Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPD Shoes for Road

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SPD Shoes for Road

Old 04-29-15, 08:34 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
SPD Shoes for Road

I'm looking at new shoes. I'm using Deore XT M780 pedals and currently my old Shimano mountain bike shoes that I had from way before I got my road bike. My main interest is in fitness, metrics, centuries, gran fondos, etc. I like the aspect of being able to walk in SPD shoes. Who knows what might happen and I might actually need to walk somewhere if I'm out riding a century, etc.

I'm noticing these Shimano SH-RT82 shoes SH-RT82 - ROAD - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO that lay claim to sort of bridging the gap between road shoes and mountain bike shoes having recessed cleats that you can actually walk on and a sole that is maybe not as heavy as mountain bike shoe soles. Are there others like this out there? I saw a Youtube video from Durianrider about some Specialized shoes like these that his girlfriend wears and loves.

Are there actually any mountain bike SPD shoes that could be superior to these that aren't astronomically expensive? I don't personally care if they have lugs on the soles or if they are slick if they might otherwise be superior in some way that makes sense.
Old 04-29-15, 08:52 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sidi Dracos here...but they are astronomically expensive.
Old 04-29-15, 08:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Sidi Dominators here. They're almost universal in the long distance community here. Yes they're expensive, but they'll last you at least 50,000 miles so the ROI is pretty good.
Old 04-29-15, 08:57 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Try a search on on this forum using the bottom on the top right? There are numerous threads about SPD shoes for road use.
Old 04-29-15, 09:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've had lots of great, comfortable SPD shoes.
Old 04-29-15, 09:22 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 04-29-15, 09:31 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
If you're happy with SPD, no reason to swap. Lots of folks never make the switch to road pedals.

That said, my knee problems went away when I went to Speedplay Zeros, and they're as easy to walk in as mountain shoes when I use the cafe covers. I understand the new cleats have a built in rubber cover, so they should be easy to walk in, too.

But the crux of the matter is that if you like your current pedals and you're not trying to shave grams off your bike's weight, then run what brung ya!

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 04-29-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 09:36 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use SPD pedals on all of my bikes -- road, touring and cyclocross. For shoes, I use Sidi Dominators and a Shimano model that has been discontinued but is similar to their current SH-MT44 model. Both of them work well for cycling, but the Shimanos are much better for walking.
Old 04-29-15, 10:10 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Giro Code MTB shoes with carbon bottom for my commuter bike, and they are as easily stiff as my Shimano road shoes with carbon bottom.
Old 04-29-15, 10:47 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I wouldn't claim superior, but I use the original (Black/neon) version of these, with Speedplays: Amazon.com: Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Road Fuel II Cycling Shoe: Shoes I had to have the opening trimmed to accommodate the Speedplay cleat. I prefer laces and now use these shoes for my road bikes as well. I can hear and feel the cleat slightly on hard surfaces, but generally they are very comfortable and quiet enough. Also, they are relatively rare in that they accommodate my wide foot.
Old 04-29-15, 11:08 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
If you're happy with SPD, no reason to swap. Lots of folks never make the switch to road pedals.

That said, my knee problems went away when I went to Speedplay Zeros, and they're as esy to walk in as mountain shoes when I use the cafe covers. I understand the new cleats have a built in ribber cover, so they should be easy to walk in, too.

But the crux of the matter is that if you like your current pedals and you're not trying to shave grams off yoru bike's weight, then run what brung ya!

BB

Speedplay is out with their new SYZR pedal that has a similar float adjustment on a pedal that will work with an SPD style shoe. I just got them and they look pretty nice. I too use Zeros on my road bike.

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS

My shoes are Sidi Dominators Mega (wide version) and I think they are great. I like having a stiff soled SPD shoe that gives similar performance to my road shoes but is walkable for those times when I would like the ability to easily walk. The Sidi's have pretty equivalent performance between road and mtb shoe.

J.
Old 04-29-15, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
I got Giro Code MTB shoes with carbon bottom for my commuter bike, and they are as easily stiff as my Shimano road shoes with carbon bottom.
I'm pretty sure that's what I've been using for the last couple years. They're as stiff as the two pairs of road shoes I just bought. Much easier to walk in. Never got hot spots riding in them.
Old 04-29-15, 11:13 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,489 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Sidi Dominators here. They're almost universal in the long distance community here. Yes they're expensive, but they'll last you at least 50,000 miles so the ROI is pretty good.
+1
I got lucky and found them on sale at Excel Sports a couple years ago.
Old 04-29-15, 11:20 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Speedplay is out with their new SYZR pedal that has a similar float adjustment on a pedal that will work with an SPD style shoe. I just got them and they look pretty nice. I too use Zeros on my road bike.

