Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ideal Rim Tape Width

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ideal Rim Tape Width

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 04:34 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Ideal Rim Tape Width

On my road bike, my rear wheel has occasionally flatted as a result of the rim tape coming loose. This was either the result of hitting objects the wrong way when I was riding but sometimes my tires rapidly deflated at random times when my bike was stored in my apartment. I was previously using 17 mm FSA tape. I've since gotten 18 mm rim tape. This has been somewhat better. However, I'm not sure if is the right size. When I was riding today, I hit an object and flatted shortly thereafter. When I took the tire off, the rim tape was loose in an area.

After my flat today, I've been doing some research. I know that it's possible that I could've flatted even with the ideal rim tape width as a result of how I hit the object. I also wanted to consider the possibility that my rear wheel still doesn't have the ideal rim tape width. On my road bike, my rear wheel has a DT Swiss R460 rim. The outer width is 23 mm and the inner width is 18 mm. With this information, what is the ideal width for rim tape for my rear wheel?
Old 07-03-21, 04:42 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
I don't have an answer for your queston, but two thoughts:
What size tires and what pressure are you running?
Kapton tape makes excellent rim tape- cheap, tough, thin and effective.Thin tape can make it easier to get tight-fitting tires on the rims.
Tires suddenly going flat at home can be a sign of a tube that was pinched at installation.
Old 07-03-21, 05:19 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
I don't have an answer for your queston, but two thoughts:
What size tires and what pressure are you running?
Kapton tape makes excellent rim tape- cheap, tough, thin and effective.Thin tape can make it easier to get tight-fitting tires on the rims.
Tires suddenly going flat at home can be a sign of a tube that was pinched at installation.
My rear tire is notoriously difficult to mount. I run a 700 x 25 Continental Grand Prix 4-Season in the rear. I'll have to take a look at Kapton tape.
Old 07-04-21, 06:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Not sure how hitting an object can causes rim tape to fail. Sounds like the tape is getting misplaced when you install the tire. Being thin kapton tape might give you additional clearance, but being thin also means it won't take much abuse and might rupture more easily.

You do know to position the tire bead in the center of the rim channel when putting it on? Might keep you from overmanipulating the bead against the rim strip.
Old 07-04-21, 07:06 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Just buy the good stuff and be done with it. Velox is adhesive-backed and definitely stays put. It comes in a variety of widths.

https://www.amazon.com/Velox-19MM-2M...g-goods&sr=1-2
Old 07-04-21, 08:46 AM
AMoney

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Just buy the good stuff and be done with it. Velox is adhesive-backed and definitely stays put. It comes in a variety of widths.

https://www.amazon.com/Velox-19MM-2M...g-goods&sr=1-2
Thanks for the recommendation. Would the 19mm rim tape be compatible with an 18 mm inner diameter. My rim is tubeless compatible but I run tubes. Would the wider width make it less likely for the tape to move?

Last edited by AMoney; 07-04-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 11:21 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
Thanks for the recommendation. Would the 19mm rim tape be compatible with an 18 mm inner diameter. My rim is tubeless compatible but I run tubes. Would the wider width make it less likely for the tape to move?
Velox tape is not going to move - it's a pretty strong adhesive. I can't recommend a width but you know what you've been using. All of my wheels have a center channel so I use what fits in the channel. If there's no channel and just a flat surface, I'd use whatever is the width of the rim without going up the sides. I keep spare rolls in a few different sizes. I change it out when I change my tires just for good measure, but it usually doesn't need it. Eventually the adhesive dries out and the strip comes loose, but that takes many, many years.
Old 07-05-21, 04:05 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
My 2c on the optimal rim-tape width.
Likes For Bike Gremlin: