Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano OT SP41 VS. SP41 Housing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 09:13 PM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Working on front derailleur need to install new housing. I looked up specs and figured out I need SP41 ok......can not find anywhere at a reasonable price. Can I use the OT SP41? From what I understand the only difference is the silicone lube already in the OT version.
Old 12-19-20, 09:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You can use whatever shift housing you want. SRAM, Jagwire, Shimano...doesn't matter.
Old 12-19-20, 09:46 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
OT SP41 is SP41.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn.../sis-sp41.html
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 12-20-20, 09:31 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclingarri
Working on front derailleur need to install new housing. I looked up specs and figured out I need SP41 ok......can not find anywhere at a reasonable price. Can I use the OT SP41? From what I understand the only difference is the silicone lube already in the OT version.
JensonUSA sells a 33' roll of SP41 (gray colored) for $18. They are somewhat local to you, I believe. I usually buy it by the roll, and never think I'd use it up, but somehow, I do.
Old 12-20-20, 09:37 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
JensonUSA sells a 33' roll of SP41 (gray colored) for $18. They are somewhat local to you, I believe. I usually buy it by the roll, and never think I'd use it up, but somehow, I do.
I do the same thing for either Shimano or Jagwire housing. Having a long roll allows you to cut the exact length needed for each housing run and encourages you to change the housing as needed and not try to get "one more season" out of the old stuff.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-20-20, 09:53 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I do the same thing for either Shimano or Jagwire housing. Having a long roll allows you to cut the exact length needed for each housing run and encourages you to change the housing as needed and not try to get "one more season" out of the old stuff.
And friends know I have rolls, and I've become the local "dealer" in brake and shift housing.
Old 12-20-20, 12:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
And friends know I have rolls, and I've become the local "dealer" in brake and shift housing.
That's the down-side of stocking up.