J.
I'm intrigued by those, but I want to see how they hold up over time.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-29-15, 11:39 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I'm intrigued by those, but I want to see how they hold up over time.
My thoughts too - but I needed the float given my crap knees from skiing injuries. After getting them, I'm not worried, they are quite sturdy and the cleats are substantial and well made. I don't anticipate any problems. I don't have a lot of miles on them, but they seem to engage/disengage flawlessly. They look pretty well done to me.

J.
Old 04-29-15, 02:01 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Shimano xc90 shoes and love them. Very stiff in the cleat area with 2 layers of carbon. Very comfortable and light. Vents in the toe box make for happy toes.
Old 04-29-15, 02:25 PM
cwar

Bikes: BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I would try as many shoes as you can and find what is comfortable. I tried almost every brand available locally and for my foot, the Shimano shoes work really well. I have a pair of SH-R260 for my bike with road pedals, but use SH-XC70 for my bike with SPD pedals. The SH-XC70 have stiff soles so they are great on the bike, but still a bit difficult to walk in, but much better than standard road shoes. I also use a pair of Pearl Izumi SPD (X-Alp Seek) shoes for commuting. They have softer soles and are almost like a regular sneaker for walking.
Old 04-29-15, 02:32 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
These are all way more expensive than what I was considering, but since it is being discussed - how do the Giro Code VR70 shoes compare to the Sidi Dominators? I sort of like the more understated looks of the Giro and they have a carbon fiber sole too, huh? This is supposedly a good thing? Maybe not so much for walking in them? Otherwise though, how do these two shoes compare if anyone has experience? I gather that Sidi is *the* shoe most people desire I guess? Are they really that much better than other brands?
Old 04-29-15, 02:35 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Originally Posted by cwar
Personally, I would try as many shoes as you can and find what is comfortable. I tried almost every brand available locally and for my foot, the Shimano shoes work really well. I have a pair of SH-R260 for my bike with road pedals, but use SH-XC70 for my bike with SPD pedals. The SH-XC70 have stiff soles so they are great on the bike, but still a bit difficult to walk in, but much better than standard road shoes. I also use a pair of Pearl Izumi SPD (X-Alp Seek) shoes for commuting. They have softer soles and are almost like a regular sneaker for walking.
Good post! Shoes are very personal and what works for one person may not even be close to another. Plus if someone walks a lot in shoes, that's even more important to personally try them off. While stiff soles are perfect for cycling, they can be a disaster walking for someone with high arches for example. Size is another thing. Feet swell with exercise and shoes that feel good on the bike may be way to snug walking in the middle of a ride. So it's importat to try them on and walk around as much as you can before buying.
Old 04-29-15, 02:44 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use giro road shoes with spd-sl pedals... but then again I do not do much walking when on the road bikes.
I have shimano shoes with spd pedals on my cross bike. I have never understood all the talk about walking in bicycle shoes, I did not get a bicycle to walk with.
Likes For obed7:
Old 04-29-15, 02:49 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You mean shoe dollars / mile. The ROI is still 0 unless you count ancillary benefits such as promoting good health. Then I'm with you, a big ROI.
Old 04-29-15, 03:09 PM
RocTurk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Shimano SH-R107 which is essentially a road shoe with partial carbon sole that allows both SPD and SPD-SL cleats. I couldn't find it cheaper than 150$ in the US but merlincycles in UK had it for 95$ with shipping included. It could be stressful ordering something from overseas (mine took 8 days to arrive) but if you know your size in a particular brand, there are cheaper options out there.

Btw, if you are picky about walking comfort this shoe is not good for that purpose, you are still a penguin but with SPD cleats. However, it is lightweight and has good ventilation for summer rides.
Old 04-29-15, 04:20 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
number one in importance is a recessed cleat shoe. then stiff enough sole to not bruise my foot (not easily determined until ridden hard for consecutive days, for me). then closure type. i like two velcro closures. then weight and finally price.

i've had good luck with shimano shoes, but am alternating between a Bontager model and my Sidi Dominators.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-29-15 at 04:24 PM.