Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Tried the Trek Verve+2 Ebike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Has Anyone Tried the Trek Verve+2 Ebike?

Old 03-10-21, 06:17 PM
  #1  
macadam
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has Anyone Tried the Trek Verve+2 Ebike?

I am looking for some insight into the pros and cons of the Trek Verve +2 Ebikes=, the 2021 edition. My understanding is that they are in short supply. So I don't want to jump hastily or wait until they are depleted. What recommendations do you have regarding this model?
macadam is offline  
Likes For macadam:
Old 03-10-21, 06:29 PM
  #2  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
Electricbikereview has an evaluation of the 2021 +3, but be careful since he (they) charge a fee to "review". Also, the forum has a TreK section in the Brand's threads.
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-11-21, 09:36 AM
  #3  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,695
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10500 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 483 Posts
My wife has one, it's a couple model years old now.

It's a well thought out ebike, she loves it.

Hers came with 45c tires with small knobs at the edge. They rubbed against the fenders. To my way of thinking, that was an odd mistake. I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. For my money, it's one of the best. It comes with a seat post shock absorber that works well until you hit a big bump and really need it. I replaced that with a Thudbuster.

Anyway... it's one of the better choices at that price. If you can afford to jump to a 3, that really floats my boat. One of the things people don't learn until after they buy, is that some companies don't stand behind their product. They go out of business, they can't afford to keep replacement parts in stock after the model stops production. Trek stands behind their stuff.
late is offline  
Likes For late:
Old 03-11-21, 05:42 PM
  #4  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Electricbikereview has an evaluation of the 2021 +3, but be careful since he (they) charge a fee to "review". Also, the forum has a TreK section in the Brand's threads.
Court is a really nice guy and I had the pleasure of spending a good amount of time with him a couple years ago. He is probably one of the most fair reviewers out there he doesn't generally talk bad about bikes and tries to find the good parts. He is also a very nice guy in general. He does do this for his job so yes it is tough to survive and travel with no money coming in but having talked with him and seen him do a review he isn't blinded by money, he gives bikes a fair shot.

If you go to his site it is not like the reviews change or the specs list change and one bike has no info and the other has a ton more info. They are all quite well done and if you are looking for a lot of reviews on a massive variety of bikes it is hard to beat EBR for the depth and breathe of his work.

That all being said you should always test ride the bike yourself along with some other bikes and find one that works best for you.

For the money the Verve 2+ is not a good buy the bottom of the line Bosch active line motor and a 400wh battery is not what I would expect as I could spend less and get more from say Gazelle like the Medeo T9 which gets me a better active line plus motor and similar other parts plus a keyed a like frame lock for less money. Or I get the better T10 Medeo and get a performance line motor and Deore 10 speed for less then the Verve 3+ which only has the active line plus motor and 9 speed and again no frame lock. Honestly the only Trek e-bike that I enjoyed was the Allant+ 9 but that seems like it is decent price wise as it is a carbon frame and fork with 625wh battery and performance line speed motor as well as XT 12 speed. However I would probably be looking at different bikes with different motors if I was looking carbon.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-11-21, 08:41 PM
  #5  
macadam
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I thank each person who took the time and care to respond to my post about the Trek Verve+2.

I am a returning member who is just getting back into this. While I wasn't looking immediately into the e-bike, I came to the conclusion that this type of bike really might be the answer. I want to begin cycling with my spouse. I think it will be a fun activity that we can do together and outside, in this COVID restricted environment. I realize I'm not the first one to think of this, but now that I am here, I wondered if I could benefit further from the expertise on this site. After reflecting on my first post, I go the answers I asked for. With that information, I can now be more specific as to the help I need. Here are my questions.

1. I wondering if there is a forum on this site that reviews specific makes and models. If there is, I have not been successful finding it. I'm asking if such information exists and where to find it.
2. Comparing Verve +2 and +3, I haven't been able to locate a side by side comparison of advantages and disadvantages of each.


