Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 03:09 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
I think there is a misunderstanding about the type of Birdy.

JRat had a Riese & Müller Birdy City, not a Pacific Cycles Birdy 9SP STD.

The Birdy City from Riese & Müller has a Shimano Nexus IGH and like all R&M Birdy it has a hollow crankset.

The 2019 TI Birdy has a totally different crankset, its a FSA SLK-Light with integrated axle. Its not possible to use spacers with this crankset.

And also, the Ti Birdy frame is totally different from the Birdy 3 frame. All frame dimensions are different, even the wheel base is different, its about 20mm smaller than the Birdy 3 wheel base (I have a R&M Birdy 3 Touring and a Pacific Cycles TI Birdy 2019 and compared the two frames).
Old 05-31-21, 03:20 AM
BabyCowHK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I think there is a misunderstanding about the type of Birdy.

JRat had a Riese & Müller Birdy City, not a Pacific Cycles Birdy 9SP STD.

The Birdy City from Riese & Müller has a Shimano Nexus IGH and like all R&M Birdy it has a hollow crankset.

The 2019 TI Birdy has a totally different crankset, its a FSA SLK-Light with integrated axle. Its not possible to use spacers with this crankset.

And also, the Ti Birdy frame is totally different from the Birdy 3 frame. All frame dimensions are different, even the wheel base is different, its about 20mm smaller than the Birdy 3 wheel base (I have a R&M Birdy 3 Touring and a Pacific Cycles TI Birdy 2019 and compared the two frames).
Good to know something new everyday. Thanks!

As for the Ti 2019. For those different things like the wheel base length and such, the drive chain system is basically the same. Same BB shell width, same rear wheel drop out width. Thus the chainline should be the same like any ordinary B3. And yet they chose that crankset that will cause the chain to scratch the FD. I can't take it as simply they are different so the problem happens on a premium bike.

What I wanted to say is, basically PC shouldn't have choosen that crankset from the beginning.

Last edited by BabyCowHK; 05-31-21 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-31-21, 04:05 AM
Jipe

They choose an high end race road crankset (which is almost the only high end component on this expensive high end bike) with the chainline of a race road bike but indeed they should have adapted the frame.

Now, the rest of the transmission isn't adapted to the small wheel size too.

The 11-28 cassette with the 52-36 chainring provide a too short gear inch. They should have mounted a 9-32 cassette like R&M does (or at least a 10-something cassette).

I haven't experienced the chain problem you mentioned because I immediately changed my wheels and have a rear wheel with a Hope RS4 hub with XDR freewheel and a 9-32 cassette and never need the very short 36 front - 32 rear combination.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 06-20-21, 08:21 AM
mu5k1pper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'd like to ask the experienced Birdy riders here, please.

I just got a used Birdy 2 this afternoon. It's got hubsmith wheelsets. I just noticed that the front wheel spokes are asymmetrical, dished like a rear-wheel like it was meant for the rear but put on the front. When I rode it, it seemed that the wheel isn't in the centre but slightly off centre. Is that normal?

I've been riding foldies for the last 15 years. Had Dahons, KHS, Bike Fridays, Speed One, and this is my first Birdy. I've never seen anything like it on any other foldie before.
Old 06-20-21, 11:53 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mu5k1pper
When I rode it, it seemed that the wheel isn't in the centre but slightly off centre. Is that normal?
That doesn't sound right to me!
Old 06-20-21, 01:15 PM
Jipe

I have Birdy front wheels laced with this Hubsmith front hub for Birdy disc the spokes are symmetrical and must be symmetrical to have the wheel centered (the front hub is specific for Birdy disc because the front disc is on the right side and closer to the center of the wheel than a standard disc front hub. Width is standard 100mm).

Birdy with rim brakes use a standard 100mm front hub.
Old 07-01-21, 08:08 AM
mu5k1pper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, for your response, yangmusa and jipe.

I can see it's centred but dished (and yet it seems to be riding off-centred). Perhaps its to accommodate a disc rotor.
Old 07-01-21, 08:08 AM
mu5k1pper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, jipe, for the link to the pic. My hubs don't look like that. And I don't seem to be able to find which hubsmith model it is .

I think I'd better find out which shop the previous owner brought it to and ask the mechanic there. Many thanks!
Old 07-01-21, 08:18 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Reminds me of a little sports car... Like a Mini Moris... Fun Fun Fun!
Old 07-16-21, 04:14 PM
Estuche

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe Blackjack size?

Anyone here has a Birdy with Blackjacks? I measured mine (freshly mounted) and they are 41mm wide, not 47mm as advertised. Just wondering if it's just mine?
Old 07-17-21, 03:13 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
I got a used MKII Birdy Light, whose 56T single chainring I'd like to replace with a double eg. 56/40T.

Using a Litepro derailleur and a B-series Litepro clamp, it look like the fork won't move far enough outward to reach the outer ring.

