Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting in the Rain Question (?)

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting in the Rain Question (?)

Old 05-06-21, 03:37 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I guess one of my greatest concerns as well is how riding in the rain will effect my bike. I take care of it because it cost me a lot of money. I'm not going to purposely head out to ride in the pouring rain, but no doubt this time of year I'm likely to get caught in a shower at least.
Old 05-06-21, 03:37 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I guess one of my greatest concerns as well is how riding in the rain will effect my bike. I take care of it because it cost me a lot of money. I'm not going to purposely head out to ride in the pouring rain, but no doubt this time of year I'm likely to get caught in a shower at least.
Old 05-06-21, 06:38 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I finally gave up and ride my bike in all weather. I bike to work, and no matter what, I’m out there riding. It takes time to get your clothing figured out so you know what to put on before you leave each morning.

I’m also not sure how to take care of my disc brakes when it rains. I kind of figured that if I brake a lot, they will self-dry due to the friction and heat.

The biggest thing I found is to bring a clean pair of socks. My socks always get wet.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 05-08-21, 12:40 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Shoes can tend to get soaked. When I commuted in Seattle I used to have a spare pair, along with dry socks, in the office.

My shoes never get wet due to these. Love them!

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/go...xoCebYQAvD_BwE

I also wanted to mention that J&G is a great company and they are located in the US and made in the US. Very happy with my J&G gortex raincoat and pants. Well made and you keep dry and still breath. Yes, if you are riding in heat and rain you will sweat more with any jacket on. Wish more people would support J&G instead of having everything shipped from China.
Old 05-09-21, 06:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
@h_curtis, what is the URL for J&G?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-09-21, 07:38 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by noglider
@h_curtis, what is the URL for J&G?
https://www.bicycleclothing.com

I highly recommend. Not sure why people buy from overseas, but I digress. I do have Gore booties, so I can't be too hypocritical.

Enjoy.
Old 05-09-21, 08:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
In my experience its practially impossible to stay dry when its raining. Sure, you can wear a rainjacket, but if its wet enough water will come from down below and soak you. I think less is more, when I commuted in the rain I would ride shirtless and have a change of clothes in a plastic bag tied to my bike. Feels actually great TBH much better than wet clothes. The worst was when I had to do delivery jobs in the rain and couldn't take my shirt off, there was literally no way for me to stay dry.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-11-21, 08:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
My shoes never get wet due to these. Love them!

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/go...xoCebYQAvD_BwE

I also wanted to mention that J&G is a great company and they are located in the US and made in the US. Very happy with my J&G gortex raincoat and pants. Well made and you keep dry and still breath. Yes, if you are riding in heat and rain you will sweat more with any jacket on. Wish more people would support J&G instead of having everything shipped from China.
I find it is easier to just wear waterproof shoes I use keens they are stiff enough. getting these on 13 size feet suck.
Old 05-11-21, 09:01 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I find it is easier to just wear waterproof shoes I use keens they are stiff enough. getting these on 13 size feet suck.

Well I am size 12, but I do get that 13 is different as things aren't made for 13 as much. 12 is top of a lot of things. That would suck. The thing about booties for those of us 12 and under is they are high up on the calf and can protect fully with rain pants. I can be totally dry. I have waterproof shoes and they do keep my feet dry, but rain can get in at the ankle area. Not with booties. One could just bring a change of shoes of course, but I am happy with my setup. There is no one answer, just styles. Enjoy.
Old 05-11-21, 09:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
Well I am size 12, but I do get that 13 is different as things aren't made for 13 as much. 12 is top of a lot of things. That would suck. The thing about booties for those of us 12 and under is they are high up on the calf and can protect fully with rain pants. I can be totally dry. I have waterproof shoes and they do keep my feet dry, but rain can get in at the ankle area. Not with booties. One could just bring a change of shoes of course, but I am happy with my setup. There is no one answer, just styles. Enjoy.
I had some that were taller but they rubbed my calfs. but my low shoes seldom actually get wet inside only if it is blowing hard or really poring. but I wanted something to slip on so I can change them easily.
Old 05-14-21, 01:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Many bikes have rubber seals on the wheel bearings. There’s also a tortuous path through the seal. They are not completely sealed, no rotating part can be, there’s always got to be some wiping going on. But it’s as good as it’s going to get.

I’m not sure why we don’t see some kind of gasket or boot on the seat post and maybe stem too, it would be cheap insurance given how often seats especially get stuck.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-03-21, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
if you're interested in head, neck & eye protection, I've been enjoying the features & benefits of this helmet cover, sporadically over the past few years
Taiga Cycle Helmet Rain Cover, Waterproof/breathable Cycling Hat

also very effective in wet snow

remember visibility can be greatly reduced for car drivers. I added reflective stripes to my rain jacket

I really like rain pants over waterproof shoes
Showers Pass Men's Waterproof Breathable Transit Cycling Pants

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-03-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 08:02 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
My Cleverhood rain cape has proven itself several times. I get less sweaty, and I am completely dry (except my feet). I just change shoes and socks at work and I’m back to normal. My shirt and pants are completely dry.

I even had someone honk at me the other day and give me a thumbs up. I’m sure I looked strange, but I was having fun on my commute!
Likes For Alligator:
Old 07-13-21, 08:14 PM
Guanto Hilario

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
Fenders or not your bike will get a lot dirtier with road grit and slime.
this is actually a really good point and I’m glad someone mentioned it. It’s super important to remember to clean and lube your drivetrain after getting caught out in the rain.
Likes For Guanto Hilario:
Old 08-31-21, 11:30 AM
AlfredoBinda

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the OP -
1) Install fenders, this will keep your bike and you drier and cleaner.
2) Ride with lights, even during the day, to be seen.
3) Depending on how warm you ride, how active you ride, and the outside temperatures, use a rain cape, jacket or simple vest to keep your torso and upper legs dry. Experiment here. Less is sometimes more.
4) Wash and dry your bike. A little care goes a long way.
Old 08-31-21, 02:49 PM
DavidR8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live In Victoria Canada and we're coming into rainy season.
Looking to get set up for rain commuting. In the summer I wear Ride Concepts shoes with flat pedals. Thinking about booties for rain but I don't see those working with flats as the pedal pins will chew them up.
So pondering a pair of Shimano MT3 shoes and EH500 pedals.
Wondering what other folks do for footwear in wet weather.
Old 09-01-21, 04:34 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I've found the GoreWear Shakedry range to be excellent and keeps me dry during my tours in very wet countries. My older Goretex gear lasted me about 7 years of water proofing before lamination and wear from use was beyond repair! A shoe cover is a must even for Goretex trail shoes. I've been biking in Melb during one of those famous hot summer day to cold weather days, riding from Toorak to the lakes in the South and being hit with a cold front rain storm and halfing the temperature from the afternoon! I usually carry the rain gear and a base merino wool layer in case of dropping temps. As for shoes, a Goretex MTB 2 bolt SPD allows for decent walking, but when I'm touring and will be walking a lot, I just use a stiff Goretex shoe on flat pedals, which will need a longer hem rain pants to go over the shoe collar.
Old 09-03-21, 01:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
There's a joyous freedom in giving up on trying to be dry in the rain and just regarding the ride as a two-wheeled swim.
I think if one lives where wet temps are not too low and can change clothing at destination then getting soaked is the way to go.