Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The importance of bicycle weight for the fifty plus

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The importance of bicycle weight for the fifty plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 09:12 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
For comparison, look at stack and reach of frames to see how they might fit. Most geometry charts include these numbers and I think it can be more accurate than just top tube/head tube.

Also, you say your bike has a 160mm headtube. Are you using spacers under the stem? If not, a 130mm headtube could be fitted with spacers to achieve the same height.

Then again, if the stack is 30mm greater on the frame with the shorter headtube the height will be the same. Check the stack.
The stack on the Giant TCR comes out as 18mm lower and the reach 10mm longer.
hsea17
Old 02-22-23, 09:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by hsea17
The stack on the Giant TCR comes out as 18mm lower and the reach 10mm longer.
hsea17
Compared to a Domane? That is significant. I think Trek has some of the highest stack and headtube dimensions in endurance bike geometry. A TCR is certainly more race oriented than a Domane. A BMC Roadmachine has similar numbers as the Domane, iirc.
Old 02-22-23, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Tri bikes are normally heavier than road bikes, especially road bikes built for climbing. Many triathlons have no climbing.
I was just checking some of the published bike weights from Scott, once the leader in lightweight bikes.

Their top end tri bike: 9.62 kg
Their top end aero bike: 7.22 kg
Their top end lightweight bike: 6.7 kg

My 12 year old Scott (with some component swaps): 6.3 kg

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-22-23, 12:10 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Tri bikes are normally heavier than road bikes, especially road bikes built for climbing. Many triathlons have no climbing. Most triathlons don't allow drafting.

The UCI weight limit for road race bikes is 6.8kg, or 15 pounds. Nearly all bikes at UCI governed events will be 6.8kg, although some are indeed a bit heavier these days with aero considerations, discs, etc.

Of course, you can buy a production bike in the 15 pound range or even lower. Just takes $$$.

For someone like me, 200+pounds who bashes around on bad pavement for 1000s of miles, super light stuff won't work.
yeah, I know all of that. But it also says the OPs bike is in the range of a reasonable bike weight. Unless of course, he’s a world class triathlete or World Tour rider….
Old 02-22-23, 01:37 PM
big john

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
yeah, I know all of that. But it also says the OPs bike is in the range of a reasonable bike weight. Unless of course, he’s a world class triathlete or World Tour rider….
He knows and several of us have said our bikes are close to the weight of his old bike or even heavier. The point is, for whatever reason, he wants a lighter bike. If that's what he wants, I'm fine with it.
Old 02-22-23, 06:13 PM
hsea17

Compared to a Domane? That is significant. I think Trek has some of the highest stack and headtube dimensions in endurance bike geometry. A TCR is certainly more race oriented than a Domane. A BMC Roadmachine has similar numbers as the Domane, iirc.
No, it's for my current bike. Trek Domane SL 6 has + 30mm stack and - 14mm reach vs Giant Tcr Adv.
Compare: 2022 Giant Bicycles TCR Advanced TCR Advanced 2 Pro Compact M vs 2021 Trek Bikes Domane SL 6 54 - Bike Insights
Old 02-22-23, 06:25 PM
JohnJ80

He knows and several of us have said our bikes are close to the weight of his old bike or even heavier. The point is, for whatever reason, he wants a lighter bike. If that's what he wants, I'm fine with it.
Thank you for moderating the thread.. I'm sure he's thrilled that you're fine with it. Phew.
Old 02-22-23, 06:29 PM
big john

Originally Posted by hsea17
No, it's for my current bike. Trek Domane SL 6 has + 30mm stack and - 14mm reach vs Giant Tcr Adv.
Compare: 2022 Giant Bicycles TCR Advanced TCR Advanced 2 Pro Compact M vs 2021 Trek Bikes Domane SL 6 54 - Bike Insights
Yes, it's what I said. The question is will it work for you?
Old 02-22-23, 06:39 PM
big john

Thank you for moderating the thread.. I'm sure he's thrilled that you're fine with it. Phew.
But are you fine with it?
Old 02-22-23, 06:42 PM
JohnJ80

But are you fine with it?
only because you are. you can't believe how much I value that affirmation.
Old 02-22-23, 06:48 PM
big john

only because you are. you can't believe how much I value that affirmation.
Funny guy.
Old 02-22-23, 06:53 PM
JohnJ80

Funny guy.
thank you. my wife tells me it's one of my most endearing qualities.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 02-24-23, 09:56 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I just got back into biking (I'm 57) and I rebuilt a mid 90's Cannondale R300, 22lbs. Not the lightest, but very light to me. Night and day difference for what I used to ride. I'm in the market for a gravel bike now and I like steel, but I can't imagine anything heavier than what I have now! The Cannondale may be old but it is so smooth, agile, quick, and the gears are smooth too.
Old 02-24-23, 11:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I just got back into biking (I'm 57) and I rebuilt a mid 90's Cannondale R300, 22lbs. Not the lightest, but very light to me. Night and day difference for what I used to ride. I'm in the market for a gravel bike now and I like steel, but I can't imagine anything heavier than what I have now! The Cannondale may be old but it is so smooth, agile, quick, and the gears are smooth too.
A word of advice: don't limit yourself to bikes only made of steel. There are lots of amazing bikes available now, with frames made of steel, aluminum, or carbon composite.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-26-23, 09:48 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
If speed is the most important factor, then a lighter bike is important. If versatility and comfort are important weight is a secondary issue. I have 6 bikes, their weights range from 20-35 lbs, the ones I ride most often weight 25 and 30 lbs.

Marc

Likes For irwin7638:
Old 03-02-23, 09:09 PM
hsea17

Update. I decided to stick to what I believe in and have experience with when it comes to frame size and geometry so for now it won't be a new bike, but had decided to change the crank arms from 172.5 mm to 170 mm and in that regard got a good offer about changing the entire groupset from the bike dealer, so now I have a bike that weighs 8.90 kg with pedals attached. As for the 170mm crank arms, I feel the pedal revolutions are somewhat easier/lighter and my arthritic knee at least welcomed shorter crank arms, but a little early to say for sure as I need a few more bike rides first.
hsea17
Likes For hsea17:
Old 03-17-23, 11:52 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
If a new lighter bike = more fun and is easier to lug up the stairs, I'd buy it if I were you. I'm 72, have PCa (Prostate Cancer) and ZERO TESTOSTERONE, biked yesterday 56 miles on my RANS V squared weighing in at 40+ pounds and worked my butt off in 16+mph winds. Had 1 short 1/2 mile section just 2.5 miles from home and end of ride with wind directly behind so was able to crank it up to 25.4mph. Was more fun than riding my Aero Giant Propel Advanced SL at 17lbs. hitting 36mph. Buy and enjoy 'cause tomorrow ain't guaranteed.
Good advice.
Old 03-18-23, 03:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My lightest bike is a Trek 760 with full 531 frame and tubular wheelset. It weighs 19lbs and just scoots when hammered. And today it would be considered heavy. Get the bike that turns you on or you just wont ride it as much.
Back in the late ‘80s I bought a used 660 built with 531. What a machine that was.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-23, 05:53 PM
big john

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Back in the late ‘80s I bought a used 660 built with 531. What a machine that was.
My Trek 660 was made from True Temper and had full Shimano 600. I never weighed it but I'm sure it was over 20 pounds. It cracked around the bottom bracket.
Old 03-20-23, 07:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
My Trek 660 was made from True Temper and had full Shimano 600. I never weighed it but I'm sure it was over 20 pounds. It cracked around the bottom bracket.
Mine had a Campy Nuovo drivetrain and black Modolo brakes with aero levers. I had arrived as a real cyclist. I rode the crap out of that thing until it developed a crack in the head tube. Banished it to the trainer and used it to rehab from what is now my first valve replacement. Finally snapped the drive side chainstay.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-23, 07:54 PM
big john

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Mine had a Campy Nuovo drivetrain and black Modolo brakes with aero levers. I had arrived as a real cyclist. I rode the crap out of that thing until it developed a crack in the head tube. Banished it to the trainer and used it to rehab from what is now my first valve replacement. Finally snapped the drive side chainstay.
Mine only had about 15K miles on it when it cracked. Trek was good about it but they didn't have a steel road bike anymore and they offered me a 1400 or something and I didn't want it so they gave me store credit. The shop had a lightly used Landshark frame for sale and I got it out the door for $150, including transferring all the parts.
Old 03-24-23, 09:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Late to this party. I took my Cervelo R5 into a Specialized shop. Specialized sells premium bicycles that may be very light weight. When I picked up my Cervelo the salesperson lifted it and said, "OMG this bike is so light". It is about 15.5 pounds with 45 mm carbon clincher wheels. Also it has the SRAM red eTap electronic shifting and carbon handlebars and stem. Offsetting some that lighter stuff is an SRM power meter albeit with carbon cranks. The best part is that it is a fun bike to ride.
Old 03-24-23, 04:26 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
First, some context. I'm 58, overweight, various physical difficulties. Very much an amateur, "not serious" bicyclist. I track my rides in Strava when I remember to turn it on, just to see how I'm doing. I try to do better, but I don't get competitive with myself or others.

I have a number of bikes that I've built, but none of them are what I'd consider to be truly light. All but one are at least 30 years old. All of them are steel of various types and qualities. When I built them, I tried to use the best components I could afford.

I can definitely feel a difference between the lighter bikes and the heavier ones. However, I don't think that the heavier bikes are any less pleasant to ride. I've only ever ridden my tandem solo, since my wife is afraid to ride...and in spite of its weight (a nice bike, but still pretty heavy), it's still very nice to ride, I just need to stay aware of its length. My commuter is a 32-year-old plain-gauge store-brand MTB that I put drop bars on, but it's a hoot to ride...I never feel like I need to baby it, it's dependable and nimble af.

I'm not saying that weight isn't important, but I guess it's not very important to me. I don't have stairs I need to hump them up and down, just a few steps on the front porch. I don't think I'd ever use a carbon frame or components...I value dependability, and I'm not inclined to risk catastrophic failure.
Old 03-25-23, 05:22 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I could probably lose 3-4 lbs. if I didn't carry so much stuff in my seat bag. Hardly ever use what is in it, and it's usually to fix someone else's bike when I do use it.
That might be worth addressing. It is hard for me to imagine what might be worth carrying for day rides to fix the bike that would add up to 3-4 pounds. I have generally carried about a pound of tools and spares on multi month tours and managed okay. Configured for daily riding near home I haven't weighed the little seat wedge, but it has less in it so it would certainly be lighter. Some of my kits are lighter. Each is tailored to a particular bike and stays on the bike. When I consider a pcking list I just count the little tool kit as part of the bike since it is always on the bike.

Granted weight will vary with the number and size of spare tubes if not using tubeless. So with a fat tire setup and multiple spare tubes for goat head thorn country I might carry as much as 2 pounds multi day ride, but, I would more likely be going tubeless for that and still only carrying one tube in case of a tubeless failure.

My first coast to coast tour I carried as much in tools and spares as you are carrying and possibly a bit more. I felt like it was worth it since I was looking out for my group. I carried lots of other questionable weight and regretted my packing choices every day. On hindsight I decided to never carry anything like that again. I have trimmed and trimmed the overall load (not just the tools and spares) every trip since then. The trips became more and more enjoyable as the weight went down.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-25-23 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-25-23, 06:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Weight is an important factor but then you can make a significant gain in speed using low rolling resistance tires set at a pressure dictated by a good pressure calculator - like on the Silca site. If you ride with tubes, go with latex to remove unsprung weight as well. Another thing that really benefitted me for climbs was getting lower gears. They are fantastic compared to mashing my old ones and being exhausted at the end of long steep climbs. You don’t have to spend big money to get a good gain in speed, or distance or both with just those items.