Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Des Moines to ride multiple trails ?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 01:40 AM
tom306

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2017/Lemond Sarthe 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm hoping someone familiar with Des Moines area can help me out. I am looking to spend a few days in town riding some of the various trails. Can anyone recommend a hotel or even just an area that would have good access to several trails without having to drive to the trails ? I know a lot of trails connect, but I am hoping to do at least 3 different rides. Optimally, I'd find a hotel with a trail nearby that connected to others.

Last year I stayed off the highway in Ankeny and that didn't feel very rideable (I didn't have my bike for that trip). Some of the hotels in Johnston look like they may be fairly well located to the trails, but I am not familiar enough to be sure.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have !
Old 07-10-21, 04:44 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Just curious when you'll be visiting. If you want easy access, staying in downtown Des Moines would be your best bet. The Great Western Trail is located nearby that hooks onto other trails such as the Greenbelt and Raccoon River Trail though like every other roads in Des Moines now, there are major construction and detours throughout the city and trails are no exceptions. I live outside of Des Moines and bike commute to downtown Des Moines daily using the Great Western Trail. It has its pot holes and bumps like everything else but is shaded enough and is easily accessible for cyclists wanting to get away.

If you want to do some serious riding and don't mind racking up miles, the Raccoon River Valley Trail is rough 89 miles long starting in Waukee looping through 14 different towns and back. FYI, you'll need a trail pass to ride the RRVT and daily pass is only $1.00. For a scenic ride, check out the High Trestle Trail up in Ankeny. If you ride out in the evening hours, head up North to the famous lit-up High Trestle Bridge. Ride on!!!
Old 07-13-21, 09:28 PM
tom306

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2017/Lemond Sarthe 2005

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the information. As it turns out, when we were planning to be in the area it was being hit with a lot of rain and hail, so we ended up skipping the area and doing some riding around LaCrosse. I hope to get back to the Des Moines area soon, so will use your information then.