Thank you for your patience.

Terrence
macadam is offline  
Likes For macadam:
Old 03-11-21, 11:02 PM
  #6  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
E

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Court is a really nice guy and I had the pleasure of spending a good amount of time with him a couple years ago. He is probably one of the most fair reviewers out there he doesn't generally talk bad about bikes and tries to find the good parts. He is also a very nice guy in general. He does do this for his job so yes it is tough to survive and travel with no money coming in but having talked with him and seen him do a review he isn't blinded by money, he gives bikes a fair shot.

If you go to his site it is not like the reviews change or the specs list change and one bike has no info and the other has a ton more info. They are all quite well done and if you are looking for a lot of reviews on a massive variety of bikes it is hard to beat EBR for the depth and breathe of his work.

That all being said you should always test ride the bike yourself along with some other bikes and find one that works best for you.

For the money the Verve 2+ is not a good buy the bottom of the line Bosch active line motor and a 400wh battery is not what I would expect as I could spend less and get more from say Gazelle like the Medeo T9 which gets me a better active line plus motor and similar other parts plus a keyed a like frame lock for less money. Or I get the better T10 Medeo and get a performance line motor and Deore 10 speed for less then the Verve 3+ which only has the active line plus motor and 9 speed and again no frame lock. Honestly the only Trek e-bike that I enjoyed was the Allant+ 9 but that seems like it is decent price wise as it is a carbon frame and fork with 625wh battery and performance line speed motor as well as XT 12 speed. However I would probably be looking at different bikes with different motors if I was looking carbon.
Guess your shop doesn't sell Trek!
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-12-21, 01:04 PM
  #7  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,695
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10500 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 483 Posts
The Verve 3 motor is 25% stronger, roughly. (Most motors are actually stronger than the rating, so power for most is not really an issue.). The battery jumps from 400 to 500, another 25% increase. The tires are better. My understanding is it's the same frame, at least that's what my dealer told me.

We went for a ride today, we got May weather, one day only. I was concerned when we bought it, but it's won me over.

I don't have a thing bad to say about Gazelle bikes. If you have a dealer in your area, by all means, test ride both. Until very recently, the closest Gazelle dealer was 100 miles away, Driving a 100 miles for a warranty issue didn't float my boat. But then I am not at all mechanically inclined. Some shops won't touch an ebike, others only work on the ones they sell. I haven't had a problem, but you might want to check first, ebikes occasionally have gnarly problems.

I wasn't at all sure I was going to get an ebike. I saw one on sale, tried it, and inside a minute of riding it, I was sold. There will likely be some small thing that will sway you one way or the other. I'm really jealous that Gazelles come with a good lightweight lock standard. That's kinda awesome.

Good luck, and please keep us apprised of your progress.
late is offline  
Old 03-13-21, 03:48 PM
  #8  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Guess your shop doesn't sell Trek!
No we don't sell Trek but my tune wouldn't really change much if we did. What Trek has to offer is a massive logo that people know. A bike that costs more and gives you less vs a bike that costs less and gives you more and also happens to be one of the oldest bike manufacturers still in business is a better deal. If they were the same price and almost the same features than maybe the Trek might get my vote in that instance but spending more for less usually doesn't unless the frame is super spectacular. Gazelle has been making their own bikes since 1905 and made their first electric bike in 1937 with help from fellow Dutchistian's Phillips (who in WW2 did save the lives of almost 400 Jewish folks which is cool side history completely irrelevant to what we are talking about here). Plus I will throw in that the Gazelle does come in a small size and comes with the 4AH charger vs the 2AH charger with the Trek. The biggest downside is the rack mounted battery but that is not a huge dealbreaker at that price point.

I personally have no interest in the active line motor in my area there are plenty of hills and the active line motor just didn't give the power that people wanted to get up the hills for the weights of the bikes they came on. The active line plus is not a huge step up but a decent amount to make it worthwhile.