According to the datasheet, the bottom bracket is a 113mm, TH BB-7420ST.

On a Birdy (Light), has someone successfully replaced the single chainring with a double? What derailleur did you use, and did you have to replace the bottom bracket for a wider one?

Thank you.

--
Edit: Another issue is the seat slides down unless I tighten the clamp really hard. Cleaning the seatpost + inside with a clean rag and degreaser didn't help much. Any idea what I could try?
--
Edit: One more question: Using this crank puller, I was unable to remove the crank, with the Birdy Light supposedly using a 68x113mm TH Industries BB-7420ST bottom bracket.

Should I try harder, or are there different pullers to match different square taper bottom bracket axles?

--
Edit: It was the right puller. The cranck was just super tight.

Last edited by Winfried; 07-19-21 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 07:20 PM
Samidare

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am unsure about birdy 2 but birdy 3 uses a 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket.... So either can use a 24mm crank or a 30mm crank depending on the crank spindle.
There are a few options available out there.
Old 07-21-21, 07:26 PM
Samidare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the front wheel specs.... Let me see if i can find it for u
Old 07-21-21, 07:27 PM
Samidare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only Birdy disc front hub measurements I have is for the front dynamo hub. For the wheel set I made, I used Hubsmith Birdy disc front hub with straight pull spokes (I couldn't find the same front hub as mounted by Riese & Müller).

This by any chance what u are looking for ?
Old 07-21-21, 07:41 PM
Samidare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Wheels for Birdy Disc

I build a new set of wheels using an XDR compatible rear hub, a Hope RS4 135mm OLD 5mm quick release.

The rear wheel of the Birdy disc is standard 135mm OLD 5mm quick release.

I also build new front wheels because I changed the wheel size, I have now two sets of wheels with XDR hub, one in ETRTO349 (Brompton wheel size) and one in ETRTO406 20" wheel size.

The front wheel hub for a Birdy disc is a little bit more difficult because even if the 100mm OLD is standard, the disc mounting on the right side and closer to the center of the wheel than on a standard disc brake front wheel, so a specific Birdy disc front hub is needed.

Some rear hub have an exchangeable freewheel (its the case of the Hope) but none of the rear hubs mounted on the Birdy have that (excepted the Pacific Cycles 11SP Birdy with Hubsmith wheels).
Come on.... it not that hard to get a new set of wheels assuming you dun mind mismatch hubs.....
All you need is a birdy front disc hub which can be found here.....
https://www.cycletaiwan.com/circus-m...-disc-hub.html

For the rear you can choose any 135mm QR hubs out there..... Like DT Swiss 350 , White Industries etc.....
Old 07-21-21, 07:50 PM
Samidare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Birdy III with the H&H front block adapter and it didn't move down, even with the front bag heavily loaded.

Yes, please publish the video if you can or send me a message with a link to i if you cannot.

For the easy wheel, when i wrote "Brompton easy wheel" I was meaning any easy wheel for Brompton with a M6 bolt, not made/sold by Brompton.

The only limitation is if you want to put a rear pannier on the rear rack and have relatively big feet. Then to avoid to hit the pannier with the heels, you need to put the pannier very much to the rear, and easy wheels above 45mm in diameter do not allow to put the pannier at the rear end of the rear expedition rack.

Hi ,

Link as requested....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fiyp60u1vd311b/Test.mp4?dl=0
Old 07-21-21, 11:54 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Samidare
For the rear you can choose any 135mm QR hubs out there..... Like DT Swiss 350 , White Industries etc.....
It depends of what type of cassette you want to mount.

For a small wheel bike and without a bigger than usual chainring (60 or 65t that anyway isn't compatible with the new Birdy chain tensionner) a cassette with a smaller cog of 9t or 10t is needed (as mounted by R&M on the Birdy Touring).

The classic Shimano/SRAM freewheel body is limited to 11t as smallest cog.

R&M was using the now discontinued Shimano Capreo 9s system and is now using a Sunrace system (R&M use the 10s one, there is also a 11s)..

Another option that I have chosen is to use the SRAM XDR system.

Dropbox is not safe, can you post it somewhere else ?

For the Birdy disc front hub, there are indeed some options, also Hubsmith and Ridea but not easy to really buy.

Last edited by Jipe; 07-22-21 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 03:15 AM
Samidare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends of what type of cassette you want to mount.

For a small wheel bike and without a bigger than usual chainring (60 or 65t that anyway isn't compatible with the new Birdy chain tensionner) a cassette with a smaller cog of 9t or 10t is needed (as mounted by R&M on the Birdy Touring).

The classic Shimano/SRAM freewheel body is limited to 11t as smallest cog.

R&M was using the now discontinued Shimano Capreo 9s system and is now using a Sunrace system (R&M use the 10s one, there is also a 11s)..

