Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

LeMond's New Carbon Bikes

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-23-20, 02:31 PM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

I just saw this in my news feed. Lemond is bringing two new carbon fiber E-Bikes to market which is the first product from his investment in carbon fiber production technologies. Pricey, but is it really compared to other electric powered vehicles? If I didn't live in the dangerous suburbs (non-friendly cycling roadways in North Jersey), I would consider one. I would be concerned about bicycle thieves. I wonder what kind of deterrents are built in besides unlocking with your phone (assuming its there). https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/lemo...ly-dutch-news/

Last edited by bg18947; 09-23-20 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For bg18947:
Old 09-24-20, 02:31 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Sorry, I'm out! The whole point of bicycle commuting is to save money, not spend more than you could get a used car for (I realize US$4,500 is pushing it for a used car these days).

I don't ever want to have a bicycle stolen but if it happens I like knowing that I can grab another one on Craigslist and get it set up for my commuting needs for well under $500.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 09-24-20, 02:56 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
This is what retired aging bike racers have to look forward to riding in their final years. Kind of depressing.
Likes For alan s:
Old 09-24-20, 08:41 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I didn’t see that one coming.
Old 09-25-20, 06:00 AM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe the Lemond family wants to be the Tesla of bikes?
Old 09-25-20, 08:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My first reaction was negative, but not about the price. The price isn't out of line for the market. (Compare to Specialized Turbo Vado.)

What I didn't like:
no obvious way to carry luggage - water either. Is it just bare for these press shots?
too integrated to easily adjust fit - light, stem and bars should be separable. Can't imagine what that assembly costs, too. What you get in return is hoses that aren't hidden until they get to the stem.
Clumsy launch (these are in the press but the website is still "coming soon")
Deserves real front suspension (I don't expect many to rally to me here, that's ok)
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-25-20, 12:56 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I’d buy a VanMoof first
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-25-20, 10:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Too fugly and expensive for my taste; I'll stick with my old steel bike.
Old 09-26-20, 07:15 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Parking downtown at my office is over $3,000 per year, so a $4,500 bike is chump change. Good that it has fenders, but for that much cash I want an enclosed chain, lights, and and higher handlebars.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 10-13-20, 10:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
versus a chain, it should have a belt drive system.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-04-20, 10:12 PM
Het Volk

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Wow - what is Lemond thinking? A city commuter bike need to be above all else:

(a) functional
(b) sturdy and built to take abuse, especially the frame getting dinged and or slammed against all sorts of other metal objects,
(c) Cheap enough as to not warrant worrying about it getting stolen anywhere and everywhere. IRO to me was the gold standard for a new urban bike, but honestly, at this point, any cheap BikesDirect bike as a base frame makes the most sense to me. Hi-Ten steel, 36 spoke clincher wheels.
Old 11-04-20, 10:32 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I don't understand the point of a carbon frame on a motorized bicycle.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 11-05-20, 03:19 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by Het Volk

(a) functional
(b) sturdy and built to take abuse, especially the frame getting dinged and or slammed against all sorts of other metal objects,
(c) Cheap enough as to not warrant worrying about it getting stolen anywhere and everywhere. IRO to me was the gold standard for a new urban bike, but honestly, at this point, any cheap BikesDirect bike as a base frame makes the most sense to me. Hi-Ten steel, 36 spoke clincher wheels.
Why does my/anyones commuter have to reflect your standards?
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-05-20, 09:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The website is still a lot of nothing. Could these be little more than trade show concepts?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-20, 10:50 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

I have a feeling when Trek bought Lemond there was a non-compete clause and it’s ending soon.
Old 11-05-20, 10:52 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Why does my/anyones commuter have to reflect your standards?
It doesn't. But I presume Lemond is in business to make money, and from a standpoint of a consumer, I think my point about urban commuter bike features generally are going to align with majority of consumers for that type of bike.
Old 11-05-20, 10:54 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Sorry, I'm out! The whole point of bicycle commuting is to save money, not spend more than you could get a used car for (I realize US$4,500 is pushing it for a used car these days).
Not to me. I actually prefer to ride my bike. You don't have to be poor to choose to use a bicycle for transportation. For example, in the city it makes it much easier to get around than finding a parking spot and then walk to your destination.

