Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heel bursitis

Old 07-22-21, 03:52 AM
cgoroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heel bursitis

I started skateboarding again in my mid 40s and developed about 3 months into it.

Is heal bursitis a common injury in (road bike) cycling?
Old 07-22-21, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Not to pick on your spelling, but you might want to ask a mod to correct it to "Heel" in the thread title. "Heal" means something completely different that would also make sense in the context of bursitis, and I was confused when I clicked on the thread

My understanding is people with that kind of bursitis often turn to the bike as a form of exercise that doesn't make it worse.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-22-21, 08:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
It’s appears to be common enough to have a few mentions during an internet search “cycling heel pain”, like this: https://heelthatpain.com/heel-pain/cycling/. Plantar fasciitis appears to be a bigger concern. Starting a sport or restarting can begin the spiral. Good luck

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-22-21, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It’s appears to be common enough to have a few mentions during an internet search “cycling heel pain”, like this: https://heelthatpain.com/heel-pain/cycling/. Plantar fasciitis appears to be a bigger concern. Starting a sport or restarting can begin the spiral. Good luck

That site says people with plantar fasciitis start cycling. I've been known to get PF once in a while, but one of the reasons I'm so into cycling is that I can ride for many hours in a day, and it never sets it off. I have ridden as much as 168 miles in a day without suffering any foot symptoms. My feet and ankles have always been terrible, which is why I've always been drawn to bicycling.

ETA--actually, I did mess up one of my ankles a bit when I briefly tried riding with toe clips in the 1970s. As a result, I have strictly ridden using platform pedals since then.

I do see people who use clipless complaining about "hot spots", which isn't anything I've ever experienced as a cyclist.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-22-21 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For livedarklions: