Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 09-08-21, 10:47 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Now.. let's get back on track. I used to ride that road off La Tuna and the 210....but I stopped a number of years ago. It's all out in the open, and I imagine now really crowded. I road up to the Gabrilino Trail by JPL... closed but people were going past the barrier. Then I road over to the Henninger Gate on Pinecrest Dr.... locked of course, but I saw people hiking by the bridge.. there are a couple of ways to get in there. But this is a Federal closure and I fear a stiff citation, although I didn't see any authorities.
There will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them. I don't know the exact amount, but my understanding is that the citation for violating the shut-down carries a pretty stiff fine. I would like to ride Brown and El P, but my bank account tells me I should wait.
Old 09-08-21, 11:30 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
There will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them. I don't know the exact amount, but my understanding is that the citation for violating the shut-down carries a pretty stiff fine. I would like to ride Brown and El P, but my bank account tells me I should wait.
People are still going on the trails despite the closures? How hard is it to wait a few weeks just so we can get through the fire season without having to repeat what happened last year with mass fires up and down the west coast? It's easy enough to swing by Griffith Park or any number of hiking trails and fire roads to enjoy.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-08-21, 01:29 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Been hiking more lately but I miss cycling and my shoulder is still healing.
Got in a short but punchy ride in the La Habra Hgts-Whittier Hills. Quite a few cyclists out for a midweek morning.
Cypress Ave is fully repaved on up to and including Avocado Crest overlooking the Hacienda CC.

34 miles and 4200 ft of climb.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7452928835
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-10-21, 09:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I haven't been on my bike since Monday. I'm hopeful to squeeze in a ride tomorrow, but it's my youngest daughter's birthday, so it might not happen. That said, she's going to be 17, so she might not care.
Old 09-10-21, 09:57 AM
jonathanf2

Tuesday night I did 20 miles with my group ride doing DTLA laps and ending in Little Tokyo. I had a beer before the ride and maybe those beer carbs gave me energy, because my sprints felt fast!

Thursday I did 10 miles at the uphill back fire roads in Griffith Park. I think my hill climbing has been improving due to my weekly group rides and doing the same climb every week. Even though my legs were sore having done barbell leg and split squats the day before, I attacked the hill going non-stop while keeping a higher cadence than usual. I also limit my low gears restricting the lowest 2, but I'm thinking I should restrict a 3rd gear to make it more challenging. It's probably my favorite climb in LA. While I know I'm improving, I've seen how the real climbers attack that hill out of the saddle and can do it the entire way!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-10-21, 11:35 AM
jonathanf2

I haven't been on my bike since Monday. I'm hopeful to squeeze in a ride tomorrow, but it's my youngest daughter's birthday, so it might not happen. That said, she's going to be 17, so she might not care.
Buy your daughter a new mountain bike, so you have an excellent excuse to go bike riding at Cherry Canyon on her birthday!
Old 09-12-21, 12:08 PM
jonathanf2

I did 31 miles this Saturday riding from my house, taking the LA River bike path, looping around the LA Zoo and taking the back fire road up the Griffith Park Observatory. I'm terrible at conserving energy though, because whenever I see other riders in front of me, I'm determined to pass them! I ended up stepping on the gas, riding out of the saddle on the uphill while sprinting on flat sections of the fire road. Also I consider the final uphill road to the observatory as a mid-ride finish, so I always ride fast and hard on that last section into high gear to reach the top. On my way back down, I took Ferndell road, which was good practice for my downhill cornering, cut into Hollywood Blvd., did a few laps around Barnsdall Art Park (there's a small uphill/downhill one way loop, great for laps) and rode Sunset Blvd. all the way to Silver Lake and back across the LA River. When I got close to home, I realized I was just a few miles off the 30 mile mark, so I did a few laps around Highland Park and finished at the 31 mile mark.

On my bike ride that day I witnessed a Jeep crashing into a motorcycle, had a Tesla suddenly turning left in front of me, an SUV backing out of a driveway and a someone swerving right into a parking spot. Gotta love bike lane safety...or not! Came home thirsty and drank a gallon of water and devoured a large burrito! Slept like a baby that night!

