front End in which the front spring is actually in front of the chassis altogether. Because of my wedge nose, I can get far more angle on my front wheels, so I think I'll go with that.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 07-31-20 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 05:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
I found some trailer springs that were 1-3/4 inches across. I can work with this. I'm thinking of I'm thinking of using one of these for the rear transverse springs, and removing most of the leaves to make it softer and lighter.. I looked up how to soften leaf springs, and apparently removing the shortest leaves will do the trick.

Someone suggested a swing axle setup for the front, and I think I'll go with that. I know these are just asking for trouble at high speed--but I'm not going to be going THAT fast.

There is one other reason I want suspension: Some of the businesses in my town have driveways that meet the road at quite the slope, so either I'd have to make sure I was completely out of the driveway before turning (leaving me way out in traffic) or end up on 2 or 3 wheels momentarily (with major torsion stress to the frame) as I turn out of the parking lot.

UPDATE: The gentleman who built the Nephew of Fantom told me that his ride weights about 83 kilograms, or 182 lbs. That does, however, include an electric assist system, which mine won't have.

UPDATE 2: I'm lengthening the nose and rear by 6 inches each for better aerodynamics. I'll still look at that kayak skin you suggested, squirtdad. I found a video on it, and see how it hardens, and how sturdy it is. Maybe I could even use it for the floor. Can you use Tremclad paint on it? I want to paint this medium blue (I have reasons.)
not familar with trenckad,,,,but I would think you could do the urethane seal and then a color coat

Old 08-08-20, 02:10 AM
MrInitialMan

Tremclad is a brand my dad used to paint his sheep handling equipment way back in the day--medium blue, to be exact. So, I hope to paint my velo the same colour.

And now that I know how much that velo weighs, I got an idea of how much mine should weigh.

Also, Rhoades Cars apparently weigh in the 100 lbs. vicinity as well.

UPDATE: I think I've hosed myself with buying that rear differential. Are 36-hole rims really niche? because those are the hubs I have.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 08-09-20 at 06:09 AM. Reason: #1: Had a wrong word ("works" should have been "weighs") #2: Update after visit to local bike shop.
Old 08-14-20, 08:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
For some ideas, google- Don potts my first car
left me gobsmacked as a kid.
Old 08-20-20, 03:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

may be of interest diy recumbent plans https://www.atomiczombie.com/

check out the

TriCruiser Winter Trike

LodeRunner Utility Trike

StreetFox Tadpole Trike

TimberWolf USS Trike

Last edited by squirtdad; 08-20-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 07:13 PM
MrInitialMan

I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old 02-23-23, 05:22 AM
MrInitialMan

After a few years, an update.

So, I abandoned this project for a while, due to depression and dissatisfaction at how this was going.

*Sighs* I've lost access to the shop I was going to build this in. My dad, who was going to do the welding, cannot weld anymore anyways. I don't think this thing will ever be built.
Likes For MrInitialMan:
Old 02-23-23, 07:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Thanks for checking back in, even if it's not good news. Sorry about your dad and your shop access.
Old 02-23-23, 08:09 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
hang in there. Hope you find other, simpler projects to bring you some joy.
Old 02-23-23, 12:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I also thank you for the update. I hope there will be more follow up as life and karma play out. My passions are hands on metal stuff, been this way since I got my Dad's old Erector Set as a child. When I had my bike shop a lot of this had to be placed on a back burner. I learned to come up with small projects that might only take an hour or three spread over a few weeks to keep my creative juices from completely drying up. Please don't stop trying to make stuff. Andy
Old 02-23-23, 03:35 PM
MrInitialMan

I've resumed work on the design. My goals have not changed it:

- Weather Shell
- Cargo space (thus the big size)
- Stability (thus the four wheels)
- Comfy ride, including some protection against often rough roads.(thus the suspension)
Likes For MrInitialMan:
Old 05-06-23, 10:13 PM
MrInitialMan

Bit of an update---with what I'm going with, the frame weighs almost 83 lbs thus far. >_<

I know I need to lighten it A LOT, but whenever I think of going with no suspension, I think of that video where the velo frame broke on an icy, bumpy road, and I'm also thinking of how painful a broken tailbone would be.

Oh, I know Fat Tyres exist. They are HORRIBLE for pedalling, in my opinion.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 05-06-23 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For MrInitialMan:
Old 05-07-23, 09:06 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I think it is the 90's era Corvette that used fibre glass leaf springs. Weight was considerably less than steel. May be a viable option for you provided a live axle design is possible, or is you can design an independent design around the leaf spring design. Older motorcycles had them on the front, BMW comes to mind right away, but there were others.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-07-23, 03:01 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,065 Posts
Oh, I know Fat Tyres exist. They are HORRIBLE for pedalling, in my opinion.
"Horrible" isn't very specific. Can you say more about what you don't like about them? If you mean rolling resistance, then maybe you haven't seen some of the recent studies on this. I think it's safe to say that a thin tread and supple casing on a wide tire rolls better than a heavily armored narrow tire. Wide tires used to be slow because they were all thick tread and stiff casing. The current best-of-breed in thin/supple fat tires have been used to win races and set records, and are essentially free suspension with little downside.

