Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 09:27 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trashman
Hello from Jefferson WI. 1/2 way between Madison and Milwaukee.

Ride often , Ride safe

Trash man.
I ride out of La Grange and the bike store there quite a bit....not far from you at all when I am based out of the Palmyra area. Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine provides some beautiful roads in our area....but ya gotta be able to stomach seeing a lot of corn!
Old 08-25-06, 09:49 AM
drissel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North of Columbus, OH and yes Dayton area has tons of rail/trails.
Old 08-25-06, 11:29 AM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Voted by Forbes mag as the 'drunkenest city in America'....That ain't water in our water bottles!
WOO HOOO!!!! Hey Wait!!! Is that something we're supposed to be proud of?

Milwaukee for me, lot's of riding on local trails/paths, commuting to work, waiting to afford a road bike again so I can join Hip and the others on occasional rides. Crank Daddy's is my shop of choice - See Andrew, he's a good guy!
Old 08-25-06, 01:40 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Sorry...I have had a rough week at home and found this forum late...

Elgin, IL - psuedo acting president of BFNIC (Bike Forums Northern Illinois Chapter). I have ridden with the following BF riders to date:

CyLowe97
Aham23
Jtm16(something - sorry Jim)
Kimbercop
Kenal0
53x12
TT_Vert
Signal11
Nothingman
...I apologize if I missed anyone

Will soon add Hipcycler and CPCyclist to the list as well.

I am in the middle of creating a "Lake Michigan" BF jersey and would be willign to open it up to "Great Lakes" if there is interest.

I am also organizing a local century, metric, and 30 miler for BF'rs to give everyone in the area an opportunity to ride together at least once.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Old 08-25-06, 06:27 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Sorry...I have had a rough week at home and found this forum late...

Elgin, IL - psuedo acting president of BFNIC (Bike Forums Northern Illinois Chapter). I have ridden with the following BF riders to date:

CyLowe97
Aham23
Jtm16(something - sorry Jim)
Kimbercop
Kenal0
53x12
TT_Vert
Signal11
Nothingman
...I apologize if I missed anyone

Will soon add Hipcycler and CPCyclist to the list as well.

I am in the middle of creating a "Lake Michigan" BF jersey and would be willign to open it up to "Great Lakes" if there is interest.

I am also organizing a local century, metric, and 30 miler for BF'rs to give everyone in the area an opportunity to ride together at least once.

Keep your eyes peeled.
Nothing Psuedo about it. With all that you are doing to further the greatness of BFNIC you are the acting President !
Old 08-26-06, 08:32 PM
High Cadence
Ride, baby...RIDE!

Bikes: Specialized, Bringheli, Bianchi, Trek, Rocky Mountain, Kona, Burley, Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sault Sainte Marie, Meeeeeeeeeechigan!
Old 08-26-06, 09:02 PM
cminter

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R-550,Cannondale tandem,Raleigh Pre, Fuji Discovery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mount Horeb, WI out west of Madison where all rides are hilly.
Old 08-27-06, 07:33 AM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
East of Cleveland on the Northern Tier route, where btw, construction should be completed for the Lake Shore Blvd bike lane, October '06.
Old 08-27-06, 07:37 AM
outashape

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Novi, Michgian. It is between Detroit and Lansing.

cminter: I've been to Mount Horeb and cycled on the route used for the Horribily Hilly Hundred. I paid for the ride one year and had trouble getting off work. But since the route is posted, I went there and stayed at a small motel and visited a cave nearby. I only cycled about 40 miles per day for two days. I don't think I could ride 100 miles of those glacier hills in one day.
Old 08-27-06, 07:52 AM
Cheezerod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mudskipper you have any good routes in A2? I am planning on riding out there this semster and I am having a hard time finding places where students are not in the way. any help?
Old 08-27-06, 09:38 AM
mudskipper99

Bikes: 2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezerod
Hey mudskipper you have any good routes in A2? I am planning on riding out there this semster and I am having a hard time finding places where students are not in the way. any help?
Hi Cheezerod, I think the nicest ride is along Huron River Dr., starting out on the North side of the city, heading N.W., out to Dexter. There is also a MUP following along the Huron River, and not following any streets at all. Just the river and trees. It goes from near the U of M medical center at the back of Mitchell Field, going through Gallup Park, and ends at another park I think, out past N. Dixboro Rd. Or did you mean routes for getting around the city?

Here is the city bike map:

https://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Commun...mages/bike.pdf

Last edited by mudskipper99; 08-27-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-27-06, 09:38 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beloit, Wisconsin, here. Center of the state right on the border of Illinois.
Old 08-27-06, 09:57 AM
Cheezerod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks that a big help. I will keep that map onhand for sure. maybe sometime we can ride together you never know. But I have to ask you do visit two wheel tango, right? I really love that shop.
Old 08-27-06, 12:43 PM
john wood
"the old one"

Bikes: Cannondale tandem,Bianchi road bike Raliegh mtn bike schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time,from Roseville,Mi.
Old 08-27-06, 01:21 PM
mudskipper99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezerod
Hey thanks that a big help. I will keep that map onhand for sure. maybe sometime we can ride together you never know. But I have to ask you do visit two wheel tango, right? I really love that shop.
Yeah, that Two Wheel Tango is a great shop. I only just started going in there this year. For years ive gone to Great Lakes Cycling.
Old 08-27-06, 04:00 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Crystal Lake, IL, 45 miles NW of Chicago. No organized rides with the BFNIC. I unfortunately have had no time. I am looking forward to 07.

I enjoy a good sense of humor, long walks on the beach at sunset and the occasional crushing of souls.
Old 08-27-06, 05:42 PM
cashew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live on the Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior. Lots of nice riding here.
Old 08-27-06, 09:24 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Old 08-27-06, 09:25 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I got my bike at two wheel tango. At least for now you can see the sticker on my avatar
Old 08-28-06, 12:51 AM
outashape

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheeserod and Mudskipper99 Check out aabts.org They have about 35 bicycle routes posted on their website. Most of the rides begin at Wheeler Park which is can be seen from Depot and 5th Street, close to Main Street. They have a ride down huron every saturday with about 70 riders of all different abilities, 13-over 20 mph). Last time I went there were plenty of college kids, although most of the older riders can kick their butt. My daughter went on a ride with the "old timers" when she was a student at Michigan. They posted a sentry on each turn so we would not be dropped. She was amazed at how fast the old geezers rode, but on Saturday they consider it a beginner's ride and someone will ride sweep. You can either ride to Dexter (20 miles total) out to Chelsea, Waterloo, or even further. Some people even do a double century (200) miles.
Old 08-28-06, 08:03 AM
mudskipper99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by outashape
Cheeserod and Mudskipper99 Check out aabts.org They have about 35 bicycle routes posted on their website. Most of the rides begin at Wheeler Park which is can be seen from Depot and 5th Street, close to Main Street. They have a ride down huron every saturday with about 70 riders of all different abilities, 13-over 20 mph). Last time I went there were plenty of college kids, although most of the older riders can kick their butt. My daughter went on a ride with the "old timers" when she was a student at Michigan. They posted a sentry on each turn so we would not be dropped. She was amazed at how fast the old geezers rode, but on Saturday they consider it a beginner's ride and someone will ride sweep. You can either ride to Dexter (20 miles total) out to Chelsea, Waterloo, or even further. Some people even do a double century (200) miles.
Hey thanks outashape. I didnt know about that. I have always just done rides by myself. Some Saturday I will try and get to that. I will have to take off from work for that though. Unfortunatly, I work Mon-Sat mornings. Uhg.

Hi kill.cactus, lots of folks from A2!
Old 08-28-06, 11:33 AM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm from Livonia, MI. I commute to work 4 times a week and do as much riding as I can in between. this area is not bike friendly. riding in the street around here is considered a crime by most. even the local law enforcement officers seem to have issues with it. I may not be able to change this by myself, but who knows. luckily I work midnights so at least my ride to work is semi un-eventful. I do most of my pleasure riding in the local neighborhoods, on hines drive, the I-275 bike path, and a few local parks. I'm considering checking out mayberry state park since it's close and I already have a state parks pass.
Old 08-28-06, 12:38 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by StokerPoker
I'm from Livonia, MI. I commute to work 4 times a week and do as much riding as I can in between. this area is not bike friendly. riding in the street around here is considered a crime by most. even the local law enforcement officers seem to have issues with it. I may not be able to change this by myself, but who knows. luckily I work midnights so at least my ride to work is semi un-eventful. I do most of my pleasure riding in the local neighborhoods, on hines drive, the I-275 bike path, and a few local parks. I'm considering checking out mayberry state park since it's close and I already have a state parks pass.
I lived in the area about 3 years ago for 4-5 months. I lived off Hagerty just South of Ford. We have a plant on Plymouth road just South of 5-mile (across from the Unisys building). Still debating whether or not I'm going to make it to their annual golf outing that's coming up. We play a course out on N. Terrtorial out past Fox's Den, close to Ann Arbor. Rolling Meadows.

I know what you mean about not being bike friendly. I really didn't get out much when I was there. I rode the 275 path a little, but that was pretty much it. I'll have to drop you a line if I make it back up there for business and have my bike with me...

Old 08-28-06, 12:42 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by iab
Crystal Lake, IL, 45 miles NW of Chicago. No organized rides with the BFNIC. I unfortunately have had no time. I am looking forward to 07.

I enjoy a good sense of humor, long walks on the beach at sunset and the occasional crushing of souls.
I am setting up our own BFNIC ride for the weekend of Sept 23-24th. It will start out of Hampshire and include a 31-62-100 route options. Look forward to seeing you there!

Old 08-28-06, 04:09 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I lived in the area about 3 years ago for 4-5 months. I lived off Hagerty just South of Ford. We have a plant on Plymouth road just South of 5-mile (across from the Unisys building). Still debating whether or not I'm going to make it to their annual golf outing that's coming up. We play a course out on N. Terrtorial out past Fox's Den, close to Ann Arbor. Rolling Meadows.

I know what you mean about not being bike friendly. I really didn't get out much when I was there. I rode the 275 path a little, but that was pretty much it. I'll have to drop you a line if I make it back up there for business and have my bike with me...
sounds good. I must say though, that the path has kinda gone to crap the pavement is torn up and it's overgrown in places...needs more use!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.