Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why screw-on versus circlip-style single-speed sprockets?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 11:04 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

A current thread where someone is debating modifying the gearing on a cruiser bike (by changing either the chainring or the sprocket) got me thinking. Why are threaded hubs the standard for single speed and track versus the hubs that take circlip-style single-speed sprockets?

Cheap 1/8" coaster-brake/circlip-style sprockets are available in a wider ranges of tooth counts than screw-on sprockets, and interchanging them requires only one non-specialized tool (e.g., a flat-blade screwdriver or the equivalent) and almost no effort versus the need for a lockring wrench, a chain tool, and lot of grunting.

I've been riding fixed-gear bikes since 1964, and I don't know why it never occurred to me before to question the logic of using screw-on sprockets that become progressively harder to remove the more you ride the bike. At nearly 70, I find that my arms and legs are weakening at nearly identical rates, such that I can still unscrew the sprocket, although just barely, but I wouldn't be averse to taking arm strength out of the equation.

I know that there are adapters available to install a slide-on sprocket plus spacers on a freehub, but there should be a high-quality fixed-gear (or single-speed) hub with the same mounting system.
Old 06-22-21, 02:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A current thread where someone is debating modifying the gearing on a cruiser bike (by changing either the chainring or the sprocket) got me thinking. Why are threaded hubs the standard for single speed and track versus the hubs that take circlip-style single-speed sprockets?

Cheap 1/8" coaster-brake/circlip-style sprockets are available in a wider ranges of tooth counts than screw-on sprockets, and interchanging them requires only one non-specialized tool (e.g., a flat-blade screwdriver or the equivalent) and almost no effort versus the need for a lockring wrench, a chain tool, and lot of grunting.

I've been riding fixed-gear bikes since 1964, and I don't know why it never occurred to me before to question the logic of using screw-on sprockets that become progressively harder to remove the more you ride the bike. At nearly 70, I find that my arms and legs are weakening at nearly identical rates, such that I can still unscrew the sprocket, although just barely, but I wouldn't be averse to taking arm strength out of the equation.

I know that there are adapters available to install a slide-on sprocket plus spacers on a freehub, but there should be a high-quality fixed-gear (or single-speed) hub with the same mounting system.

For singlespeed hubs with a screw-on freewheel, just put the FW tool in a vice (prongs facing up), lower the freehub onto the prongs, and turn the wheel like you're driving a bus. The wheel diameter gives you plenty of leverage to easily dislodge the FW.

For a fixed gear, I wouldn't trust a snap ring over a reverse-threaded lockring, especially if I was riding brakeless. I've seen too many coaster brake cogs develop play in them, and those snap rings are just cheap spring metal.

Breaking a threaded fixed cog free is usually just a matter of using a long enough lever.
Old 06-22-21, 03:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
White industries uses a spline style cog on their fixed gear and miche sells an adapter that you screw on that then takes splined cogs. If I start doing well enough to justify it I might build myself a set of the WI hubs to some light carbon rims for a faster wheelset, kinda like the idea of easy swapping.
Old 06-22-21, 03:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I think it is mostly tradition. Double-threading of track hubs for a sprocket and lockring is an archaic kludge. There are modern track hubs from White Industries, Halo, and possibly others that use a splined sprocket retained by a standard right-hand thread lockring.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-22-21, 07:25 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
For singlespeed hubs with a screw-on freewheel, just put the FW tool in a vice (prongs facing up), lower the freehub onto the prongs, and turn the wheel like you're driving a bus. The wheel diameter gives you plenty of leverage to easily dislodge the FW.

For a fixed gear, I wouldn't trust a snap ring over a reverse-threaded lockring, especially if I was riding brakeless. I've seen too many coaster brake cogs develop play in them, and those snap rings are just cheap spring metal.

Breaking a threaded fixed cog free is usually just a matter of using a long enough lever.
You can also just clamp the handle of the chainwhip in a bench vise, place the fixed cog in the chainwhip and turn the wheel. That's what I do when I can't remove a cog directly with the chainwhip.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie: