Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980s Harry Quinn road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 02:37 PM
straytom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1980s Harry Quinn road bike

Hello ladies and gents,

I've recently acquired a rather beautiful vintage road bike. Unfortunately I can't upload any photos as this is my first post, but it really is in great condition. The frame is a Harry Quinn, I believe the decal places it between 1981-85. The brandname and the crest at the front have been painted over but you can still see them in outline if you look closely, and I've been told that the lugs also suggest it's one of his.

The other specs are as follows:
- Triplex seatpost
- Campagnolo athena headset
- Campagnolo nuovo record levers
- Suntour sprint rear mech
- Suntour sprint front mech
- Suntour sprint chainset
- Suntour chain
- Modolo brake levers

My mechanic told me that if I were to replace the cheaper components and kit it out all with all Campag parts, it might be worth a fair bit. But he wouldn't put a price on it. Anyone here care to have a stab?
Old 05-31-21, 03:06 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
If you put the pic in the "Albums" part of your profile, someone can dig it out and post it for you.

The bike might be worth more with all Campy parts, but you couldn't recoup the cost of acquiring them with the final sale price, so don't bother. Parts mixes were fairly common back then, with thrifty young racers choosing the individual components for function and value rather than worrying about having a complete gruppo. If it's been repainted and it's missing decals, that might be the biggest thing driving down the price.
Old 05-31-21, 03:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by straytom
Hello ladies and gents,

I've recently acquired a rather beautiful vintage road bike. Unfortunately I can't upload any photos as this is my first post, but it really is in great condition. The frame is a Harry Quinn, I believe the decal places it between 1981-85. The brandname and the crest at the front have been painted over but you can still see them in outline if you look closely, and I've been told that the lugs also suggest it's one of his.

The other specs are as follows:
- Triplex seatpost
- Campagnolo athena headset
- Campagnolo nuovo record levers
- Suntour sprint rear mech
- Suntour sprint front mech
- Suntour sprint chainset
- Suntour chain
- Modolo brake levers

My mechanic told me that if I were to replace the cheaper components and kit it out all with all Campag parts, it might be worth a fair bit. But he wouldn't put a price on it. Anyone here care to have a stab?

sounds nice to me, what cheap parts is he talking about? Do you already own the Campagnolo parts to replace what he recommends taking off? If your not going to keep it I’d suggest overhauling it and passing it along as is.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 05-31-21 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-31-21, 03:55 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I wouldn't change the parts seems like whoever built the bike choose about the best parts from a function standpoint even know the Suntour sprint mech were not top of the line they are about the best working of the early 80's DR's. As for value can't really say for sure without pics since by description it may have paint issuei but I would guess it's in the $500 range if everything is good.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 06-01-21, 01:22 AM
straytom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are now pics in my albums, if someone could retrieve and post them for me that would be grand. Thanks.

Last edited by straytom; 06-01-21 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 01:27 AM
Jonboy71

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harry Quinn Bike for Restoration.

Just got hold of a Harry Quinn bike 1970s?
Mix of Campagnolo and Dura Shimano parts with different levels of condition and rust.
The frame is gold in colour but has a lot of surface rust that l cleaned off with some steal wool. Do I respray or leave as is and throw a lacquer on the frame with the mixed original frame showing through or just leave as is and buff with T Coat.

it needs a new saddle.The front facing screw to remove the handle bars is corroded so l may have to cut with a hacksaw to release.
The handle bar post us stuck and won't release after unscrewing and loosing the ball bearings.

The saddle post is badly corroded but usable. Most parts seem OK but have some rust. The brake horseshoes are fine but the main springs are rusted but seem firm.
Oracle Hubs and Mavic wheels.l think.

What tool do l use to release the crank shaft? Chain is gone.

All in all not in too bad of condition.

Any advice for restoration would be forthcoming and appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-22-21, 01:31 AM
Jonboy71

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got hold of a Harry Quinn bike 1970s?
Mix of Campagnolo and Dura Shimano parts with different levels of condition and rust.
The frame is gold in colour but has a lot of surface rust that l cleaned off with some steal wool. Do I respray or leave as is and throw a lacquer on the frame with the mixed original frame showing through or just leave as is and buff with T Coat.

it needs a new saddle.The front facing screw to remove the handle bars is corroded so l may have to cut with a hacksaw to release.
The handle bar post us stuck and won't release after unscrewing and loosing the ball bearings.

The saddle post is badly corroded but usable. Most parts seem OK but have some rust. The brake horseshoes are fine but the main springs are rusted but seem firm.
Oracle Hubs and Mavic wheels.l think.

What tool do l use to release the crank shaft? Chain is gone.

All in all not in too bad of condition.

Any advice for restoration would be forthcoming and appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-22-21, 01:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by straytom
There are now pics in my albums, if someone could retrieve and post them for me that would be grand. Thanks.
That would be this bike? Nice! Whatever its current value in your market, I don't think adding Campag parts would increase that value by as much as the parts would cost you.

Old 07-22-21, 04:21 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Suntour Sprint parts are nice ! -- Source some Suntour shifters for a more unified build rather than convert it to Campy

Pretty bike , even if it is a repaint