I'm also just waiting on one more part on a new bike build, hopefully the part arrives this week so I can take it out for a spin!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-13-21, 05:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Buy your daughter a new mountain bike, so you have an excellent excuse to go bike riding at Cherry Canyon on her birthday!
I tried a few times, but she hasn't even shown much more than a casual interest in bikes. Besides, starting now, our schedule will be dominated with softball, including an event of some type every weekend until about Thanksgiving, then a few more in December. We celebrated her b-day all weekend, including field level seats behind home plate at Dodger Stadium to see Max Scherzer get his 3,000th strikeout (her idea), and watching 2 days of coverage of the weekend's Formula 1 race from Italy (she's a deeper fan that I am).
Old 09-13-21, 05:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Saturday - 1 hour Zwift ride. Steady zone 2-3 tempo work that has been missing from my cycling diet recently.

Sunday - 37 miles with the Coffee Ride group that starts in So. Pasadena. Easy tempo on the flats with a spicy finish. More horsepower in the group than usual. Made it to the bottom of the last climb with the lead group before getting ejected. Felt a little bit better overall than last time out.
Old 09-14-21, 01:14 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
I tried a few times, but she hasn't even shown much more than a casual interest in bikes. Besides, starting now, our schedule will be dominated with softball, including an event of some type every weekend until about Thanksgiving, then a few more in December. We celebrated her b-day all weekend, including field level seats behind home plate at Dodger Stadium to see Max Scherzer get his 3,000th strikeout (her idea), and watching 2 days of coverage of the weekend's Formula 1 race from Italy (she's a deeper fan that I am).
sounds like a perfect weekend. awesome performance by scherzer. as a dodger fan, will be eternally conflicted regarding the politics related to the stadium's construction.
even though it was completed in 1962, cannot deny it still delivers a great experience to this day.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-14-21, 01:37 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

55-spot originating/ending near sdsu. plowed thru city heights, kensington, normal heights, north park, university heights, hillcrest, bankers hill, point loma, ocean beach, mission valley, oak park, rolando and rolando village.

a day for neighborhoods. picked up an annual nps pass at cabrillo national monument. hit pizza port in ocean beach for what passes for lunch these daze. threw in 15 miles with a friend at the end of the ride/day.

pretty mellow but warm. precious little riding time lately but the butt felt decent with the saddle time. hydration was a definite issue. perhaps i should add a water bottle or two. two of the three water fountains i stopped at were shut off.

coast was cool. five miles inland (and more), not so much. only saw 7 other cyclists out.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-14-21, 11:25 AM
jonathanf2

Saturday - 1 hour Zwift ride. Steady zone 2-3 tempo work that has been missing from my cycling diet recently.

Sunday - 37 miles with the Coffee Ride group that starts in So. Pasadena. Easy tempo on the flats with a spicy finish. More horsepower in the group than usual. Made it to the bottom of the last climb with the lead group before getting ejected. Felt a little bit better overall than last time out.
Where's the Coffee Ride group start from in So. Pas? I might be interested in checking them out. There's a drop group in Culver City that runs high pace, but I've been looking for a group on the east side that might be similar.
Old 09-14-21, 11:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Where's the Coffee Ride group start from in So. Pas? I might be interested in checking them out. There's a drop group in Culver City that runs high pace, but I've been looking for a group on the east side that might be similar.
At Mission and Arroyo. The group gathers in front of Senor Fish, across the street from Trader Joe's. Roll out at 8:15. Easy pace (16-18mph) heading east. Pace ramps up a bit in Duarte. Coming back west includes some short hills, and people get a little spicy. Finish is in Sierra Madre at Baldwin and SM Blvd where people get a refreshment and shoot the $#!+ for a while. From there, people disperse back to home/car as they choose. There is one re-group at the top of Winston in Duarte, but it is not a no-drop ride. Recently it's been a group of about 30-40 riders, with most being older ex-racers.

If you want a seriously fast ride on the weekend, the Montrose Ride on Saturday is where it's at. 7:45 or 8:00 start from the same location. 7:45 is a little slower than 8:00, but still pretty fast. Both rides split in Irwindale for short or long options. Finish is also in Sierra Madre. The 8:00 group is typically over 100 riders. Be prepared to do 30+mph in a tight pack.
Old 09-14-21, 01:41 PM
jonathanf2

At Mission and Arroyo. The group gathers in front of Senor Fish, across the street from Trader Joe's. Roll out at 8:15. Easy pace (16-18mph) heading east. Pace ramps up a bit in Duarte. Coming back west includes some short hills, and people get a little spicy. Finish is in Sierra Madre at Baldwin and SM Blvd where people get a refreshment and shoot the $#!+ for a while. From there, people disperse back to home/car as they choose. There is one re-group at the top of Winston in Duarte, but it is not a no-drop ride. Recently it's been a group of about 30-40 riders, with most being older ex-racers.

If you want a seriously fast ride on the weekend, the Montrose Ride on Saturday is where it's at. 7:45 or 8:00 start from the same location. 7:45 is a little slower than 8:00, but still pretty fast. Both rides split in Irwindale for short or long options. Finish is also in Sierra Madre. The 8:00 group is typically over 100 riders. Be prepared to do 30+mph in a tight pack.
I live riding distance to the Mission and Arroyo meet-up. The pace on the return sounds similar to the DTLA meet-up and I should be able to keep up. Though I'm probably not ready for the Montrose Ride yet. It sounds similar to the Culver City meet-up that rides fast through the west side. I'm hoping to finish my bike build this week, which I was planning to use as a high gear road bike for these type of group rides.
Old 09-14-21, 02:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I live riding distance to the Mission and Arroyo meet-up. The pace on the return sounds similar to the DTLA meet-up and I should be able to keep up. Though I'm probably not ready for the Montrose Ride yet. It sounds similar to the Culver City meet-up that rides fast through the west side. I'm hoping to finish my bike build this week, which I was planning to use as a high gear road bike for these type of group rides.
Cool. I'd love to meet you out there, but it's doubtful I'm going to be able to do the ride for a while due to my kid's softball schedule.
Old 09-14-21, 03:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Shortish conditioning ride doing repeats around Turnbull. getting stronger, long way to go.
Sunny and about 80F with very little traffic on the roads. 30 miles and 3700 feet of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37506490

One troubling scene. A mtb rider descending Beverly Blvd on the wrong side of the street ran the four way stop on Painter/Beverly. SUV had to panic stop to avoid hitting him. Reckless and foolish. Salmoning and blowing stop signs is a deadly combo.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-14-21, 05:26 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Shortish conditioning ride doing repeats around Turnbull. getting stronger, long way to go.
Sunny and about 80F with very little traffic on the roads. 30 miles and 3700 feet of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37506490

One troubling scene. A mtb rider descending Beverly Blvd on the wrong side of the street ran the four way stop on Painter/Beverly. SUV had to panic stop to avoid hitting him. Reckless and foolish. Salmoning and blowing stop signs is a deadly combo.
yes it is. kudos to the suv driver. i don’t say that often.
Old 09-14-21, 05:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yes it is. kudos to the suv driver. i don’t say that often.
I drive an SUV. Just sayin'...
Old 09-14-21, 07:38 PM
diphthong

42-spot beer/lunch ride through the neighborhoods of: lemon grove, la mesa, el cajon, grossmont, san carlos, santee, tierrasanta, kearny mesa, serra mesa, grantville, talmadge, city heights and redwood village. cooler than yday. a few vehicular rush hour nutters i had to freeze in place with a backwards glance and lane placement. otherwise, a pleasant day out.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-14-21, 07:40 PM
diphthong

I drive an SUV. Just sayin'...
guessing your cycling experience has improved your driving awareness. it definitely has for me.
Old 09-14-21, 08:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
guessing your cycling experience has improved your driving awareness. it definitely has for me.
For sure.
Old 09-15-21, 08:45 AM
jonathanf2

Last night I did 17 miles on one of the steepest paved routes we've done on our Tuesday night group rides at Ernest Debs Park. I'm pretty sure more than half the group dismounted and walked their bike part of the way. I believe it was between a 12-14% elevation grade. I even had to unlock my two lowest gears on my 11-36t cassette which I never do even on hillclimbs. Of the age 40+ and up guys we all congratulated ourselves for making it to the top! When I got to the top I literally couldn't feel my legs, my head was dizzy and felt like I was going to puke. Though I have an urge to keep riding that hill since they plan a race there next month!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-15-21, 10:00 AM
jonathanf2

Cool. I'd love to meet you out there, but it's doubtful I'm going to be able to do the ride for a while due to my kid's softball schedule.
Same here, my daughter is starting soccer season so my weekends will start getting busy. Though I'll see if I can check out the Coffee Ride before the end of the month.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-15-21, 06:22 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
This morning was pretty cool so I rode up Mt Baldy until the Forest Service turned me back due to the forest closures. Was shooting for 100 miles but ended up doing ~73 instead. It was still good!
Likes For mikeymichaels:
Old 09-15-21, 08:15 PM
CAT7RDR

NFS restrictions are supposed to end Sept 17.

We'll see if that changes now that CA is a year round fire season.
Could use some of that Pineapple Express this year for sure.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.