Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Bicycling from Midway Airport to downtown Chicago

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 10:19 PM
SanDiegoCyclist

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Trek 520, Waterford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In a few weeks, I am flying to Midway Airport with my bike, and plan to bicycle to downtown Chicago (Grant Park) to begin a bike tour of Route 66. I have two questions. First, is it "easy" to take the train from Midway to the Loop? The bike will be fully loaded with panniers on the front and back. I have taken local trains in Chicago, and my recollection, especially downtown, are steep stairs and turnstiles that would be it difficult to take a loaded bike through. Second question is what is a good route to cycle to the Loop? Google Maps suggest basically taking S. Archer most of the way. Anyone have any better suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-21, 04:58 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCyclist
In a few weeks, I am flying to Midway Airport with my bike, and plan to bicycle to downtown Chicago (Grant Park) to begin a bike tour of Route 66. I have two questions. First, is it "easy" to take the train from Midway to the Loop? The bike will be fully loaded with panniers on the front and back. I have taken local trains in Chicago, and my recollection, especially downtown, are steep stairs and turnstiles that would be it difficult to take a loaded bike through. Second question is what is a good route to cycle to the Loop? Google Maps suggest basically taking S. Archer most of the way. Anyone have any better suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Something I recently discovered.. Heatmaps on Strava
Old 05-21-21, 07:51 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Should be pretty easy. The Midway El station has wheelchair access as do most of the stations downtown. Get off at Washington/Wabash if you're going to Grant Park.
https://www.transitchicago.com/howto...ur-bike-train/
https://www.transitchicago.com/trave...bility-status/
Old 05-21-21, 09:09 AM
SanDiegoCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I had never seen this on Strava. I brought up the heatmap between Midway and the Loop. Clearly showed that Archer was the most used route. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-21, 09:10 AM
SanDiegoCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for sending links. I checked out the Washington/Wabash station. WOW! Brand new, clearly wide enough to maneuver cycles and elevator to street level. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-21, 04:18 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
If you're still in search of more information, and if you want a local's perspective, post your question on The ChainLink. It's a Chicago-centric cycling forum with plenty of local cyclists who may be able to help. They've helped me out with info / tips/ routes plenty of times.
Old 05-24-21, 10:02 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
How much of Rt. 66 do you plan on seeing / riding on? From Midway, you could head north or west to catch Rt. 66 and save yourself the trip downtown. Everyone's idea of what is interesting is a little different though; to me seeing the real "start" of Rt. 66 in downtown Chicago isn't high on the list. I think the road only starts getting interesting as you get close to (and beyond) Joliet.