Anyway, I don't really like the look of the bike in the OP. It looks heavy and cumbersome (coming from someone who rides a cargo bike, that might seem ironic).
​​​​​​​
Old 11-05-20, 11:02 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't understand the point of a carbon frame on a motorized bicycle.
Probably because that since the batteries (and motor) are heavy, it makes it easier to manhandle when off the bike if the frame is a lightweight one. Other than that, I don't think there are any advantages. Packaging, maybe?
Old 11-05-20, 11:10 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
No doubt e-bikes are the growth segment for the future. Also, I don't think existing cyclists are the target customer, as we are presumably happy with the bikes we are riding.
After getting dropped on a hill by a little old lady on an ebike just yesterday, I can understand the appeal.
Old 11-05-20, 11:29 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

It doesn't. But I presume Lemond is in business to make money, and from a standpoint of a consumer, I think my point about urban commuter bike features generally are going to align with majority of consumers for that type of bike.
You’re one type of commuter, the shops here can’t keep e-bikes in stock whether 2000 or 10,000 euro. I went to the Van Moof store in Frankfurt at the end of September and was told it’ll be May before I can get one.
Old 11-05-20, 11:46 AM
Het Volk

You could be correct. I am a little saddened by the e-bike craze, as it is turning basically our bike paths into motorized scooter paths.
Old 11-05-20, 11:53 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts

(a) functional
This is a bike that someone would carry into their workplace and secure in their office. It needs to be light enough to be relatively easily carried. A 65lbs eBike lives a different life than a 30 lbs carbon eBike. At my work place, there's a ton of cyclists. The <$500 beaters are mostly parked in the racks outside, and the >$2k bikes live in offices. One of those takes significantly more abuse.

Also, the motor+battery on an eBike is a minimum $600, so even a minimum spec bike is ~$1000. At that price there's no point in going with less than an Aluminum frame.

I like the integrated lighting. One of the most frustrating parts about eBikes is having to charge the batteries for lights. I'm sitting on 600Wh battery, it'd be really nice to use it for lighting also.
Old 11-05-20, 12:19 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

You could be correct. I am a little saddened by the e-bike craze, as it is turning basically our bike paths into motorized scooter paths.
pedelecs are not e-motorcycles there’s no throttle
Old 11-05-20, 12:43 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by gsa103
This is a bike that someone would carry into their workplace and secure in their office. It needs to be light enough to be relatively easily carried. A 65lbs eBike lives a different life than a 30 lbs carbon eBike. At my work place, there's a ton of cyclists. The <$500 beaters are mostly parked in the racks outside, and the >$2k bikes live in offices. One of those takes significantly more abuse.

Also, the motor+battery on an eBike is a minimum $600, so even a minimum spec bike is ~$1000. At that price there's no point in going with less than an Aluminum frame.

I like the integrated lighting. One of the most frustrating parts about eBikes is having to charge the batteries for lights. I'm sitting on 600Wh battery, it'd be really nice to use it for lighting also.
One counter: A steel frame is the optimal frame for a commuter bike, given its ability to stand-up to wear and tear of urban cycling. So when you say "less than an aluminum frame" I would argue ALU is a worse material. And with the e-assist, weight is less of a concern. But I get your point.

However - I worry that the benefits of commuting by bike (exercise) is being lost by people basically just riding motorized scooters, which use coal powered electricity to recharge.
Old 11-05-20, 12:58 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

One counter: A steel frame is the optimal frame for a commuter bike, given its ability to stand-up to wear and tear of urban cycling. So when you say "less than an aluminum frame" I would argue ALU is a worse material. And with the e-assist, weight is less of a concern. But I get your point.
A steel frame rusts. Especially if you use it when the roads are salted (as you would if you commute year-round). What makes you think an aluminium framed bike can't "stand-up to wear and tear of urban cycling"?

However - I worry that the benefits of commuting by bike (exercise) is being lost by people basically just riding motorized scooters, which use coal powered electricity to recharge.
Why do you worry about their health? Maybe if they weren't using electric bikes, they'd take their car instead? I don't have an electric bike, but if I get old enough, I will probably have one in addition to a non-electric. I don't use my bike for "exercise". I just happen to get exercise as I use the bike if that makes sense.
As for coal-powered, it depends where you get your power from. Anyway, it's still cleaner than if each individual rode 2-stroke scooters/mopeds, a car for each person, or motorcycles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.