Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Screw road bikes, way too scary/dangerous..for me

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Screw road bikes, way too scary/dangerous..for me

Old 08-16-21, 01:46 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I belonged to a Los Angeles neighborhood FB group and they were discussing a transportation proposal (which seemed to have a vocal opposition) that would reduce car lanes, expand outdoor dining tables/seating due to the pandemic and create safety barricades for the bike lanes. When I mentioned that perhaps creating safety barricades for the bike lanes might be a good idea and businesses can tailor to the growing bike market especially if there was more outdoor seating (especially with increased e-bikes sales), it was met with scorn, with one person comparing the current bike boom to a fad similar to disco. What's sad is that our neighborhood is a main bike route corridor connecting east-to-west and there are weekly group bike rides coming through the area.

On a side note, ever since I started biking more, my gym strength training has benefited by becoming more lean, losing excess weight and even looking more chiseled. My skin feels healthier from sweating out toxins, getting exposure to fresh air and just enjoying the California sunshine!
It's frustrating in many parts of LA---it could be great for getting around on a bike. I'm over in Glendale--I find it very sketchy to ride in an urban capacity around here (which is why I head to the dirt). I'd love to use a bike in a more utilitarian fashion for errands and whatnot too, but there's almost never a safe place to lock up even a beater. So, I hop in the damn car to go run errands I could easily do by bike.
Funny, I was in NYC 2 weeks ago, and in some ways it's better there than in Los Angeles.
Old 08-16-21, 02:14 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Last night, I spent an inordinate amount of time with Google maps attempting to find a route to the grocery store, 12 miles away, that avoided a state highway, as I'd like to use my car even less. I didn't find one. I've ridden on less-travelled roads somewhat but mainly stick to multi-use paths.

I did ride on the state highways back in the early 90s and had some close calls, including being intentionally run off by guys in a pickup. (They turned around to come back at me). I've also known two people killed while riding. This is in Ohio.

I've been coal-rolled, too, and not even on my bike. Apparently a Mazda 3 is also too nerdy/sophisticated/whatever-sets-them-off? Odd thing is I went to the same primary and secondary schools as the local coal-rolling, angry-at-anything-not-understood folks, so how did I diverge so wildly?
Old 08-16-21, 02:20 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
It's frustrating in many parts of LA---it could be great for getting around on a bike. I'm over in Glendale--I find it very sketchy to ride in an urban capacity around here (which is why I head to the dirt). I'd love to use a bike in a more utilitarian fashion for errands and whatnot too, but there's almost never a safe place to lock up even a beater. So, I hop in the damn car to go run errands I could easily do by bike.
Funny, I was in NYC 2 weeks ago, and in some ways it's better there than in Los Angeles.
I agree as well; biking in LA has many challenges and is not conducive to reducing vehicular lanes; indeed, most people in LA want to increase car lanes so more cars can be driving!

Although Covid helped some people get more fit (like me), it made a lot more people gain weight (like 19 lbs) and even more reliant on cars to get around. I would love a valet for bikes (I'd even pay money for this) when I go to the grocery store or my gym. But, ALAS, this will never happen as Americans gain more weight and depend more on their cars, even electric ones.

Old 08-16-21, 05:20 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I made it a rule not to drive into Glendale mainly due to the sketchy driving. I'm waiting for the new walking/bike bridge being build in Glassell Park across the LA River to open up. That'll give me a straight shot into DTLA, Elysian Park and Griffith Park with very little to no car interaction. I want to explore more of Elysian mainly because they have lots of low key fire roads. As painful as it is to hill climb those roads, it's one of the car free areas in LA that's fairly safe for bicyclists. Honestly I think gravel bikes have a different purpose here in LA, not so much for the off-road experience, but mainly for the ability to hop a curb and not be the victim of a hit-n-run or random drive-by!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 08-16-21, 07:42 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I made it a rule not to drive into Glendale mainly due to the sketchy driving.
And guess what, here in Glendale our car insurance is higher than ANYWHERE ELSE in CA. It's like, the aggressive driver/rudeness capital of California. We're just biding our time until Junior graduates high school and we can get the f outta Glendeazy...
Old 08-16-21, 07:59 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
And guess what, here in Glendale our car insurance is higher than ANYWHERE ELSE in CA. It's like, the aggressive driver/rudeness capital of California. We're just biding our time until Junior graduates high school and we can get the f outta Glendeazy...
Wow. I had no idea Glendale was that bad. I guess I won't be riding there from Culver City...maybe to Pasadena (hopefully, that's better)...
Old 08-16-21, 11:35 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
Wow. I had no idea Glendale was that bad. I guess I won't be riding there from Culver City...maybe to Pasadena (hopefully, that's better)...
I regularly ride through Pasadena and I find drivers less aggressive. South Pasadena is also quite nice with spacious bike lanes. Only problem is that it's really hot right now. I look forward to my weekly night group rides just for the cooler temps. Also I wish LA had better bike lane infrastructure riding through the central interior.
Old 08-18-21, 06:57 AM
nblake1989

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a bike and never take it on the main road I own a fuji jari 2.5 gravel bike, side streets and side walks for me you think ima take my ass on the road in North america with people giving no respect to bikes ha no,
Old 08-18-21, 08:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by nblake1989
I bought a bike and never take it on the main road I own a fuji jari 2.5 gravel bike, side streets and side walks for me you think ima take my ass on the road in North america with people giving no respect to bikes ha no,
You are both misusing sidewalks and missing out on a lot of great scenery, but to each their own. Look into zwift maybe.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-18-21, 02:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Maybe not the best place for your ass while it's on a bike....
Old 08-18-21, 07:33 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Society has a people problem.

Sometimes it is people driving cars over cyclist, sometimes its people riding bicycles over pedestrians.

Where is the respect period?
Likes For Metieval: