Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Varia Audible Alert

Old 09-02-21, 09:43 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Varia Audible Alert

I have a RTL515 that I use with an Edge 830. The visual alert works well, but I can't hear the audible alert. The Edge allows you to select multiple or single tone beeps. I can barely hear the faint beeps when I select the feature in the house; I can't hear it at all on the bike.

I do use my iPhone with Garmin Connect. It allows me to get audible updates for speed and heartrate at specific intervals. I have these audible features broadcast to a neat little Noxgear blue tooth speaker clipped to my jersey. But I can't figure out any way to broadcast the Varia audible alert to my phone or other device. Anybody figured out a way to make the audible alert useful?

Mike
Old 09-03-21, 07:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I can't hear the little beep on my edge 530 either when on the road and riding. However I do hear the beep from my son's edge 1030 plus even when I'm a bike length or two away.

Similar to my edge 500, I feel that the beep tone of the edge 530 just doesn't have the frequencies in it that I can hear well. Evidently the 1030 plus does, or perhaps it is just louder.

It seems like one member here had their Varia connected to their hearing aid somehow. So there must be a way to get that notification. Maybe they will be along soon.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-03-21 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 08:05 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
the gamins vary a lot on volume. the 1030+ is nice and loud the explore is a fair amount quieter.
Old 09-03-21, 08:50 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I’m hearing challenged and I can not hear the alerts from my 1030 and never have…ever. I had to go to YouTube to hear what it is supposed to sound like. People around me can hear it but I can not.

OK. I downloaded the Varia app for my iPhone and I can usually hear it from my jersey pocket except in the windiest conditions.

Better yet, I can send iPhone tones directly to my hearing aids and that is best.

Old 09-03-21, 10:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have mine connected to my watch, so the watch vibrates when there's a car behind me. It's very noticeable.
Old 09-03-21, 10:32 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Ours sure is loud enough on my Wahoo Roam.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 09-03-21, 02:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
My Garmin 52 is loud enough for me to hear most times, except when going fast into a headwind. In fact it's loud enough I think riders ahead of me can probably hear it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-03-21, 04:44 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I've got mine connected to a Hammerhead Karoo 2 and, even though I've experienced some noticeable hearing loss at high frequencies, I have no trouble hearing the radar beeps at all. In fact, it's quite loud. I'd be interested to know how to sync it to my Apple Watch for vibration alerts.
Old 09-03-21, 08:39 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I have a RTL515 that I use with an Edge 830. The visual alert works well, but I can't hear the audible alert. The Edge allows you to select multiple or single tone beeps. I can barely hear the faint beeps when I select the feature in the house; I can't hear it at all on the bike.

I do use my iPhone with Garmin Connect. It allows me to get audible updates for speed and heartrate at specific intervals. I have these audible features broadcast to a neat little Noxgear blue tooth speaker clipped to my jersey. But I can't figure out any way to broadcast the Varia audible alert to my phone or other device. Anybody figured out a way to make the audible alert useful?

Mike
The RTL515 can also be connected to your phone via Bluetooth. I ride with Aftershokz bone conduction headset to listen to pod casts but you can also bring up the Varia app on your phone and hear the alerts then through your headset at whatever volume you want.

FWIW, I also have a Hammerhead Karoo (K2) which also has a stupid little beeper on board. That said, I pair it to a Noxgear 39G external speaker and it's *plenty* loud. On top of that, you also can get verbal turn by turn directions which is pretty awesome and a wonderful safety feature.

All of the bike computer designers who put those stupid little beepers in their computers deserved to be fired. They're a single click up from worthless. This, when we have very cheap loud speakers from the cell phone industry.
Old 09-03-21, 09:45 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
FWIW, I also have a Hammerhead Karoo (K2) which also has a stupid little beeper on board. That said, I pair it to a Noxgear 39G external speaker and it's *plenty* loud. On top of that, you also can get verbal turn by turn directions which is pretty awesome and a wonderful safety feature.

All of the bike computer designers who put those stupid little beepers in their computers deserved to be fired. They're a single click up from worthless. This, when we have very cheap loud speakers from the cell phone industry.
Sort of a surprising comment since one of the biggest complaints people had about the Karoo 1 is that it didn't have a speaker/beeper. And, as I said before in this thread, I have a bit of hearing loss (enough that I have to wear OTC hearing aids in some situations), and I can hear the Karoo 2 loud and clear (without my hearing aids). Maybe you don't have the volume on the K2 turned up enough?
Old 09-03-21, 10:01 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have mine connected to my watch, so the watch vibrates when there's a car behind me. It's very noticeable.
That’s an excellent idea. I’m half deaf in one ear but can still hear the beeps on the 530 90% of the time. Sometimes into the wind or downhill on gravel it’s hard to hear. I’m assuming you can connect the Varia to both the phone and watch?
Old 09-04-21, 10:59 AM
IcySwan1 

Thanks for the tips. I carry my phone in a jersey pocket with the Garmin Connect app open and the phone paired with the 830 Edge. It gives me audible speed and heartrate info, but there is no setting for the Varia radar audible to come through Garmin Connect. I do have the Varia App. I will try using it instead of Garmin Connect to see is the radar audible will broadcast to the Noxgear blue tooth speaker paired with the phone. Maybe I could pair the Noxgear speaker directly with the Edge, I don't know yet.

I am agreed with the sentiment that this should be much easier.

Mike
Old 09-04-21, 04:48 PM
IcySwan1 

Opened the Varia app and the aduble alerts played loud and clear through the Noxgear blue tooth speaker, And i got audible reports regarding speed and hear rate. I was using a new saddle (leather Selle Anatomica X1) and didn't focus on how the Garmin audible magic worked. It did work, though, and I probably won't mess with it to sort out the etiology of the magic.

Thanks, folks.

Mike
Old 09-04-21, 05:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Sort of a surprising comment since one of the biggest complaints people had about the Karoo 1 is that it didn't have a speaker/beeper. And, as I said before in this thread, I have a bit of hearing loss (enough that I have to wear OTC hearing aids in some situations), and I can hear the Karoo 2 loud and clear (without my hearing aids). Maybe you don't have the volume on the K2 turned up enough?
No, it’s turned up all the way.

I’m an electrical engineer and understanding the components available, it’s disappointing that all of the bike computer companies continue to use these crappy beepers when they could, at very low cost, use a real speaker. The K2s is another in that line. I can hear it, but in traffic it becomes tough (when you really need it). It’s also tough to differentiate alerts from Varia from navigation alerts. A speaker would give designers a lot better choices for the audio part of the UI.

With a speaker, the audio verbal turn by turn directions wouldn’t need an external speaker. That’s a huge missed opportunity in my book for a feature no other computer has. And for a feature which has huge positive safety impacts. Navigation prompts typical involve intersections and with a spoken cue one can often avoid looking at the computer and be paying attention to traffic at the intersection.

there are some really cheap high quality speakers available due to the cell phone industry and it’s high volume. Hammerhead and others should leverage that and get rid of this ancient budget beeper tech.

don’t get me wrong here - this is a nitpick on the K2 and, IMO and for what I do, it’s far and away the best choice in bike computers. With this beeper, the K2 is equal to other computers where I find it substantially better in most other things and I’m a fanboy.