Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

Old 12-16-20, 08:03 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
"Cold Wimp" Succumbs

So my wife is still pushing forward on her Catrike Villager despite the colder temperatures here in NW AR. But I'm the proverbial "cold wimp"... just can't
handle that burn of the cold air going into my lungs and chest.

So, I saw something on a recumbent trike for sale the other day which looked really cool and was apparently for indoor (garage perhaps) training. It was
some kind of stand with a roller which sat under the rear wheel and allowed you to work out indoors on your recumbent trike.

Anyone out there know what this is, if it's any good, and where I might purchase one?

Thanks and Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,
Scubaquarius
Old 12-16-20, 11:51 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
https://www.sportcrafters.com/products/trike-trainers

It's cheaper than my velo, but I can't do trainers, I get bored after 15 minutes.

I'm going riding this afternoon to see how much snow is on the trails. I'll be in the velo though, so it's not as bad as being fully out in the air. I'm also a cold wimp, originally from AZ.
Old 12-16-20, 12:00 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
https://www.sportcrafters.com/products/trike-trainers

It's cheaper than my velo, but I can't do trainers, I get bored after 15 minutes.

I'm going riding this afternoon to see how much snow is on the trails. I'll be in the velo though, so it's not as bad as being fully out in the air. I'm also a cold wimp, originally from AZ.
Thanks so much for the link... exactly what I was looking for. Have a great ride today!

Scubaquarius
Old 12-20-20, 05:25 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
I went out today on my v-rex for about 9 miles, sun was out but it was about 36F, a little chilly. I was still pretty comfortable with a head sock and layered jackets, not too bad and nice to be out. Next year I plan on outfitting one of my bikes with a fairing.
Old 12-21-20, 01:24 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
I went out today on my v-rex for about 9 miles, sun was out but it was about 36F, a little chilly. I was still pretty comfortable with a head sock and layered jackets, not too bad and nice to be out. Next year I plan on outfitting one of my bikes with a fairing.
It's that cold air going in out of my lungs that burns... I don't venture out till it hits 50 degreesF. Yes, admitted cold wimp

Scubaquarius
Old 12-24-20, 06:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
You can spend as little or as much as you want on trainers. There are magnetic resistance units, fluid, even simple bands. I have a computerized one. I use it to interface with my i-Phone via bluetooth and use it with Zwift to do virtual rides. Zwift puts a first-person view on my TV screen and I ride around the course. When I go up hills or down, the trainer varies my resistance. There are other riders on the course, each one a real person connected and doing their own workouts. It's pretty cool, even though it's still indoors and I still have problems motivating myself to do it.

Most trainers won't work on small drive wheels. Those rollers would. I'm not sure how the resistance is on them, though.
Old 12-25-20, 10:05 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You can spend as little or as much as you want on trainers. There are magnetic resistance units, fluid, even simple bands. I have a computerized one. I use it to interface with my i-Phone via bluetooth and use it with Zwift to do virtual rides. Zwift puts a first-person view on my TV screen and I ride around the course. When I go up hills or down, the trainer varies my resistance. There are other riders on the course, each one a real person connected and doing their own workouts. It's pretty cool, even though it's still indoors and I still have problems motivating myself to do it.

Most trainers won't work on small drive wheels. Those rollers would. I'm not sure how the resistance is on them, though.
Thanks for the information.
Scubaquarius
Old 12-28-20, 09:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
It's that cold air going in out of my lungs that burns... I don't venture out till it hits 50 degreesF. Yes, admitted cold wimp

Scubaquarius
I wonder if it's just acclimation, or something else. I lived in west Texas for about a year, and I really struggled with the heat whereas the locals seemed fine. I felt like I couldn't breathe in that heat. OTOH where I was from originally in Indiana, riding in the single digits was fine if I was dressed well enough. I've wondered, but I don't have the answer.

Now I live in the PNW, where it doesn't get either as hot or as cold as either Indiana or Texas. It's just wet.

Cheers