Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electric Bikes vs Normal Bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 04:19 PM
annacaptur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

How different is it riding an electric one? Do you think it’s more dangerous to ride in the city?
Old 11-29-20, 04:48 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
In some respects it is safer. You can accelerate faster and better keep up with traffic. Can also choose longer routes with less traffic.

On the other hand you can go much faster than the average driver is used to, so you have to be aware.
Old 11-29-20, 05:00 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by annacaptur
How different is it riding an electric one? Do you think it’s more dangerous to ride in the city?
I have been cycling commute in NYC since 2014, 8-12 mile one-way, most of the time in congested NYC traffic among cars.
I am used to riding among cars in traffic, hopping onto the sidewalk or going against the flow on one-way streets, just to avoid crazy drivers.
I ride my e-bike not because I want a workout, just want to pedal to places without breaking a sweat and in need of a shower when I get there.
Sometimes, I carry a good amount of food that require refrigeration, (food donation to local homeless shelter) need to get to my destination quickly so the food doesn't spoil, e-bike helps me cut through NYC traffic, no worry about parking in NYC.
In COVID times, I don't want to be huffing & puffing when I'm riding if I don't need to be. E-bike makes it easier than regular pedal bike getting to the destination.
Old 11-29-20, 05:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's no more or less dangerous. If you read the manual and learn how to operate it properly, then you will be just as (or as little as) in danger as you are on a regular bike. Tools do not make you reckless, only you can do that.
Old 11-29-20, 11:37 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
A friend who works as a nurse in Canmore said they saw a lot more bicycle injuries this past season that they blamed on ebikes.
Most were just minor injuries, scrapes and such but a few broken bones. People are renting ebikes who haven't ridden much for the last twenty years and suddenly they can go faster
and they are not in control.

Just take it easy until you get used to it.
Old 11-30-20, 03:01 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It depends on the person riding it, and how they ride it. To some people, more speed makes it more dangerous. To a sensible rider, it does not have to be more dangerous.
Likes For alo:
Old 11-30-20, 09:02 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Nope. its about the same as riding any bike.

Originally Posted by skookum
A friend who works as a nurse in Canmore said they saw a lot more bicycle injuries this past season that they blamed on ebikes.
Most were just minor injuries, scrapes and such but a few broken bones. People are renting ebikes who haven't ridden much for the last twenty years and suddenly they can go faster
and they are not in control.

Just take it easy until you get used to it.
Knowing a few nurses. I kinda ignore all of their blame games. ebikes had nothing to do with more visits, people getting off the couch did. lol if they hadn't got hurt on a ebike it would have been a skate board, 4 wheeler, falling, whatever. For whatever reason Nurses like to blame the activity or object not the human.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 11-30-20, 11:40 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors, where you live (which country, which city), how much power and speed you have. Typically its gonna weigh a lot more. It may or may not be a lot faster.
Old 11-30-20, 01:13 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I think there is a bit of a learning curve to get used to the boost and quicker acceleration, and you are probably riding faster than before. But it's no big deal, just a matter of becoming aware of the difference. An ebike can get you into trouble quicker if you become careless or are not familiar with them as in an occasional rental situation.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 12-01-20, 12:03 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
For a total novice rider, yes. If you comparing an ebike to a path cruiser. The cruiser travels slightly above walking speed, meaning that you can react as a pedestrian. My ebike moves just as fast as a high-end racing bike. That makes my stopping distances much longer and requires that I'm more aware of my surrounding and how traffic is likely to move.
It also requires better technique for braking.

There's nothing unsafe about an ebike, it's just that things happen faster so you need more situational awareness. Practicing your bike handling skills is also very good.
In many ways, the added weight of the ebike allows for better emergency braking, especially with rear hub motors. But you got to have the confidence of knowing just how hard you can grab the front brake in an emergency, and how to shift your weight back.
Old 12-01-20, 12:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Nope. its about the same as riding any bike.

Knowing a few nurses. I kinda ignore all of their blame games. ebikes had nothing to do with more visits, people getting off the couch did. lol if they hadn't got hurt on a ebike it would have been a skate board, 4 wheeler, falling, whatever. For whatever reason Nurses like to blame the activity or object not the human.
Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't know that entire platoons of adults that had not touched a bike in decades are now bike commuting because they are scared to death of being on a bus or light rail train is just not paying attention. Some of those bikes are e-bikes because: it's all that was available or it's the only kind of bike someone who hasn't done any kind of exercise in 30 years, can ride. Any accident they get into will be more due to the fact that they haven't ridden ANY kind of bike since childhood than that the bike was electric.