I am curious if you are supportive of the Verve+ 2 over the Medeo T9, why? No judgement or hate or anything like that I am genuinely curious what you think the Trek would offer over the Gazelle?

Also just as of note I am not a huge fan of Gazelle, I know these posts have made it seem like that and certainly their new models are decent bikes (and certainly give the feel of listening to customers and shops feedback) but I have had my issues with them. I just thought they made a good comparison to the Trek model we are talking about.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-13-21, 04:16 PM
  #9  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
I'm not conversant about the particular bikes in question, but have owned Trek (pedal) bikes and found them to be marvelously designed and executed with superb customer service (even received correspondence from the Trek founder once). Also, I've ridden several Trek ebikes and was impressed by them (testing for a magazine), but the only OEM bike that I've purchased was a Haibike (long story). IMO, it's disingenuous for anyone in the bike industry to denigrate competitor's products. Also, IMO anyone who charges to test products should call them infomercials, not tests. The infomercials are fine for general information, but don't expect anything incisive.
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-13-21, 11:00 PM
  #10  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
I'm not conversant about the particular bikes in question, but have owned Trek (pedal) bikes and found them to be marvelously designed and executed with superb customer service (even received correspondence from the Trek founder once). Also, I've ridden several Trek ebikes and was impressed by them (testing for a magazine), but the only OEM bike that I've purchased was a Haibike (long story). IMO, it's disingenuous for anyone in the bike industry to denigrate competitor's products. Also, IMO anyone who charges to test products should call them infomercials, not tests. The infomercials are fine for general information, but don't expect anything incisive.
I currently own a 1985 Trek 520 and had a Trek rigid MTB at one point as well as a Trek BMX bike. At one point Trek made some excellent stuff and still do to a degree on some stuff but some of it is not worth what they are charging. I don't like stuff I sell as well in some cases. I look at bikes more honestly when I can. I don't do the dishonest thing because I have no need for that. If a bike is crap I will usually tell someone though usually in more decent terms.

So let's talk about the bikes in question then, because that was most of what I was talking about after Court. What was unfair about my comparison? The Trek does cost more and has fewer features or lower end components. What makes it better than a bike that has a better motor, a keyed alike frame lock amongst similar components. Why would someone pay more to get less?

