Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 11-14-15, 08:30 PM
Matt Gaunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLvector
IB2ndL
Amen! I rued the day I missed getting a post in this thread before the 1stL!
Old 11-14-15, 08:45 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Ibtb
Old 11-14-15, 09:33 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm not angry - if you're interpreting it as such, that's on you. As far as riding further to right.... no. This isn't the thread to teach you about sharing the lane vs taking the lane, though, so we'll end it here.
I yell at riders who play games with traffic and do stupid things. Mostly, it's to correct a dangerous situation before it turns ugly.

Just to get the thread back on track and give people more reason to be mad at me for yelling.
Old 11-15-15, 08:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by pinoy92231
I saw a group of about 15 riders today. They were riding in a tight group in the middle of a lane on a divided roadway (one lane in each direction). They did not yield to cars behind them and caused somewhat a congestion and caused several drivers to make a pass unsafely due to other cars coming the other way. Why ride in the middle of the lane when you have a perfect 3 foot shoulder to ride on?
Why post this and quote what I wrote about umd?

This belongs in A&S.
Old 11-15-15, 08:54 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pinoy92231
I saw a group of about 15 riders today. They were riding in a tight group in the middle of a lane on a divided roadway (one lane in each direction). They did not yield to cars behind them and caused somewhat a congestion and caused several drivers to make a pass unsafely due to other cars coming the other way. Why ride in the middle of the lane when you have a perfect 3 foot shoulder to ride on?
Motorists own cars, not the road.

If a cyclist feels there's danger on the right hand side, or feels cars are passing too closely, they have the right to use the full lane. Boohoo, some ****** in a camaro had to slow down for 30 seconds before he could pass safely...I feel so sorry about his inconvenience.

Old 11-15-15, 09:25 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I yell at riders who play games with traffic and do stupid things. Mostly, it's to correct a dangerous situation before it turns ugly.

Just to get the thread back on track and give people more reason to be mad at me for yelling.
That's the spirit.
Old 11-15-15, 10:05 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Man, I was at the gym the other day riding a stationary bike and some guy yelled at me. I just can't win.
Old 11-15-15, 10:15 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Man, I was at the gym the other day riding a stationary bike and some guy yelled at me. I just can't win.
When riding a stationary bike, be sure to stay to the right, up against the wall, and point out stains and tears in the carpeting.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-15-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 07:40 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts

Didn't Paul Simon wrote a song about you? "Still yelling after all these years."
Old 11-18-15, 12:43 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
He got banned, and his wife too. For awhile you could not even say "umd" it was censored.
Originally Posted by big john
He crashed at San Dimas road race and hurt his back. The ban on his name was lifted but he wasn't allowed to post. He is still riding but not racing anymore.
I rode with him a few times, at least until the road tilted upward and he rocketed away. Very nice man, too.
Why was he banned?
Old 11-18-15, 05:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Why was he banned?
I think there was drama over something that led him to make public a PM from one of the mods. It's been awhile so I don't recall details. Maybe someone with better memory can say.
Old 11-18-15, 08:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I think there was drama over something that led him to make public a PM from one of the mods.
Correct. I think later it was thought he was using his wife's screen name to post.
Old 11-18-15, 09:14 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Motorists own cars, not the road.

If a cyclist feels there's danger on the right hand side, or feels cars are passing too closely, they have the right to use the full lane. Boohoo, some ****** in a camaro had to slow down for 30 seconds before he could pass safely...I feel so sorry about his inconvenience.
Based upon the circumstance referenced it is a possibility that the group of cyclists in question took the lane and held the lane for no other reason than they were in a group. It may have had nothing to do with a potential and/or specific danger on the right.
I know from my own personal experience that a certain % of group cyclists seem to believe that the entire road belongs to them for no other reason than the tally of bikes in their group. This is wrong imo.
Not sure why you felt the need to mention a Camaro but either way you seem quite prejudiced on the matter.
Old 11-18-15, 09:26 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Based upon the circumstance referenced it is a possibility that the group of cyclists in question took the lane and held the lane for no other reason than they were in a group. It may have had nothing to do with a potential and/or specific danger on the right.
I know from my own personal experience that a certain % of group cyclists seem to believe that the entire road belongs to them for no other reason than the tally of bikes in their group. This is wrong imo.
How do you feel about slow moving trucks and school buses taking up a whole lane and slowing everyone else down? Is that wrong, too?
Old 11-18-15, 09:43 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
YES!
There already is one - on every car enthusiast forum I suspect.
Old 11-18-15, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Based upon the circumstances referenced, there was enough opposing traffic that would-be passers needed to wait to pass. If that's the case, the safest thing for the cyclists to do may very well have been to take the lane rather than encourage a squeeze-by.
Old 11-18-15, 10:05 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based upon the circumstances referenced, there was enough opposing traffic that would-be passers needed to wait to pass. If that's the case, the safest thing for the cyclists to do may very well have been to take the lane rather than encourage a squeeze-by.
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to the newbs.

Motorists will never understand/accept this, so it's understandable that new cyclists don't either.
Old 11-18-15, 10:26 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I may not be fast or skilled enough to ride in the op's paceline, but I just had to jump in on the tail of his long thread in admiration of its longevity. Hope I don't get shouted out!
Old 11-18-15, 10:43 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
This is by no means the tail. We've only just begun.
Old 11-18-15, 11:34 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I may not be fast or skilled enough to ride in the op's paceline, but I just had to jump in on the tail of his long thread in admiration of its longevity. Hope I don't get shouted out!
This is by no means the tail. We've only just begun.
But you will be required to take a pull eventually.
Old 11-18-15, 11:40 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I yell at dogs that chase me.

That is all.

... for now
Old 11-18-15, 11:45 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure why you felt the need to mention a Camaro but either way you seem quite prejudiced on the matter.
Because it always seems to be a moron in an american muscle car that revs their engine when they pass a guy on a bike. I don't have scientific data to back this up, but I could certainly start my own study and have results to you by Monday.

Ironically, when I drive, it always seems to be the morons in the american muscle cars that drive 5-10mph under the speed limit...they seem to make up for this by flooring it after every stop.

This.

Old 11-18-15, 12:39 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
How do you feel about slow moving trucks and school buses taking up a whole lane and slowing everyone else down? Is that wrong, too?
Not a great example.

Trucks and buses serve the public.

Cyclists serve themselves.
Old 11-18-15, 12:44 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Not a great example.

Trucks and buses serve the public.

Cyclists serve themselves.
Maybe the group of cyclists was riding to jury duty.
Old 11-18-15, 02:49 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You did not read the entire referenced post or you have comprehension issues. Which is it?
Because the last line in the referenced post states this: "Why ride in the middle of the lane when you have a perfect 3 foot shoulder to ride on?"
So what is your point again? Why do you feel would-be passers needed to wait when the person that was there clearly stated that there was a perfect shoulder to ride on lol?

It's ok though
There are always going to be biased and speshul cyclists that choose to ignore circumstances and facts and just whine about random camaro drivers and other motorists to whoever will listen right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.