If by fat tyres you mean the ultra-wide tires on so-called "fat bikes" then yeah, maybe there aren't any on the market that are fast-rolling. I don't know, never got interested in those bikes. I'm talking about tires up to say 60 mm, not twice that.

Mark B
Old 05-07-23, 05:24 PM
MrInitialMan

I meant the tyres on fat bikes. The rolling resistance was that of a soft tyre multiplied by the increased size.

Also the weight I cited did not include the springs. Those would have been a few more pounds.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 05-07-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-08-23, 03:59 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I think it is the 90's era Corvette that used fibre glass leaf springs. Weight was considerably less than steel. May be a viable option for you provided a live axle design is possible, or is you can design an independent design around the leaf spring design. Older motorcycles had them on the front, BMW comes to mind right away, but there were others.
Or if you can find some Moulton rubber cone springs. These are used on Moulton bicycles and are a smaller version of the ones used on the Austin Mini. Very compact and light. I think the bicycle ones are self-damping (the cars have conventional telescopic shock absorbers).
Likes For guy153:
Old 05-12-23, 04:50 PM
squirtdad

maybe something like this https://ferlafamilybikes.com/product...o-bike-inspire has covers and such https://ferlafamilybikes.com/product...ssories-bundle

I recall you want to be covered, but you can get some really nice rain/cold clothes and inside or not nothing is going to be warm at 40 below (says the montana guy who grew up watching Lethbridge TV, and is always on the lookout for Old Dutch potato chips)

Old 06-05-23, 03:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
There is no such thing as a four-wheeled e-bike in Canada; power-assisted bicycles are described under Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) as (amongst other things) " is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground."

A four-wheeled vehicle with a motor of any kind is a passenger car and subject to all regulations thereof. This is what I got from the Alberta DOT, and that's a can of worms I do NOT want to open.

By the way, do you guys think that in the floor frame I could get away with 1x1" and 1x2" 18-gauge tubing? That drops the weight of the floor frame down to 44 lbs. Even 16-guage brings it down to 58.

Or maybe even 1/8th" wall aluminum tubing of the same size?
I'm guessing very few of us here have designed or fabricated an example of a steered quad cycle (beyond perhaps tiller steering) much less one with tie rod steering and with a front suspension on a frame which does not itself flex to provide the suspension. But that little Fantom thing in the YouTube is an example. Can't you take its frame design as an example of how stout you need your frame tubes to be or scale up or down from it? Some of us here have some background in design and night be able to help you scale up to the next size, or downward.

Plus how do you (here I mean the OP) manage climbing versus descending? Do you have a multispeed transmission or is it essentially a fixed gear?

Seems like it would be nice if you were Henry Ford. Are you?

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-05-23 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 01:29 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm guessing very few of us here have designed or fabricated an example of a steered quad cycle (beyond perhaps tiller steering) much less one with tie rod steering and with a front suspension on a frame which does not itself flex to provide the suspension. But that little Fantom thing in the YouTube is an example. Can't you take its frame design as an example of how stout you need your frame tubes to be or scale up or down from it? Some of us here have some background in design and night be able to help you scale up to the next size, or downward.

Plus how do you (here I mean the OP) manage climbing versus descending? Do you have a multispeed transmission or is it essentially a fixed gear?

Seems like it would be nice if you were Henry Ford. Are you?
No, I'm not Henry Ford. It's got a 5-speed derailleur. I wanted suspension because a video of the Fantom showed the frame breaking during winter driving--brittle metal and rough roads. And the guy who built the thing told me that the metal he used was 16-gauge 1,5" square tubing.

So, this is my latest incarnation of this impending disaster.

https://mrinitialman.com/CycleVan/Cyc...van2023.sxhtml
Old 06-07-23, 07:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
"Brittle metal"- Steel usually gets this way from either overheating the joints (weld/brazing) or from fatigue building up over many cycles of stress. So that vid was of a poorly made or poorly designed structure. Andy
Old 06-10-23, 01:02 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by squirtdad
maybe something like this https://ferlafamilybikes.com/product...o-bike-inspire has covers and such https://ferlafamilybikes.com/product...ssories-bundle

I recall you want to be covered, but you can get some really nice rain/cold clothes and inside or not nothing is going to be warm at 40 below (says the montana guy who grew up watching Lethbridge TV, and is always on the lookout for Old Dutch potato chips)

That's a cool setop, but you're still exposed to rain.