Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset upgrade under $600?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheelset upgrade under $600?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
Way too complicated for me. Choosing how many “drillings”?? What the heck is that? Am I choosing how many spokes the rim should have? Yikes.

is there not a site that says something to the effect of “yes…these wheels will work nicely with your 2020 Giant defy”? I don’t want to build and/or wait for wheels to be built.

I don’t know enough about hub bodies, bearings, number and/or strength of spokes, etc etc to build my own wheels.

In a perfect world I want to click on a set of wheels…..and have them ship within 24-48hours. Is that not a thing?
Just call prowheelbuilder and speak with them. They have a house build that will work fine for you. Yes you may need to discuss 'drillings', but dont worry because it isnt nearly as scary as you have made it to be. Just tell them your weight and intended use and they will figure it out.
You will wait a few weeks, but you will then have a handbuilt set of wheels that is set to proper tension.
Their house brand hubs are good, you can get quality jbend double butted spokes which makes servicing easy if its ever needed, and their house rim is good for what you want.

The Mason Hunt wheels are fine- its just some generic components and really ultimately depends on how well the components have been put together.
Old 07-21-21, 09:36 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just call prowheelbuilder and speak with them. They have a house build that will work fine for you. Yes you may need to discuss 'drillings', but dont worry because it isnt nearly as scary as you have made it to be. Just tell them your weight and intended use and they will figure it out.
You will wait a few weeks, but you will then have a handbuilt set of wheels that is set to proper tension.
Their house brand hubs are good, you can get quality jbend double butted spokes which makes servicing easy if its ever needed, and their house rim is good for what you want.

The Mason Hunt wheels are fine- its just some generic components and really ultimately depends on how well the components have been put together.
So are you saying that I’m likely to get a better set of wheels thru them for around the same price? Or am I likely going to end up spending more?
Old 07-21-21, 09:57 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
My OEM wheels work just fine, but I want a spare set of wheels regardless. I don’t want to find myself with a broken wheel and/or spokes….without a spare set of wheels to use.
Spending $1000 on wheels is def something I don’t want/need to do.
Having a spare wheelset is a fine idea. My point is that you shouldn't expect any noticeable upgrade (that word that's in your title) at your self-imposed price point. Nor will saving weight, which you emphasized, actually make any real difference. In terms of money better spent, you could probably find some take-offs on Craigslist for under $200.
​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 07-21-21, 10:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...Ive done a bunch of reading on the subject, but still don’t have a clear idea of what I need….
Wow... What allot of information in this thread, and great leads. My advice is to be selective and get what you want. I have wheel sets that are over 40 years old and still serviceable. So think of spreading that money out over the next decade of ridding and maybe that wheel set you want is not so expensive...
Old 07-21-21, 10:22 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by surak
Having a spare wheelset is a fine idea. My point is that you shouldn't expect any noticeable upgrade (that word that's in your title) at your self-imposed price point. Nor will saving weight, which you emphasized, actually make any real difference. In terms of money better spent, you could probably find some take-offs on Craigslist for under $200.
​​​
ya…you make a good point. I’d really hate to spend $600 and feel kinda “meh” about the new wheels.
Old 07-21-21, 10:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
So are you saying that I’m likely to get a better set of wheels thru them for around the same price? Or am I likely going to end up spending more?
I am not saying you will get a better set of wheels thru them vs Hunt or a Fulcrum option. Its possible you get a better set though. 'Better' is subjective as it means different things to each of us.
You should be able to spend under $500 at prowheelbuilder and get a disc wheelset that weighs about 1650g.

I suggested PWB as I have 2 sets of their wheels. I dont have fulcrum, so I wouldnt suggest them for that single reason of I dont have experience.

As for if you will notice 400g less weight...Yeah I think its reasonable to say that will be noticed on a wheelset. Will you be faster over 40mi because of that difference?...no. But I think itll be noticed at times. Who knows if you feel that difference is worthwhile in the end.
Old 07-21-21, 10:55 AM
GBK233

I am not saying you will get a better set of wheels thru them vs Hunt or a Fulcrum option. Its possible you get a better set though. 'Better' is subjective as it means different things to each of us.
You should be able to spend under $500 at prowheelbuilder and get a disc wheelset that weighs about 1650g.

I suggested PWB as I have 2 sets of their wheels. I dont have fulcrum, so I wouldnt suggest them for that single reason of I dont have experience.