In terms of Court yeah call them infomercials but find someone else who is doing as good of a review as him for e-bikes in that massive quantity. What would you want instead of Court that would be more fair and how would that person do it and sustain normal life without having to have other jobs or be on subsidies of some sort?
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-14-21, 07:57 AM
  #11  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
The bikes can be evaluated (and are) by periodicals like every other vehicle. My point about electricbikereview (which I've recommended that individuals read at times) is to be aware that the so-called-review is from someone that is getting paid to do it. You're correct about individual models; one company may appear to have better specifications than another for a given bike, so maybe the Verve 2+ isn't the best deal or maybe it is considering the value of Trek's (IMO) overall excellence, CS and proximity to the customer. Otherwise almost every bike would pale in comparison to what Bikes Direct has to offer (and, in general I wouldn't recommend them).
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-14-21, 10:23 PM
  #12  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
The bikes can be evaluated (and are) by periodicals like every other vehicle. My point about electricbikereview (which I've recommended that individuals read at times) is to be aware that the so-called-review is from someone that is getting paid to do it. You're correct about individual models; one company may appear to have better specifications than another for a given bike, so maybe the Verve 2+ isn't the best deal or maybe it is considering the value of Trek's (IMO) overall excellence, CS and proximity to the customer. Otherwise almost every bike would pale in comparison to what Bikes Direct has to offer (and, in general I wouldn't recommend them).
But BD is a different thing entirely. Plus Gazelle has great customer service and has really supported a lot of customers quite well. Not knocking Trek on that front they are just fine with all of that as well.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 03-17-21, 04:56 AM
  #13  
Bluesfrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
My Verve+2 has a recurring problem of dropping the chain. Then said chain gets jammed into the chain guard. Last Wednesday it happened again in an intersection as I took off under power. I eased over to the side but lost my balance and landed on my already injured right knee. I lost my cool a bit so the pain lasted longer with more intensity. It has been a week now so I think I can be a gentleman and call my LBS. This has been a thing for a year now with the chain, chainring replaced, and a chain guard added to the inside of the chainring. I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I let up slightly when I shift and the motor senses a shift and cuts the power momentarily. Good German engineering. But I still have the problem. Don't buy a Verve+2 until you think about this. I think the Verve+3 is perhaps a better buy. I did have to take the chain guard off to fix the problem. I don't wish that on anyone! Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Bluesfrog is offline  
Old 03-17-21, 05:27 AM
  #14  
ARider2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 61 Posts
I suspected a problem with my Bosch Active Line Plus equipped e-bike where the chain came off when others were riding it. Try as I may and after many miles I was unable to get the chain to come off. I don't know how some folks get the chain to derail. It happened twice with two different riders yet I cannot seem to repeat the problem. For now I am going with operator error because I cannot seem to repeat the problem. I am thinking some riders are pushing too hard on the pedals, or motor is doing the same, or the rider is pedaling too slowly when shifting and that is causing the problem.
ARider2 is offline  
Likes For ARider2:
Old 03-17-21, 08:12 AM
  #15  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog View Post
My Verve+2 has a recurring problem of dropping the chain. Then said chain gets jammed into the chain guard. Last Wednesday it happened again in an intersection as I took off under power. I eased over to the side but lost my balance and landed on my already injured right knee. I lost my cool a bit so the pain lasted longer with more intensity. It has been a week now so I think I can be a gentleman and call my LBS. This has been a thing for a year now with the chain, chainring replaced, and a chain guard added to the inside of the chainring. I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I let up slightly when I shift and the motor senses a shift and cuts the power momentarily. Good German engineering. But I still have the problem. Don't buy a Verve+2 until you think about this. I think the Verve+3 is perhaps a better buy. I did have to take the chain guard off to fix the problem. I don't wish that on anyone! Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Have you tried a narrow-wide chainring or is it a "special" bolt pattern. I would have Trek fix this permanently or inform the Consumer Products Safety Group about this since it's a real safety problem. My BBS02 hasn't ever lost its chain in almost six years of off road, but I've been using narrow-wire most of that time.
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-18-21, 03:39 PM
  #16  
Bluesfrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
The narrow-wide chain ring is the one Trek sent and my LBS installed at no cost to me. The new chain was needed as I hammered the pedals when I thought I had got the chain back on the ring. Didn't work! It was 0400 and dark. I was in a rush to get to work. I think I was downshifting at the time. That was only the first time. I'm ready to get my money back and do something myself. Like a BBSHD. On a frame of my choice. Any ideas here? Thanks and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Bluesfrog is offline  
Old 03-18-21, 07:19 PM
  #17  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
Procure a nice late 80's to mid-90's steel MTB and equip with a BBS02 or BBSHD @ 48 or 52V. Easy conversion and (for my wife and me) durable bike. Alternatively, use a road bike if that suits you better. Procure a 42T Lekkie chainring for a good chainline. I prefer 68 mm bottom brackets since it's possible to use the "jam" not to secure the one on the motor.
2old is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 04:53 PM
  #18  
Bluesfrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
If I outfit a bike myself, then I will find out if it is me that causes the chain to jump off. I don't know but I am ready to do just that if I can get anything reasonable out of the bike. It IS a used bike now. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Bluesfrog is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 11:01 PM
  #19  
MrCoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
No we don't sell Trek but my tune wouldn't really change much if we did. What Trek has to offer is a massive logo that people know. A bike that costs more and gives you less vs a bike that costs less and gives you more and also happens to be one of the oldest bike manufacturers still in business is a better deal. If they were the same price and almost the same features than maybe the Trek might get my vote in that instance but spending more for less usually doesn't unless the frame is super spectacular. Gazelle has been making their own bikes since 1905 and made their first electric bike in 1937 with help from fellow Dutchistian's Phillips (who in WW2 did save the lives of almost 400 Jewish folks which is cool side history completely irrelevant to what we are talking about here). Plus I will throw in that the Gazelle does come in a small size and comes with the 4AH charger vs the 2AH charger with the Trek. The biggest downside is the rack mounted battery but that is not a huge dealbreaker at that price point.

I personally have no interest in the active line motor in my area there are plenty of hills and the active line motor just didn't give the power that people wanted to get up the hills for the weights of the bikes they came on. The active line plus is not a huge step up but a decent amount to make it worthwhile.

I am curious if you are supportive of the Verve+ 2 over the Medeo T9, why? No judgement or hate or anything like that I am genuinely curious what you think the Trek would offer over the Gazelle?

Also just as of note I am not a huge fan of Gazelle, I know these posts have made it seem like that and certainly their new models are decent bikes (and certainly give the feel of listening to customers and shops feedback) but I have had my issues with them. I just thought they made a good comparison to the Trek model we are talking about.
I was looking at Gazelle's website, and their prices are the same, or even more than the price of a Trek. But fortunately, there is a dealer around my area. Now it will depend on what is available on the market. I know of one shop that has a used Trek Conduit+, which rides like a logging wagon and is an aging design that has been long discontinued, but no complaints from owners. The one in the shop doesn't have a blemish, except for some dust under the fenders from demo rides. The original owner traded it in for something higher up the food chain apparently. The other two available in my area are a couple Verve+ 2 electrics. The Verves ride a lot smoother than the 2 year old Conduit+, but the Conduit+ has more power and a better rear derailleur. I could spend the money, but it's looking like I may have to keep using the car instead. So, I'm a bit on the sidelines too. I just don't have $3,500.00 to spend.

How many folks here know about the ones with the rear drum motors from some of these outfits that have been around for 6 months or less?
MrCoffee is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 12:20 AM
  #20  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
If you're using the bike for commuting and don't have steep hills on the route, a hub system that is much more cost-efficient is an excellent alternative. There are many individuals here who have experience with them as well as linberl who has experience with friction drives.
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-27-21, 02:53 AM
  #21  
MrCoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
If you're using the bike for commuting and don't have steep hills on the route, a hub system that is much more cost-efficient is an excellent alternative. There are many individuals here who have experience with them as well as linberl who has experience with friction drives.
I'm also looking at an Aventon Pacer 500, which has a rear drum motor. I know it won't handle like these mid-drives, but I don't think I'm looking at this for fun or pleasure. It would mostly be for saving money, and hopefully preserving a parking space for my car. I don't think this is a very good reason to get back into bicycling, but it is what it is. You just can't store a motorcycle in an apartment.
MrCoffee is offline  
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-27-21, 08:42 AM
  #22  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
If it's any consolation, there are other good reasons to get into cycling which include, but are not limited to, exercise, being out in the fresh air and interacting with others more easily. Be aware it may be a challenge getting the bike into your abode depending on stairs etc.
2old is offline  
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-27-21, 07:00 PM
  #23  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
I was looking at Gazelle's website, and their prices are the same, or even more than the price of a Trek. But fortunately, there is a dealer around my area. Now it will depend on what is available on the market. I know of one shop that has a used Trek Conduit+, which rides like a logging wagon and is an aging design that has been long discontinued, but no complaints from owners. The one in the shop doesn't have a blemish, except for some dust under the fenders from demo rides. The original owner traded it in for something higher up the food chain apparently. The other two available in my area are a couple Verve+ 2 electrics. The Verves ride a lot smoother than the 2 year old Conduit+, but the Conduit+ has more power and a better rear derailleur. I could spend the money, but it's looking like I may have to keep using the car instead. So, I'm a bit on the sidelines too. I just don't have $3,500.00 to spend.

