Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inflating 650b x 47 tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-23-20, 04:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts

Hi folks,

For on-the-road inflation, I know a frame-fit pump is the obvious choice, but could CO2 be used as well? How many of the big, 16g cartridges would be needed to get that tire to, say, 55lbs psi? Are there any other options?

TIA
Old 11-23-20, 04:40 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
Gas stations, this electric pump from Fumpa.
Old 11-23-20, 04:50 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
A 16g CO2 should work fine, although it may not get to 55psi. I usually carry 2, just in case the sealant fails and I need to install a tube.

On a side note, I don't know why anyone would want to run that size tire at that pressure. I have Terrene Elwood 650 x 47 tubeless tires on my gravel bike and I run them at 28psi rear and 25psi front. Even a few psi higher than that and it results in a very harsh ride.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 11-23-20, 05:55 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul

On a side note, I don't know why anyone would want to run that size tire at that pressure. I have Terrene Elwood 650 x 47 tubeless tires on my gravel bike and I run them at 28psi rear and 25psi front. Even a few psi higher than that and it results in a very harsh ride.
Agreed. There’s no point in riding 650b at that pressure. I’m usually at 20psi, fwiw (I run tubeless and I weigh 150lbs.).
Old 11-23-20, 07:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Thanks for the replies!

First off, I have no idea what pressure I should be riding at! Haha! I just got the bike built yesterday, and only rode up and down the street in font of the house to make sure I didn’t bolt something up backwards. I’m 230lbs and used to running 25mm tires at 100psi, so I just pulled the idea of 55psi for the 47mm out of butt; any pressure reccos based on my weight?

The bike came tubed, and I didn’t feel like converting it to tubeless right now, but probably will at some point. My roadies are tubeless, so I have some familiarity there.

It’s great to know a pair of 16g cartridges will be ample, because I have some of those on hand to build a kit bag with! My wife is also getting suspicious about how much I’ve spent already— too many packages on the porch!— and it’s true I’m a bit over the number I had in my head, so I’m not chomping at the bit to throw down nearly $200 on an Impero pump immediately; that can wait until spring.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-23-20, 09:09 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Thanks for the replies!

First off, I have no idea what pressure I should be riding at! Haha! I just got the bike built yesterday, and only rode up and down the street in font of the house to make sure I didn’t bolt something up backwards. I’m 230lbs and used to running 25mm tires at 100psi, so I just pulled the idea of 55psi for the 47mm out of butt; any pressure reccos based on my weight?

The bike came tubed, and I didn’t feel like converting it to tubeless right now, but probably will at some point. My roadies are tubeless, so I have some familiarity there.

It’s great to know a pair of 16g cartridges will be ample, because I have some of those on hand to build a kit bag with! My wife is also getting suspicious about how much I’ve spent already— too many packages on the porch!— and it’s true I’m a bit over the number I had in my head, so I’m not chomping at the bit to throw down nearly $200 on an Impero pump immediately; that can wait until spring.
Awesome! Post pics!

Here is a good place to start for pressure: https://info.silca.cc/silca-professi...ure-calculator

I started riding 650b in the spring and will never go back to 700c. Welcome to the club

Don’t worry about tubeless for now. Just enjoy the ride!
Old 11-23-20, 10:32 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
My Electra Townie has 26" x 2.0" tires. I keep them at 50psi to reduce the risk of pinch flats.

Though I'm a Super Clyde (315 lbs.), maybe I can reduce the psi a bit to get a more comfortable ride?
Old 11-23-20, 10:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by walnutz
Awesome! Post pics!

Here is a good place to start for pressure: https://info.silca.cc/silca-professi...ure-calculator

I started riding 650b in the spring and will never go back to 700c. Welcome to the club

Don’t worry about tubeless for now. Just enjoy the ride!
Thanks so much! Wow, it’s crazy to consider such low pressures for road riding as 36psi! Lots for me to learn...

I started a thread on the bike, a Breezer Doppler, over in General:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...pler-cafe.html
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-23-20, 04:05 PM
Slasharoo

Bikes: Orbea Onyx, Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Agreed. There’s no point in riding 650b at that pressure. I’m usually at 20psi, fwiw (I run tubeless and I weigh 150lbs.).
I run my 650X46 at 60# I ride on the road, mostly and some hard pack gravel MUPs. I can't imagine running so slowly at 20 psi...plenty comfy