As for if you will notice 400g less weight...Yeah I think its reasonable to say that will be noticed on a wheelset. Will you be faster over 40mi because of that difference?...no. But I think itll be noticed at times. Who knows if you feel that difference is worthwhile in the end.
I’ll contact them to see what they can build at a reasonable price.
Been perusing Facebook marketplace for take-offs etc….and ran across some DT Swiss C1850s and a set of DT Swiss R470s take-offs for $300.
Old 07-21-21, 11:15 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
ya…you make a good point. I’d really hate to spend $600 and feel kinda “meh” about the new wheels.
You are unlikely to get a "WOW!" feeling from any set of wheels.
Old 07-21-21, 02:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
About 3 yrs ago I bought Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs for under $600. That included tires as a part of the package. I bought 3 wheelsets. I don't know if you can still get that deal but I got mine at Competitive Cyclist.
Old 07-21-21, 06:21 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Another option is a custom wheel set from coloradocyclist.com.

If you select Shimano 105 hubs, there are several configurations for less than $600.

Old 07-21-21, 07:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I’d want to upgrade my Giant P-R2 disc wheels.
How heavy are these wheels?

Originally Posted by bruce19
About 3 yrs ago I bought Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs for under $600. That included tires as a part of the package. I bought 3 wheelsets. I don't know if you can still get that deal but I got mine at Competitive Cyclist.
At the end of 2017, I upgraded from the stock Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS (the predecessor to the tubeless UST version) for $475 with Mavic tires from Colorado Cyclist. According to their respective specifications that was a 300 g weight reduction, which I definitely felt.
Old 07-21-21, 07:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Try my 1080g 49mm Caden tubulars. Super light while being aero is pretty wow, and the non-textured brake tracks grab harder than ally, which is even more wow. Haven't ridden em in the wet though.
Old 07-22-21, 08:22 AM
GBK233

Found a set of brand new takeoffs off a Specialized Tarmac on FB.
DT Swiss r470. Shimano hubs. Seller wants $350.
These wheels any good?

Last edited by GBK233; 07-22-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 08:44 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
fwiw, I ordered a set with pretty basic DT Swiss hubs and rims and double-butted spokes from prowheelbuilder on 7/8. They anticipated having the wheels ready to ship on 8/8, but (the theory is) they're being delivered tomorrow, 7/23. $578.00. I forget what they weigh - maybe 1800g - but they're 28 spokes and I'm fine with a little extra weight in favor of something sturdy.

When specifying the parts, I got a notice if anything was on backorder, so it sounds like they had everything they needed when they started to build the wheels.
Old 07-22-21, 11:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Ha... This is true in his case because he is starting out with a pretty good set to begin with. There have been a few wheel sets I was glad to get rid of at replacement. Then again, when I DX a wheel set its a gonner...

Its always nice to have a wheel set you can go to when that inevitable wheel failure occurs. So if you do replace your wheel set ya know your old one is always there as a backup...

Also... I still have a hard time getting familiar with the cost of a wheel set being more than a few hundred USD, but that's just me...
Old 07-22-21, 01:24 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Just a comment about how a 1lbs difference in wheel weight is only 0.5% of system weight:

I fully agree on the physics, and how the lighter wheel won't necessarily make a huge impact on overall performance. However, going from my 2005 era Ksyrium Equipes (1700g claimed) to my 2019 Vision Team 30 discs (1920g claimed), I can definitely feel a big difference in initial acceleration. The shallower, lighter Ksyriums feel livelier and spin up faster. I'm pretty sure I'm faster on the bike with the Visions, but that by itself doesn't make them more 'fun.'

If you're planning on upgrading wheels, I'd add a bit to your budget and spring for entry level carbon wheels, which you can probably find in the $700-800 range. I'm thinking Hunt, Prime (on Chain Reaction Cycles), or some of the less expensive options at Light Bicycle Wheel. With carbon, you'll get both the ~1lbs weight reduction (if not a bit more), as well as a 30-35mm profile rim for aero. With even the best alloy wheels out there, you're looking at either lightweight _or_ aero. The biggest downside of carbon that I'm aware of is that they don't do well in wet weather braking, but it sounds like you're on disc brakes anyway, so that's moot.

I picked up a pair of Campy Zonda (rim) for a Cannondale build that I'm putting together. ~$400, reasonably lightweight (~1540 claimed, about 1740g actual with skewers, so a bit of a fudge there I think), and look slick with the tri-spoke design. Looking forward to completing the build and doing some direct comparisons on the same paths as my other bike.
Old 07-22-21, 02:27 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Not sure why the OP wants to get an "upgrade" wheel as a backup. A better plan might be to up the price to around $1000 and use them as the primary wheels and use the OEM wheels as the backup.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-22-21, 03:55 PM
Bulette