Another option that I have chosen is to use the SRAM XDR system.

Dropbox is not safe, can you post it somewhere else ?

For the Birdy disc front hub, there are indeed some options, also Hubsmith and Ridea but not easy to really buy.
This work for you ?

Front disc hubs if u want to buy a set yes it will be expensive.... Hubsmith , Ridea , Bzwheels all have hubs that will work on birdy disc.
However i would recommend getting the front hub and rear hub separately as it is easier to source the rear hub from your local wheel builder then it is to buy the entire set and ship it.
Besides u only need the front hub which u can get online easily and if need be the bearings can be changed to match the rear ones.
However if u insist on matching the hubs then it will be expensive I must.

If you choose to go with SRAM XDR system then Ridea and BZWheels are out for now.... That means u only left with hubsmith.
Alternatively get the front hub online and u can get a better rear hub to build the customs wheels at almost the same costs..
Just Saying
Old 07-22-21, 03:55 AM
Jipe

I can buy Ridea and Hubsmith Birdy disc front hub separately.

For the rear hub, as said the problem is to have a freewheel body that accepts a smaller cog with less than 11t. Besides Sunrace and its proprietary body derived from the old Shimano Capreo, there are now SRAM with XD/XDR, Shimano Microspline and Campagnolo N3W

Thanks for the video.

But this Brompton front block adapter for Birdy is not the H&H adapter that I have, see picture below from the website of Bikegang (mine is slightly different from the first picture, it is like the second 3D drawing).

As you can see, the angle of the Brompton block is very different on the two adapters, on your it is much more vertical.

When I turn the fork, it also slightly pushes on the clip but not enough to unlock it and it only happen at a big fork angle that never happens when riding.

Old 07-30-21, 05:52 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
I'd like to install a double crankset on a Birdy Light from 2010 (ie. MK II).

But using the current 113mm bottom bracket, I fear the chain will rub against the frame when on the inner ring.

Has someone successfully done that upgrade, and could offer some feedback (bottom bracket, clamp, derailleur, double crankset)?

Thank you.

Old 07-30-21, 05:58 AM
valdukin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, so recently got my hands on a Birdy MK1. It was cheap and the frame still looks solid no cracks etc, just the seller neglected to tell me the free-hub is dead.

Turns out it is very hard to get a hold of 18inch wheels here in the UK. And finding a replacement hub seems next to impossible (20 year old part out of production I assume)

The Hub in question is a Shimano Nexave FH-T300 Silent Clutch
7 speed cassettes

Not sure what to do here, seems like a simple fix if you know what your doing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Can I use a different hub without wheel rebuild, any where I can find parts etc

Thanks
Old 08-01-21, 05:44 AM
Jipe

you should look on eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany there are often Birdy parts like wheels. Some sellers will ship to UK.

Example: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...53098-217-2865
Old 08-01-21, 01:46 PM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valdukin
Turns out it is very hard to get a hold of 18inch wheels here in the UK. And finding a replacement hub seems next to impossible (20 year old part out of production I assume)

The Hub in question is a Shimano Nexave FH-T300 Silent Clutch
I think that some of the people who sell Birdy bikes might have some spare parts although not listed on the internet. However, have you tried servicing the freehub? See, for example,
and
. If that doesn't work then ,if the rim is in good condition, one option is to build a new wheel using the old rim and a new hub. From what I've ready the Silent Clutch freewheel mechanism has been replaced by the standard (clicky) pawl and ratchet freewheel mechanism. What really matters is the distance between the drop-outs. Any hub of the right dimensions will fit the bike and this opens up the opportunity to fit, for example, a 9 speed cassette with a wider gearing range although a new derailleur and shifter will probably be required.

You've therefore got several options: (i) Attempt to service the freehub. (ii) Rebuild the back wheel yourself while keeping the 7 speed gearing;(iii) Rebuild the back wheel using a hub that accommodates a wider range cassette; (iv) Contact a business with known skills in maintaining bikes, preferably Birdys to see if they will do the work. A couple of possibilities are:
https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/about-us/
https://www.avonvalleycyclery.co.uk/
Old 08-01-21, 03:38 PM
Jipe

Pedalkraft has a lot of Birdy spare parts, maybe also old ones !

The rear hub is a standard 135mm OLD hub.
Old 08-04-21, 01:18 AM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
I'd like to install a double crankset on a Birdy Light from 2010 (ie. MK II).

But using the current 113mm bottom bracket, I fear the chain will rub against the frame when on the inner ring.

Has someone successfully done that upgrade, and could offer some feedback (bottom bracket, clamp, derailleur, double crankset)?

Thank you.
Are there spacers on your bottom bracket? If so, how are they arranged? These photos show that the Birdy Rohloff (white) has no spacer on the left side whereas the Birdy City (blue) with 9 speed derailleur has a spacer on the left side. Both bottom brackets are the same length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.