Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 05:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Too bad they fail at the subjective measure of “soul”.

I’m still driving a 6 speed manual in 2023 and I’m not at all excited about the future of the driving experience.
My classic Porsche 911 has a 5-speed manual gearbox (the classic 915), which has the "soul" of a pig. I also recently had a modern 911 with PDK, which was lightyears better to drive in anger. The last daily driver I had with a manual H-pattern shift was just meh.
Old 02-20-23, 07:42 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I was merely disagreeing with your statement that the RD return spring gets stiffer toward the largest cog. I don't think that the RD return spring is a progressive spring; rather, its spring rate stays the same throughout the movement range of the RD.
I see. Well, you're wrong. A constant spring rate means each new additional distance of compression requires the same new added amount of force. But that's on top of the force already applied. So the first inch is 1 pound of force. So is the second inch, but that's on top of the first inch's 1 pound, so we're now at 2 pounds.

Rear derailleurs have the least spring force near the high stop and the most approaching the low stop. If you actually pick up and touch a derailleur this becomes pretty obvious.

Last edited by Kontact; 02-22-23 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-20-23, 07:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If you can't tell the difference, did you really need to shift?
It's on the preshift starting up or down. Anticipating something ahead. I had a 12 mile run in my neighborhood yesterday. Over 1000ft of climbing. Close to that descending. It was a constant up/down. Had I been on a bike, a triple would have got me through it with about half as much shifting as a double. 1X certainly would have been even worse, especially with 1 tooth jumps. It wouldn't have mattered whether the system was cabled or electronic. Misery either way. Uggghh!
Old 02-20-23, 08:02 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Too bad they fail at the subjective measure of “soul”.

I’m still driving a 6 speed manual in 2023 and I’m not at all excited about the future of the driving experience.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My classic Porsche 911 has a 5-speed manual gearbox (the classic 915), which has the "soul" of a pig. I also recently had a modern 911 with PDK, which was lightyears better to drive in anger. The last daily driver I had with a manual H-pattern shift was just meh.

I understand the attraction of a manual transmission. I have a 986 Boxster S with a 6 speed, as well as a 911 Turbo S with a PDK.

driving 6/10ths on a country road I prefer the Boxster with the top down and the manual transmission. It’s more engaging and more fun.

On a track, the PDK, is just better in every metric. The nature of the dual clutch, with the next gear already pre selected, and being engaged at the same time you disengage the gear you’re in, the PDK is simply faster to shift than is humanly possible with a manual .

And driving in the track at 10/10ths is already fully engaging without operating a clutch.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-20-23, 08:07 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I understand the attraction of a manual transmission. I have a 986 Boxster S with a 6 speed, as well as a 911 Turbo S with a PDK.

driving 6/10ths on a country road I prefer the Boxster with the top down and the manual transmission. It’s more engaging and more fun.

On a track, the PDK, is just better in every metric. The nature of the dual clutch, with the next gear already pre selected, and being engaged at the same time you disengage the gear you’re in, the PDK is simply faster to shift than is humanly possible with a manual .

And driving in the track at 10/10ths is already fully engaging without operating a clutch.
What about sitting in rush hour traffic? I'm sure one of them stands out in that situation.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-20-23, 08:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
I rarely get stuck in rush-hour traffic on my bike.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-20-23, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

I do get that. I've driven manual Boxsters and owned several modern manual 911s and as far as manual boxes go, they are quite nice. Much better than the old 915 box I mentioned before. But I'd still choose PDK today. I'm not that bothered about operating a manual clutch and waggling a stick, as long as I still have manual control of gear choice. It got me thinking how nice my classic 911 would be to drive with PDK since the slow, clunky shift really gets in the way of driving. I can see why they replaced that box on later 911s. It was a big improvement.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-23, 08:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I think there are RD with no return springs.

I recall looking at Jan Heine's bike at Paris Brest Paris about 500 km into it. The thing was ugly as hell and looked weak but if IIRC, it had two cables to actuate
Old 02-20-23, 08:49 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I rarely get stuck in rush-hour traffic on my bike.
I wasn't talking about their bikes. You know that. I guess you had to make a comment anyway.
Old 02-20-23, 09:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
On a track, the PDK, is just better in every metric.
That's different from global superiority, though. It is, in fact, a very narrow and rare use-case. Your earlier comments (including on previous threads) land as saying that dual-clutch auto-manuals are inarguably superior in all circumstances and preference for anything else is wrong, and then the responses tend to derail threads.
Old 02-20-23, 09:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I wasn't talking about their bikes. You know that. I guess you had to make a comment anyway.
I knew someone would disapprove. it's BF.

Maybe out your way, "humor" isn't a thing. That's okay.
Old 02-20-23, 09:18 AM
GhostRider62

Commute?