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
My OEM wheels work just fine, but I want a spare set of wheels regardless. I don’t want to find myself with a broken wheel and/or spokes….without a spare set of wheels to use.
Spending $1000 on wheels is def something I don’t want/need to do.
A spare wheelset is more useful when it includes a spare cassette, rotors, and tires. You can always add these things later, but I'd be budgeting for them now (if you weren't already).
Likes For Bulette:
Old 07-22-21, 06:42 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by aliasfox
a 30-35mm profile rim for aero.
I've read that anything under a 3:1 aspect ratio isn't worth a damn, which means you want at least 50mm for a 25mm tyre. That agrees with my experience; never noticed much of an aero boon on anything less.
Old 07-22-21, 08:35 PM
aliasfox

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I've read that anything under a 3:1 aspect ratio isn't worth a damn, which means you want at least 50mm for a 25mm tyre. That agrees with my experience; never noticed much of an aero boon on anything less.
So you’re saying a 30-35mm rim is the worst of both worlds? Heavier than a shallow 23mm and no more aero? Would love to see the source - not that I doubt you, but I would find it interesting.
Old 07-23-21, 03:39 PM
GBK233

Well, my search went sideways and I ended up finding a new set of takeoff DT Swiss R470 wheels that included tires….for $325.
Wheelset and tires came of a Specialized Aethos.

These are the specsT Swiss R470 rim, 20mm internal width, tubeless ready, 24h, Specialized full sealed bearing thru axle hub, centerlock disc, DT Swiss Champion 14G stainless steel spokes, DT Swiss brass nipples, XDR driver. Comes with tubeless valve stems and Tires are Specialized Turbo Pro, 60 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm.

The wheelset seems to get get pretty good reviews, so I’d imagine they’ll work just fine for me. They should be about 200+ grams lighter than my OEM P-R2s…so I’ll probably end up using them as my primary wheels. I ordered a set of center lock adapters since my OEM rotors are 6-bolt.
Now I’ll have some money leftover to find a decent set of of used rims for my Felt AR5. Those rims are 9 years old…and the spoke nipples are brittle and have had a few snap off. I’m def not going to put anymore time/effort into replacing spokes on the Felt wheels.
Old 07-23-21, 03:44 PM
aliasfox

Well, my search went sideways and I ended up finding a new set of takeoff DT Swiss R470 wheels that included tires….for $325.
Wheelset and tires came of a Specialized Aethos.

These are the specsT Swiss R470 rim, 20mm internal width, tubeless ready, 24h, Specialized full sealed bearing thru axle hub, centerlock disc, DT Swiss Champion 14G stainless steel spokes, DT Swiss brass nipples, XDR driver. Comes with tubeless valve stems and Tires are Specialized Turbo Pro, 60 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm.

The wheelset seems to get get pretty good reviews, so I’d imagine they’ll work just fine for me. They should be about 200+ grams lighter than my OEM P-R2s…so I’ll probably end up using them as my primary wheels. I ordered a set of center lock adapters since my OEM rotors are 6-bolt.
Now I’ll have some money leftover to find a decent set of of used rims for my Felt AR5. Those rims are 9 years old…and the spoke nipples are brittle and have had a few snap off. I’m def not going to put anymore time/effort into replacing spokes on the Felt wheels.
Nice find. Though if you're going to have backup wheels, I'd suggest you just get centerlock rotors for them (and a cassette while you're at it). That way, you don't have to futz with a bunch of things every time you change wheels. It would also give you the option of different gearing - have one cassette for hilly days (wide range), another for flat days (narrow range).
Old 07-23-21, 03:46 PM
GBK233

Nice find. Though if you're going to have backup wheels, I'd suggest you just get centerlock rotors for them (and a cassette while you're at it). That way, you don't have to futz with a bunch of things every time you change wheels. It would also give you the option of different gearing - have one cassette for hilly days (wide range), another for flat days (narrow range).

Crap….Just noticed the words “XDR driver” in the description. That’s SRAM, correct? Which means I now have to convert the wheel to Shimano correct? Smh.
Old 07-23-21, 04:45 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

So you’re saying a 30-35mm rim is the worst of both worlds? Heavier than a shallow 23mm and no more aero? Would love to see the source - not that I doubt you, but I would find it interesting.
It might be a tad more aero, but I think there's supposed to be quite a threshold at 3:1, like you can't get laminar flow around anything below that or something. IIRC truncated Kamm profiles are a way around that, but not really an option when it has to also work backwards with a round tyre.

I probably read it in Road Bike Action mag in the 90s, learnt a lot of stuff reading that.
Old 07-23-21, 05:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
It all depends on the shape of the reference shallow rim, of course, but a properly designed toroidal 30mm aero rim (e.g. in contrast to the old deep V shape) will post very substantial gains against a shallow, box section rim.

Flo Cycling did a lot of wind tunnel work, field testing, and CFD modeling to prove it, which you can read about HERE. Of course, all the serious wheel manufacturers design aero rims like that now as well, being concerned primarily with low yaw angles, so the science is well established now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.