Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kenda tire dissatisfaction

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 07:11 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

These tires are 1.5 years old with minimal use…. A friend came
to me with a bad wobble and I discovered holes in the base of the rubber… white marks are the light coming through
Contacted Kenda who really only cared if the were under 1 year and if I had proof of purchase….. really not concerned with the issue
Has Anyone ever seen these type of slit/ holes in the base rubber …. The tread is like new and the bike was stored in a garage.
Old 08-26-21, 07:33 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
No info on where they were ridden, or what was also stored in the garage (pool chemicals?), as this could be key, also, from where you located, suspect inside the garage is quite hot? .

No info on the model either, suspect they are OEM tires.

Just replace and move on, no point in worrying about something you can't fix.
Likes For jimc101:
Old 08-26-21, 07:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The "rubber" used in bike tires does not last forever and even just existing it is aging and turning brittle (we call this "dry rot"). We don't know how old these tires are and I'm including the time they sat in various shipping or warehousing situations. We see this kind of degradation often enough. Yes chemicals can speed this up as does exposure to UV (sunlight). Keeping the tires at riding pressure also speeds up the process.

Kenda has every right to ask for proof of purchase and to limit their warranty (if any is actually made public somehow) as they see fits their business model and liability exposure. Most of the bike component companies distribute their product via wholesellers then retail outlets (either on line or LBS). They choose this model partly to not have to support costumer service departments.

I would suggest going back to the retail source (on line or the LBS) and asking them for their view. Most LBS these days have customer sales records that could be the proof of purchase needed. The local retailer also has the greater obligation to take care of their customers as their customer base is FAR smaller then that of on line sellers. So where did your friend buy these tires? Shops do what are called "customer consideration" offers all the time when they know their supplier or the manufacturer won't back them up. It's one of the costs of being a brick and mortar shop. Please don't expect the shop to willingly give away their $ but asking them to share the cost is reasonable. Andy
Old 08-26-21, 09:19 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Those are Kenda K830 tires. Generally the reviews are good. But like everything, there are some bad ones too. Looks like a cheap OEM tire.

Sometimes it is not just mileage, road conditions, temperature, environment, rider weight play a big role how well a tire holds up. I’ve blown through a set of tires and the same tires on my wife’s bike look almost new, and this is about the same mileage.

The sidewalls on Vittoria Zaffiro tires would crack no matter if they were mounted or just hanging in the garage. I wasn’t happy, but they were cheap. Vittoria Rubino Pros have no such problems in the same environment.

As has been suggested, find a different tire on move from those.

John
Old 08-26-21, 10:59 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
It was used minimally…. 1.5 years old…..
yes not a high end tire….. but what my complaint was Kenda’s non caring attitude
​​​​​ Louisiana garage
thanks all
Old 08-26-21, 12:13 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

It’s not just Kenda.

No tire mfg will care that a minimally used cheap tire lasted 6 months past warranty. They might be polite about it, but that is the extent of things.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-26-21, 01:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Was the bike stored on its wheels with flat tires?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-26-21, 04:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
"Tell 'im, Ray."

"Kenda sucks."
Old 08-26-21, 06:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The sidewalls on Vittoria Zaffiro tires would crack no matter if they were mounted or just hanging in the garage. I wasn’t happy, but they were cheap. Vittoria Rubino Pros have no such problems in the same environment.
I certainly agree about Vittoria Rubino Pros as I have had great service and long tread life from numerous sets of them.

However, I have also had good results with Zaffiro Pros. I have a pair of them (700-32) on my Surly Midnight Special rain bike that were transferred from its predecessor so they have about 1800 miles and are three years old at this point. So far, no sidewall cracks or any other signs of distress. The bike is stored indoors so that helps.
Old 08-26-21, 06:30 PM
70sSanO

They weren’t the Zaffiro Pros, just the cheap wire bead Zaffiros.

Back when I was spending most of my time surfing with our boys and less time on the bike.

John