How many folks here know about the ones with the rear drum motors from some of these outfits that have been around for 6 months or less?



So no not more expensive less expensive for the Gazelle and some better parts. Yes there are more expensive Gazelles as well as more expensive Treks but I was talking purely for these two bikes since the OPs question was about that specific Trek. The hub drives aren't generally much more powerful aside from purely on paper but they are a lot less efficient so that power is kind of wasted. A good quality mid-drive will be way better. The Shimano mid drive Conduit+ isn't terrible but I am not super fond of their lower cost motors and really not a fan of the STePS system but haven't had a chance to try their MTB stuff just the hybrid/commuter stuff.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 10:06 PM
  #24  
MrCoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post



So no not more expensive less expensive for the Gazelle and some better parts. Yes there are more expensive Gazelles as well as more expensive Treks but I was talking purely for these two bikes since the OPs question was about that specific Trek. The hub drives aren't generally much more powerful aside from purely on paper but they are a lot less efficient so that power is kind of wasted. A good quality mid-drive will be way better. The Shimano mid drive Conduit+ isn't terrible but I am not super fond of their lower cost motors and really not a fan of the STePS system but haven't had a chance to try their MTB stuff just the hybrid/commuter stuff.
Yes, I saw and tested the Gazelle T9 Medeo. A couple years ago, it was listed at $1,999.00. And it just recently had the $500.00 jump in price and is now at $2,499.00. Another one I looked at, is the Magnum Ui6+, which was $1,699.00 last year and now sells for $1,899.00 if you can find one. The only dealer of both Magnum and Gazelle in my area only has one Ui6 left, and doesn't anticipate any more until a year later, maybe. The Gazelle did not feel as stable as the Trek. The trek feels like it's built like a tank. Both the Trek and Gazelle felt like they had similar power. The Magnum has more power than either of them, enabling me to climb a pretty good, steep hill at 17mph. The Gazelle could only produce 13mph in turbo mode. It's obvious that the difference in price reflects that the Magnum has a Das-Kit hub motor, while both the Trek and the Gazelle have Bosch. Anything with a Bosch mid-mount is going to cost considerably more, and sacrifice power. When I tested the Trek Verve+ 2, I had to push harder on the pedals than I did with the Magnum. Most definitely.
MrCoffee is offline  
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-28-21, 06:37 PM
  #25  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,830

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
Yes, I saw and tested the Gazelle T9 Medeo. A couple years ago, it was listed at $1,999.00. And it just recently had the $500.00 jump in price and is now at $2,499.00. Another one I looked at, is the Magnum Ui6+, which was $1,699.00 last year and now sells for $1,899.00 if you can find one. The only dealer of both Magnum and Gazelle in my area only has one Ui6 left, and doesn't anticipate any more until a year later, maybe. The Gazelle did not feel as stable as the Trek. The trek feels like it's built like a tank. Both the Trek and Gazelle felt like they had similar power. The Magnum has more power than either of them, enabling me to climb a pretty good, steep hill at 17mph. The Gazelle could only produce 13mph in turbo mode. It's obvious that the difference in price reflects that the Magnum has a Das-Kit hub motor, while both the Trek and the Gazelle have Bosch. Anything with a Bosch mid-mount is going to cost considerably more, and sacrifice power. When I tested the Trek Verve+ 2, I had to push harder on the pedals than I did with the Magnum. Most definitely.
Yes a Bosch motor is going to be more expensive but you get a lot more with it and is a very reliable bit of kit. I cannot remember the last time we had to replace a Bosch motor.

The Trek will certainly have the least power the Magnum might list itself as more power but a problem with the hub drives is the poor use of the power. On paper or pixels it has more power but with less efficiency you aren't really getting the best use of that power. Trek is potentially heavier but I don't have the numbers on both bikes and honestly at that point probably close to the same or not enough difference to really care.
veganbikes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.