Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How much is this going to cost..

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 04:17 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I have a 2013 Catrike Expedition....On the triple crank set, I took off the stock 30 tooth granny gear and put on a 26 tooth, changed the stock 39 tooth for a 42 tooth and kept the 53t. I installed a 11-40 rear cassette, making the hill climbs a little easier....I was thinking about a double chain ring (30-53) with a 10-50 cassette.....I don't think a system like that can work with a triple....I'd prefer the 2 gears compared to a single gear....sounds like the 10-50 would give you an insane low and an a good high gear compared to the 11-36 that came stock.....so anyone can think of another way (no motors) to climb like mountain goat and quick as a cougar on the down hill
Old 09-08-20, 06:06 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think you're crunching numbers without the knowledge of how gears work. People don't use those kinds of combinations because they won't shift well.
Old 09-08-20, 03:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I have a spreadsheet of all of the Catrike products as they existed in 2013 taken from the Catrike website. The gearing on both the Expedition and my Catrike 700 is chainrings - 30/39/52 and cassette 11/36. That gives a gear range of 20.7-117.6 gear inches for the CTE. If you compared that to many of the 20" drive wheel trikes from other manufacturers the low gear would be just a tad above what was normally found on their trikes for 8 and 9 speed systems (19-98 gear inches) . Most of us, if reasonably fit don't need anything below 20 gear inches for the terrain we would encounter. I almost never use the smallest chainring these days. I can't remember the last time I actually shifted into it even on steep hills.

If you were to install a 10/50 chainrings, you would need a front derailleur with a span of 40 teeth (50-11) and I wonder if such a derailleur even exists.
Old 09-08-20, 06:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Isn't SRAM Eagle the only RD that can handle the 10-50?
Old 09-10-20, 10:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Isn't SRAM Eagle the only RD that can handle the 10-50?
Yes, but I for one routinely swap the 30T granny found on just about all road triples for 24T creating 18" to 115" drivetrains that in theory should not work at all with your average Shimano Deore FD/RD. In reality it works quite well. The chain drags a bit on the back of the FD cage in the granny ring and maybe if I was paranoid about it I would put some sacrificial duct tape or something in that area but I am betting I will have taken up Shuffleboard or some other Senior Citizen pastime by then.
Old 10-24-20, 08:08 AM
ft3safety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Keep in mind rear derailleurs aren't able to handle a lot of chain slack. Velomobile forums have indicated that a schlumpf mountain drive may work. Another alternative is the efneo front crankset. Those should work with a super large cassette in the rear. Are you sure a 10 tooth in the rear will fit? Did you upgrade to a SRAM XD, XDR or a Shimano micro splined? If not, then 11 tooth may be the smallest.