Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Entry-level fixie?

Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Entry-level fixie?

Old 06-20-20, 08:37 AM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Entry-level fixie?

I've been looking to get a fixie to use as a beater commuter. I've never ridden one before but am very curious to try it out since so many people say they love it. I'm just looking for a cheap thing that will get me from A to B and be mostly reliable. Also looking to ride in the winter in Ottawa, Canada so cold and snowy! I've been looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I saw a Critical Cycles fixie for $150 and a 6KU for $200. They're both gone now but just for future reference, are either of these decent bikes for what I'm looking to do? From my research Critical Cycles is not very reliable but 6KU is decent? Any tips or guidance is appreciated!
Old 06-21-20, 07:55 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
I've been looking to get a fixie to use as a beater commuter. I've never ridden one before but am very curious to try it out since so many people say they love it. I'm just looking for a cheap thing that will get me from A to B and be mostly reliable. Also looking to ride in the winter in Ottawa, Canada so cold and snowy! I've been looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I saw a Critical Cycles fixie for $150 and a 6KU for $200. They're both gone now but just for future reference, are either of these decent bikes for what I'm looking to do? From my research Critical Cycles is not very reliable but 6KU is decent? Any tips or guidance is appreciated!
You might get more responses in the Single Speed/Fixed Gear forum. My suggestion is to find an older steel road bike and convert it. All you might need to add is a new rear wheel. Check out Sheldon Brown's website. He has a section relating to converting a road bike to fixed gear. I own a couple fixed gear bikes and while they're great, I love riding my converted bike a lot.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 07-16-20, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
About as low as you can go .. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-700c...k-Red/23810254
Old 07-16-20, 12:35 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Take with a shaker of salt

You could dip a toe into fixed riding by riding single speed. You can determine your gearing by selecting a chainring and cog on your multi-speed bike, and not changing gears, when you buy or build a fixed bike, you'll know what ratio works then. 3/32nds or 1/8th? Drop, flat, or pursuit bar?

What's your tolerance for braze-on fittings that become superfluous, like shifter hardware and cable stops?

My only gripe with the modern, commercially available fixed-gear street bikes (track bikes are really neat, but aren't designed with braking in mind), is that they're mediocre welded chrome-moly plain gauge frames with Sunlite grade cranks, rims, tires... they're cheap to hit a price point. Lighter and more responsive frames start around $400 new, but still have the cheaper finish components.

Read through Sheldon Brown's page about converting old bikes for fixed gear duty.
Old 08-18-20, 02:52 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Wow... they still make those effing things?
Old 08-20-20, 09:23 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Wow... they still make those effing things?
Yepper.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me