Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge Explore mileage quirk

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-27-21, 06:20 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts

When my Explore is paired with an Ebike motor it records 2-3% more mileage as compared to when I use it on a non paired bike. I know that computers all have a degree of inaccuracies. But mine have all read the same regardless of bikes. This quirk with the pairing to an ebike has me befuddled. Not a big deal but I am very curious why.
Old 08-27-21, 10:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmins use GPS for speed and distance unless you have a wheel revolution sensor, which it considers more accurate. Your eBike probably has one, or something like it, and feeds that data into your Garmin?
Old 08-28-21, 03:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Maybe you go faster on the e-bike and swing wider on the turns, thereby going more distance. But if this is just a one off finding then go do another dozen rides on each bike then let us know the results.

Is this just gps distance? Or do some or all the bikes have a wheel speed sensor?
Old 08-28-21, 06:23 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Actually I have 10,000 miles on the ebike so it is more than going to wide in the turns. I think "Seattle Forrest" may have the answer. I have an Orbea Gain with an Ebikemotion X-35 motor. I have never been able to get their app to work as a bike computer. But it makes sense that the electronics in the controller is capable of measuring distance, etc. Which would account for mileage discrepancy.