Yuck. You guys work?! Doesn't it impair your posting on BF?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-20-23, 10:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That's different from global superiority, though. It is, in fact, a very narrow and rare use-case. Your earlier comments (including on previous threads) land as saying that dual-clutch auto-manuals are inarguably superior in all circumstances and preference for anything else is wrong, and then the responses tend to derail threads.
What you can say about electronic sequential boxes is that they change gear faster and more efficiently than H-pattern manual clutch boxes. But just as we see with electronic bike shifters, some people just prefer to do things the old way. Preference is subjective, while performance is objective.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-23, 10:16 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I think there are RD with no return springs.

I recall looking at Jan Heine's bike at Paris Brest Paris about 500 km into it. The thing was ugly as hell and looked weak but if IIRC, it had two cables to actuate
yep, the “old is new again” nivex / desmodromic derailleur.

Old 02-20-23, 10:32 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
While the conversation about manual vs automatic car transmissions is fun and interesting, it has little to do with the differences between mechanical and electric shifting on a bike.

Does anyone really claim that a bike with a mechanical drivetrain is more fun/engaging to ride than a bike with an electric drivetrain? This sounds like pure nonsense to me. People who prefer mechanical drivetrains usually complain about the price, weight, complexity, battery life (you can just check it before you go ride, you know) etc - not the actual riding experience.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-20-23, 10:36 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Also, it doesn't shift automatically.
Old 02-20-23, 10:40 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
While the conversation about manual vs automatic car transmissions is fun and interesting, it has little to do with the differences between mechanical and electric shifting on a bike.

Does anyone really claim that a bike with a mechanical drivetrain is more fun/engaging to ride than a bike with an electric drivetrain? This sounds like pure nonsense to me. People who prefer mechanical drivetrains usually complain about the price, weight, complexity, battery life (you can just check it before you go ride, you know) etc - not the actual riding experience.
I prefer the feel of mechanical things, and the lack of servo noise.

I also don't care for the noise of loud freehubs, chirping computers, disc brakes and clicking BB cups.
Old 02-20-23, 10:48 AM
GhostRider62

I'm just waiting for the curmudgeons to switch to tube amplifiers, Beta, or French presses
Old 02-20-23, 10:50 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts

yeah. a traditional manual shift car has a manually operated clutch. a traditional automatic with a torque converter is really quite different. much more different than electronic vs “manual” shifting on a bike.

a modern mechanical group has an indexed “switch” you press to change gears. you supply the force but that’s it. there’s no skill in the “push” other than choosing when to do so relative to speed/effort/pedal tension. a modern electronic group also has a button. you just don’t supply the force to move the der and chain. so really the difference would be more like an automatic where you supplied the force, or not, to move the assembly.

i have never owned a car with an automatic, or a PDK, or an electric car, strongly preferring old fashioned synchronized manuals. but having two modern bikes with shimano groups, one electronic, one manual, i have to wonder if the people who prefer modern mechanical to electronic drivetrains have just never actually used one. or maybe they live somewhere with no access to electricity for any purpose? i can get “not worth the cost,” but “not as satisfying to ride?” can’t get my head around that.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 02-20-23, 11:05 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm just waiting for the curmudgeons to switch to tube amplifiers, Beta, or French presses
I literally have a tube amplifier sitting 10ft away from me right now. I also own a French press, though I rarely use it because it's more work than just popping a pod into the machine next to it.

As far as drivetrains, I'm on team electronic shifting - even though my current bikes are both mechanical I doubt I'd buy another mechanical groupset at this point. The electronic stuff just seems to work better, and having a little motor move my derailleur vs a cable does not seem like something that would have any measurable impact on my overall riding enjoyment either way.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-20-23, 11:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Pourover FTW. With a manual burr grinder.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-20-23, 11:29 AM
PeteHski

Does anyone really claim that a bike with a mechanical drivetrain is more fun/engaging to ride than a bike with an electric drivetrain?
Someone did actually claim that in another thread recently. But this is BF, so I wasn't surprised!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-23, 01:13 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Someone did actually claim that in another thread recently. But this is BF, so I wasn't surprised!
So that's two of us. How could this possibly be shocking? People wear mechanical wrist watches as well.
Old 02-20-23, 01:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I see. Well, you're wrong. A constant spring rate means each new additional distance of compression requires the same new added amount of force. But that's on top of the force already applied. So the first inch is 1 pound of force. So is the second inch, but that's on top of the first inch's 1 pound, so we're now at 2 pounds.
Yes, but in the RD context you have already applied the first unit of force to move the first distance in the first shift.

Originally Posted by Kontact
Rear derailleurs have the least spring force near the high stop and the most approaching the low stop. If you actually pick up and touch a derailleur this becomes pretty obvious.
That is because the geometry of the RD parallelogram. Each shift to the next larger cog involves a distance that is slightly greater than the previous shift.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 02-20-23 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-20-23, 01:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
I'm just waiting for the curmudgeons to switch to ... French presses
Come on. Real curmudgeons make their coffee using siphons or pour overs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.