Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What type of wrenches?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What type of wrenches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 01:31 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What type of wrenches?

My sister want to learn to ride a bike. I have seen some YouTube videos that teach how to ride a bike without peddles. I have never remove the peddles from bike. Can use any wrench in my garage that purchased from a hardware store, or should I pick up a specific wrench at a bike shop to remove the peddles?
Old 12-26-20, 01:38 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
15mm open ender will do the trick just make sure you turn them the right way, drive side anti clockwise, non drive clockwise
Old 12-26-20, 02:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If the bikes is an old bike with a one-piece crank, then it may be 1/2 inch. Some pedals whether the more normal today 15 mm or 1/2" of times gone by don't allow a wrench of normal thicknesses to be used. Some pedals no longer have flats for a open end wrench and require a hex key from the back side, which screws up your idea about which way to rotate the wrench since you are now looking from the backside wanting the screw to go away from you.
Old 12-26-20, 06:21 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
15mm open ender will do the trick just make sure you turn them the right way, drive side anti clockwise, non drive clockwise
I just remember turn to the rear wheel to loosen, front wheel to tighten.
Likes For nel e nel:
Old 12-26-20, 08:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
My sister want to learn to ride a bike. I have seen some YouTube videos that teach how to ride a bike without peddles. I have never remove the peddles from bike. Can use any wrench in my garage that purchased from a hardware store, or should I pick up a specific wrench at a bike shop to remove the peddles?
Once you get the pedals off, be sure to lower the saddle a bit for her, so that her feet can reach the ground while she is seated. And have her start learning to balance by riding on grass.

PS: You sound like a good brother!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-26-20, 11:49 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by nel e nel
I just remember turn to the rear wheel to loosen, front wheel to tighten.
This only works when you imagine the wrench is at the 12:00 position.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 12-27-20, 09:00 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
The only issue you may encounter with a ‘normal’ wrench is that the flats may be too thick to fit on the flats of the pedal spindle depending on the design. If it’s an old wrench, you can grind them down to fit but that’s a decent amount of work even with a bench grinder (and I’m guessing you don’t just have one sitting nearby). If it can wait a few days, a proper pedal wrench will make your life much easier. If nothing else, it will be longer giving you more leverage for the inevitably over-tightened pedals you’ll encounter.

FWIW, both of my sons learned to coast on a Strider by age 2 and were pedaling on a two wheeler at age 3. I am a huge fan of the no-pedals technique and recommend it to anyone learning to ride a bike or even just reacquaint themselves with one.
Old 12-27-20, 09:27 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A REALLY good brother would just buy a dedicated push bike, LOL

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ho...ext=94021-0005
Old 12-27-20, 09:29 PM
Texboy

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The pedals are too tight to take these off. These are hard to unscrew. Any tips?
Old 12-27-20, 10:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
The pedals are too tight to take these off. These are hard to unscrew. Any tips?
Start lifting weights.
In a couple years.....
Or put a piece of pipe over the wrench to increase leverage.
How you position yourself in relation to the crank arm AND wrench orientation.
Try to have the force going straight down with the arms at 3 & 9 o'clock.
Hold the other crank arm with your other hand, pushing down.
Old 12-27-20, 11:19 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Essentially the same way as one teaches their daughters to remove the Lug Nuts on a car.......when teaching them how to change a car's tire.

Well, as you know the lug nuts on a car's wheel are typically tightened with an air-impact wrench when new tires are installed or when the tires are rotated....etc...
Heck, it can be a serious fight sometimes for a strong young man if they are simply just using their arm strength with the Lug Wrench(tire tool..)
....Well how an old person can do it , and how to teach a 16 year old daughter to easily do it......IS TO USE YOUR LEG POWER and stand-on the end of the car's lug wrench....................don't necessarily karate kick it like cranking an old motorcycle ...DON'T because if you kick it wrong....you can send the Wrench flying off and it can hit the car denting it, or could hit you or somebody nearby....not good...right.......thats why............................giving it the ol Chuck Norris kick will work, possibly faster, but with serious potential risk of flying wrench impact damage to you or somebody near you or something nearby.
Obviously, the longest handle wrench that you have that FITS the bike pedals will give you the greatest leverage, but you absolutely need the correct size or an adjustable Crescent Wrench that is also narrow enough to work. YOU DO NOT NEED A QUALITY WRENCH FOR BIKE PEDAL REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Any el-cheapo Chinese steel wrench from the likes of Harbor Freight, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Advance Auto, Northern Tool, WALMART, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, NAPA, Target, Kroger, or anywhere else that you can buy very inexpensive cheap wrenches & or adjustable small Crescent wrench. You don't need quality tools like Snap-On or old style Sears CRAFTSMAN, etc... You're not gonna use them enough to wear them out or break them , during the next thirty years..............yeah, they will rust and the horrible chrome plating will deteriorate but they will function decades from now. If you're a professional plumber or mechanical contractor/HVAC technician or Auto mechanic/SAE certified auto technician, then you'd need quality tools because they use them so often and their physical shape/contour matters as something as minor as shaping makes it easier/faster to work in tight spaces and makes for a better human hand grip and better comfort for the person's hand and arm. Time is money and speed and comfort are huge in the professional trades..............also tool breakage or/and marring/ruining a bolt head or nut or the fastener/part itself is a huge deal as it causes a major delay when that occurs...............also if nothing else and nothing breaks or ever goes wrong, just having more comfortable ( ergonomic) tools allows the professional to do the job slightly faster.........yeah maybe only minutes faster but over the period of a month, or a quarter, or a year's time, it does make a difference in profit and the best quality tools more than pay for themselves..................but for the average homeowner, one just really does not need fancy brand name quality wrenches............even if a minor hobbyist with old cars, old motorcycles, and old bicycles.
The $1 or so cheapie chrome steel china made wrench from the likes of Harbor Freight store, or direct from some ShenZhen based massive Chinese seller on e-bay is not gonna be any worse than the most expensive tool, as long as it is the size that fits. That $1 cheapie wrench will not last as long as a quality tool, but you aren't gonna do three thousand bicycles and other project uses with it during the next five years. You'll more than get your money's worth on the cheapie.

Another thing, don't worry about the cheapie tool.......for example, suppose that you need more LEVERAGE......you could if you have a suitable piece of scrap galvanized steel pipe or other steel pipe............place the pipe over the end of the wrench as an extender bar................you might have to fill space with something like inner tube wrap or duct tape etc to make the pipe fit the wrench snuggly enough..........................hey you can also bang/hit the end of a cheapie wrench to get certain jobs done...who the heck cares if the cheap wrench gets mucked up, as long as you accomplish your task.........so you modify or ruin a cheapie wrench............BFD (big f-en deal) as it only cost you a couple of bucks. MacGyver (the real one as played by Richard Dean Anderson) would likely approve! Remember that if things look really RUSTY & frozen with huge amounts of rust....you could try letting some Penetrating Oil attack it for a few days before trying to loosen it.