Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 06:15 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Florida Keys

Who's biked the Florida Keys? How'd it go? Best time of year to do it? Any advice or recommendations?
Old 11-06-20, 06:20 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Check out Seth formerly from Seth's bike hacks and his buddy.

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-06-20, 08:30 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Here is our journal. A bit dated

Finetastic Adventure Atlantic Coast 2012, by Marti Fine
Old 11-07-20, 01:17 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Check out Seth formerly from Seth's bike hacks and his buddy.

Berm Peak biking to Key West
Originally Posted by debade
Thanks, fellas!
Old 11-07-20, 01:59 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Didn't bike it yet but the best time to go visit the Keys is the week before Christmas. Everyone is visiting family and traffic is very light. The week after it starts getting bust.
Old 11-07-20, 04:28 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I live about two hours north of Miami and organized a century ride from Key Largo to Key West for some friends and me in February 2018. We had a blast! I chose February because there aren't many organized rides I was interested in here in Florida in the dead of "winter." I also didn't want to do it between April- October when the heat would be hellacious. December is busy for the holidays and I'm busy January and March with professional obligations.

It went very well, but it was a few months after Hurricane Irma damaged the Keys. Overall, there was still some damage, but most of the infrastructure was back. We biked mostly on the street (and bike lanes), but we didn't use the bike paths too much-- at least I didn't seek out every one. There were bike paths we didn't use, considering we weren't touring. We were doing a one day century. One thing I remember was that Marathon Key seemed to be the most commercial but with no bike lanes. We had to ride the sidewalks with many side streets to cross. At the time, they were repaving the side streets, so it was rough. Thankfully that lasted only a few miles-- I think. The other thing that comes to mind is the Seven Mile Bridge. It's seven miles, with an adequate bike lane, a guardrail and then a far drop to the ocean. There will be trucks passing you at 50+ mph... I don't care what the speed limit is. Let's just say it was a butt-clenching experience. We met in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and drove to Key Largo. After the ride, we showered at a public park and changed in the van, drove back to Key Largo where we ate dinner. Then we drove back to Port St. Lucie and arrived at about 3 or 4 AM. It was a LONG DAY but so much fun.

That being said, I would do it again and would ask my friends if we didn't have the COVID concerns with cramming in a van for three hours to get to Key Largo and four to five hours back home.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 11-07-20, 06:02 PM
Supersixer2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode Marathon to Key West this year on the Sunday of Martin Luther weekend. Traffic was light and the shoulder on the 7mile bridge was wider than I was prepared for. I was fortunate to have a cross/tail wind. Rode solo. If riding into a headwind it would have been tough. There's no protection most of the ride. Great Pizza place in Marathon and stayed at Coconut Cay resort. One of employees was an avid cyclist and took time to talk about ride. Need lock if stopping along route for any extended stops.
Old 11-07-20, 06:25 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Jmpierce
Didn't bike it yet but the best time to go visit the Keys is the week before Christmas. Everyone is visiting family and traffic is very light. The week after it starts getting bust.
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I live about two hours north of Miami and organized a century ride from Key Largo to Key West for some friends and me in February 2018. We had a blast! I chose February because there aren't many organized rides I was interested in here in Florida in the dead of "winter." I also didn't want to do it between April- October when the heat would be hellacious. December is busy for the holidays and I'm busy January and March with professional obligations.

It went very well, but it was a few months after Hurricane Irma damaged the Keys. Overall, there was still some damage, but most of the infrastructure was back. We biked mostly on the street (and bike lanes), but we didn't use the bike paths too much-- at least I didn't seek out every one. There were bike paths we didn't use, considering we weren't touring. We were doing a one day century. One thing I remember was that Marathon Key seemed to be the most commercial but with no bike lanes. We had to ride the sidewalks with many side streets to cross. At the time, they were repaving the side streets, so it was rough. Thankfully that lasted only a few miles-- I think. The other thing that comes to mind is the Seven Mile Bridge. It's seven miles, with an adequate bike lane, a guardrail and then a far drop to the ocean. There will be trucks passing you at 50+ mph... I don't care what the speed limit is. Let's just say it was a butt-clenching experience. We met in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and drove to Key Largo. After the ride, we showered at a public park and changed in the van, drove back to Key Largo where we ate dinner. Then we drove back to Port St. Lucie and arrived at about 3 or 4 AM. It was a LONG DAY but so much fun.

That being said, I would do it again and would ask my friends if we didn't have the COVID concerns with cramming in a van for three hours to get to Key Largo and four to five hours back home.
Originally Posted by Supersixer2020
I rode Marathon to Key West this year on the Sunday of Martin Luther weekend. Traffic was light and the shoulder on the 7mile bridge was wider than I was prepared for. I was fortunate to have a cross/tail wind. Rode solo. If riding into a headwind it would have been tough. There's no protection most of the ride. Great Pizza place in Marathon and stayed at Coconut Cay resort. One of employees was an avid cyclist and took time to talk about ride. Need lock if stopping along route for any extended stops.
What time of the year is best for minimal wind? I believe someone told me either January or February some time ago, but I’m not sure.
Old 11-08-20, 01:42 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
one4smoke , have you checked out the Regional Discussion Forum's Southeast subforum?
Old 11-08-20, 07:31 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
What time of the year is best for minimal wind? I believe someone told me either January or February some time ago, but I’m not sure.
I'm not sure what time of year has minimal wind, but I do remember that the wind is more commonly coming out of the east in February. We did have a little tailwind which was nice.
Old 11-09-20, 09:15 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
If you come down from the north in the winter, plan on a couple of days of acclimatizing to the heat. Point to point or out and backs on the main road gets a little monotonous, but sight seeing in the neighborhoods on the bay and ocean sides is fun. Rain storms can pop up quick and really come down.