Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Wider rims on the track?

Old 02-15-21, 10:44 PM
duuuuuuuuuug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wider rims on the track?

So I'm building a fixed gear bike and it would be nice to know how well-suited to the velodrome it would be. Right now there are a lot of COVID-related restrictions for new riders at my local track, to the point that I couldn't finish my introductory sessions in the fall. Hopefully things open back up soon.

Anyway, in my mind track wheels have narrow rims+tires - is this based in reality? Any reason not to run H Plus Son Archetypes with 25mm tires? They have 17.5mm internal width, weigh 470g, are 23mm wide, and 25mm deep. I guess they do not have a deep, aerodynamic shape - any other considerations?
Old 02-16-21, 01:36 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
25mm tires are not very wide, but if you have an old-school frame you may run into clearance issues, especially with the fork. What kind of bike do you run?
Old 02-16-21, 07:22 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
There are some people who race for fun with plain old box section wheels and regular butted spokes.

If you lace your Archetypes with Aerolites or CX Rays and use 23mm tires then you’ll definitely have an aero advantage over those oldschool people.

Your frame might be stuck with 23mm tires though, not due to width, only due to outer circumference limits at the fork crown or seat stay bridge. The skinniest rim won’t make a 28mm fit in a frame like that. Likewise, a 23mm internal-width rim won’t make a 23mm tire not fit in that frame, it just won’t be structurally sound.
Old 02-16-21, 09:27 AM
duuuuuuuuuug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sounds like rim width will not be a big issue. I know the wheels will fit the frame as I have another one of these frames with an even wider rim and it fits fine. H Plus Son 'The Hydra' - 25mm external width, running 28mm tires.

The frame is an FBM Sword SQ from 2015. The tubing is straight gauge chromoly, so it'll be on the heavy side, and I have no idea how stiff it is. But right now the limit to my performance is me, not the bike's weight or stiffness.